VIR upgrades

D-Swens

meanstrk;225437 wrote: Looks like the raised "backstop" has been removed from the curb on the exit from Oak Tree... At least it's not raised to the top of the ridges.
It hasn't been removed at all! Look a little closer, it is still there completely, the grass has just grown over it a little. That backstop adds structural support and looks very permanent, and is a NIGHTMARE for bikes and riders a like.

D-Swens

betarace;225331 wrote: here are some examples of FIM curbing that look similar (in finished form)
fifiausq-620x250.jpg

Laguna installed similar to get FIM re-certification
136674_laguna+seca-1280x960-jun8.jpg._slideshow_169.jpg

2005 BBS chatter from BARF http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124068
Those curbs at Laguna are waaaay less aggressive than what VIR installed. Same concept, just a much less brutal version.

physicistkev

Control Rider
I don't see what the big deal is. The stepping is always going with the flow of the track. Even so, if you are dealing with the curbing, you're already on the way off track or off bike.

There are a few spots where you can go over the curbing on 2 wheels, and those are when the bike is vertical. You don't want to drag your knee on curbing, of any kind. Ask CR Troy (Landshark) about that.

So, to recap. You don't really want to run over the curbing. You don't want to put your knee on curbing. This curbing is going outside the existing curbing, so it really shouldn't bother you at all.

As far as crashing over the curbing, yes the raised edge will tend to grab anything that goes over it. I would argue that the original curbing is going to get you going up and over the new curbing. This should minimize body parts getting caught on the raised outer edge. I said, "minimize" not alleviate. My advice... don't crash.

I don't remember who said it, but one large improvement will be visual acuity if they paint it red and white.

Kevin

Perlzuki

Two things pop up when I look at the new "IMPROVEMENTS":doh: made by VIR in these pics. 1: No way for water to drain away from the track??? 2: Look to the right. THE TIRE WALL IS STILL WAY TOO CLOSE ! If you go back over the history of VIR, the worst injuries & worse have occured when riders, drivers lost it coming out of this turn & had no time to get things together & PLOWED IN TO THE TIRES WALL:argh: I spoke to Kevin at VIR the day of Brian Johnson & Pitzers crash in this spot & he said he would check into the issue. Nothing has been done. The new "IMPROVEMENTS " could allow for more disaters to happen in this section of the track! VIR is a awesome facility & big fun to ride. If you choose to ride there, just slow down in this area as it's only a trackday & 1-2 seconds really are not worth what could be a life changing event. Always ride safe:D

Mark
SE CR #249 retired

snikwad

how can they hope to get FIA approval and they havent touched the tire wall that's claimed so many lives?

eagletangogreen

I dont get what the big deal is?? Your on the gas there and I bet it will help with wheel coming up (kinda like RA turn 5) .

I like it cant wait to ride it!!

meanstrk

Control Rider
I see the only big deal as being that "back stop" that can kill wheels/tires and catch bodywork and pegs and bones. If that back lip was not there I would not see it as a big deal.

noobinacan

^ yup
Its on the outside of oak tree, you can low side on the entry or loose front mid-corner or any of those.
you catch peg at any of these places and who knows where the bike will end up.

When anyone says "Oh I don't care, I'll still ride VIR"
VIR says "ok cool, we won't change anything then"

When all motorcycle orgs collectively say "Sorry, we're not going to show up to VIR, until and unless you address the curbs"
then you're at least putting pressure on VIR.

anyways..the positive part so far is that VIR is listening and there are two people now representing the motorcycle community and and the least we're hoping for is that back wall gone

VIR Inviting Former AMA Pro Road Racing Operations Manager Barrick To Inspect Controversial FIA Curbing

oakTreeExit.jpg

snikwad

like anything else, its perfectly fine IF you dont crash there. So yeah, ive got no probelm riding over it either, its if someone goes down and goes sliding over it that im worried about.

denbsteph

I'm sure I'm not the only that has run off this part of the course, in my opinion, I'm not to crazy about this addition, especially the divots. Lets hope they make some changes. Hopefully their intentions are NOT to run off the motorcycle community.

denbsteph

Bodell: ROFLMFAO!!. I'm crying, that would definitely make it for an exciting weekend, to say the least. This thread needed some humor and you brought it.

flynlow69

kinda reminds me of riding the stairs down after drinking all night and shooting pool in the bonus room! Just relax and enjoy the ride! jk

we're lucky to have a great group of orgs to give our input and a good local track like VIR to work with. Still beats the crap outa riding on the street ;)