VIR north vs south

i-Zapp

Need some help, and i apologize if it's been hashed out on other threads... can someone give a description of the difference between N and S? considering coming down for the April event and although the N track seems to be more interesting, the fact that its a monday event makes it tricky. is it worth taking an extra day or two off? how are the two tracks for small bikes (my son runs a ninja250 in I group with other orgs).

junglelogic

I love them both. I usually try to do 2 days on south and 1 on north. I have been spending more time on north lately because I have so much time on south. Little tracks, like south, are fun for me because it's easy to learn and get up to speed. First time for both? Do both and make your own decision. If you can get time off work, there's no sense working when you can be railing around a racetrack. Priorities man! :)

shad0ws

junglelogic;262895 wrote: I love them both. I usually try to do 2 days on south and 1 on north. I have been spending more time on north lately because I have so much time on south. Little tracks, like south, are fun for me because it's easy to learn and get up to speed. First time for both? Do both and make your own decision. If you can get time off work, there's no sense working when you can be railing around a racetrack. Priorities man! :)

:rtfm:

I've yet to ride the South course but I love the North course and I mean LOVE. I'll be there on Saturday which I think is the 16th or something on the South Course.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Every day you ride at the track on any given weekend makes more bang for the buck for your travel expenses in my opinion.

Years ago we'd go to a NESBA event, ride one day, then go home to minimize the time off from work adn time away from our families.

But then gas prices started to go to $2+/gallon..so the mentality became, "If I'm going to spend all this money to go somewhere, screw it..I'm riding both days."

betarace

South. Fast flowing with tons of elevation change. Mostly downhill with some tight spots

North fast and flowing with uphill downhill and a straight with a kink that grows hair on your chest.

YouTube has bids of both. Both are excellent and compliment each other.

1bad7

Do them both you won't be disappointed! I love both tracks and each has its own character. I only live a few hours away from VIR but do the max amount of time I can. That and who wouldn't want to hang out an extra day in the paddock with all these crazy people!!!! Lol.

i-Zapp

how about for the 250? would one or the other be better, or worse? of course it doesnt have the legs of a bigger bike, but can def hang in the corners. we were going to open our season with barber (with stt) but decided this will be it instead. barber is a great bike track - it seems vir is too?

Ruhe52

250 on South or North should be fine. Of course just move off line on the straights and let the big dogs go then chew them up in the corners. I honestly don't think one would be better or worse than the other. N has a long front but again should not be an issue.

!ThatGuy!

VIR N is regarded as one of the premier tracks on the east coast. You WILL NOT be disappointed. Cant speak for South. Have yet to ride it.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Both tracks are fun, although I prefer the North track...If you can make it happen do the double days when traveling long distance, much more cost effective.

JRA

South is a super fun track. I like the North Course too but South is more fun IMO.

Now before all of the North Course fan boys jump on me I've heard just about every opinion on every track we ride in the SE. North is better, South is better, Road Atlanta is better, Roebling is better, Barber is better, Talladega is better...No wait, I've never heard that one from anyone, but it's a fun track too. :D

They are both very technical tracks but they are very different. South is FAST. I don't think the North Course is as quick of an average speed per lap but it is not slow; especially the front straight. I guess my point is they are both fantastic; I just prefer the South Course for the fun factor it gives me. Also, I go pretty good there and I really like the smaller paddock.

bmrboy

I will have to agree with JRA ... :) South is SUPER FUN.. I just love that little track... its up , its down , its very technical
down hill S' turn , sweeping left before wheelie hill ... then oak tree turn then BLAST-OFF front straight YEE HAA :wow:
Paddock area is perfect .. nice and cozy I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about that Shrew ....:agree:

Now North is bigger.. front straight & the Kink :wow: will get your attention , in a hurry ... not a good place to be STUPID !!
IMHO .. The remainder of the circuit flows nicely ... theres a couple different ways around ..... some nice quick passing areas
T2 thru T6 a fairly 1 line area.. up to T7 a word of caution ... can be touch & go ... pay attention you'll be fine ;) ......
From T7 to hog pen is fast & really fun ... Full coarse is the BEST of both worlds ...

VIR as a racing facility .... totally awesome place ... its my home track :tothetrack:

RADAR Magnet

I haven't ridden South yet but it's pretty unlikely you'd regret sticking around Monday to ride North. It's a great track and you get to maximize your travel costs.

Do both tracks, (if you can swing it) you WILL NOT be disappointed. The 'S' turn on south reminds me of what the corkscrew, at Laguna, might be like after going through a high heat cycle in a clothes dryer :)

North course.......no better feeling than hitting all of your marks from the 'rollercoaster', down through the 'hog-pen', and you come hauling peanuts up out of the hole, down the frontstretch... holy $#*T there's a kink in it :wow: down into turn one !!!

I'm in for all three days !!

i-Zapp

ok! i'm convinced - BOTH TRACKS it is!
now just have to convince the others in our group to take time off work/school. :argh:
thanks

DanQ

I've long been a fan of North Course. I did my road race school on the Grand Course (something that doesn't get run much and covers about every paved area on the facility) but learned to enjoy the North Course. My first several track days coming up to speed were on North, and it became a favorite.

When I got to run the South Course all by itself, I started to really hate it. By that point in time I had ridden VIR Grand, North, Full; Barber, Jennings, CMP, Road Atlanta and probably a course or two that I've forgotten. And VIR South was to me the worst of them by any means. I then talked to a few NESBA Control Riders, and had the benefit of doing a track walk (if you can do one, please do. It will transform ANY track) with NESBA's own JRA. After which, I look forward to any outing at VIR South, and actually prefer it over several other tracks. While I still like VIR North more from a comfort standpoint, I now enjoy riding the South Course thanks to JRA taking the time to walk and explain things. And I look forward to returning and hopefully walking it with him again.

If you get the chance, please do ride them both. Definitely great things to have in the experience bucket list as it were.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I'd take North any day of the week over South. South is a fun course, but something about North is just flat out great!