Waiting list for open spots on trackdays

joeyb

This waiting list for trackdays is not very "user friendly" I signed up for the waiting list for a trackday in the middle of September for VIR patriot 10-18-09. I have missed out on 4 attempts to get the trackday from this waiting list:argh:. It seems more like a waiting lottery than a waiting list. Most lists go in order from when someone signed up for it, not just sending out a mass email to however many people are on the list, and if you happend to be lucky enough to be on the computer and can click the mouse button fast enough you get the trackday. Doesn't seem very fair to me, the first 3 days I missed out on, it took me about 20 mins from the time I got the email on my blackberry that a day was open to the time I was able to log in to get it, I can understand how I lost out on that. But this last one I got the email at 2:46, was logged in by 2:48 trying to buy it and it says it is sold out AGAIN!!!! :banghead: There has got to be a better way to do this "Wait list":notsure::dunno:

geckert

Yea i was so pissed I kept missing the emails by 10 minutes I almost went and bought a cellphone, and I hate cellphones. But, there really is no other way to do it. NESBA needs to fill the spots and the sure-guarantee is to notify everyone and let them fight for it. If a quene was used how would you deal with people on the top of the list who do not check their emails or just dont respond then the other people miss out... :notsure:

headstart

geckert;88485 wrote: Yea i was so pissed I kept missing the emails by 10 minutes I almost went and bought a cellphone, and I hate cellphones.
You almost bought a cellphone??? WOW, hopefully that crisis was averted. Ok, now please don't start a long thread about the evils of cellphones/technology, after all we are posting all of this on the internet. I just hadn't run into a "refuses to give in to mobile phone" person for a while. :D Nothing wrong with not having a mobile phone.

Back to the wait list feedback.

dmb367

Modify the waitlist agreement. Make it say that if you sign up for the waitlist and a spot opens up then you are automatically signed up for that day and have to pay the fee. Then put a numbering system on the wait list, i.e. if one spot opens up number one on the list gets in, and so on.

They did that for my classes in college.

Mr.DJ

We have to establish a cutoff date - no automatic charging within 48 hours. Then you have the multiple day issue. I want both, but only one is open - move to next person? A little different than a class, without dependencies. We've talked about this before and there are other issues that escape me right now.

I wonder how many charge-backs we would have. It have to be a manual process (moon/sternsi), due to the back end system doesn't support delayed charging nor the above mentioned caveats. We could hire someone, but you know how that affects the cost of track-days.

joeyb

I was thinking if you are next on the waitlist and a spot comes open, you get sent an email and you have 24 hours to respond and collect your spot. If you don't respond in time, it goes to the next person in line and if another comes available you get another email with 24 hours to respond.
It would also be nice if the list could be publicly viewed, maybe start a thread for each full trackday, once they the days fill up, you post a message that you want to be next in line, that way you would be able to tell if it was even worth getting in on the list.
The multiple day thing would be the same way, if you have signed up on the waitlist for multiple days and only one day comes available, take it and wait for the other day to come available or leave it and let someone else have it. Just my thoughts, anyone else?

Mr.DJ

joeyb;88555 wrote: I was thinking if you are next on the waitlist and a spot comes open, you get sent an email and you have 24 hours to respond and collect your spot. If you don't respond in time, it goes to the next person in line and if another comes available you get another email with 24 hours to respond.
It would also be nice if the list could be publicly viewed, maybe start a thread for each full trackday, once they the days fill up, you post a message that you want to be next in line, that way you would be able to tell if it was even worth getting in on the list.
The multiple day thing would be the same way, if you have signed up on the waitlist for multiple days and only one day comes available, take it and wait for the other day to come available or leave it and let someone else have it. Just my thoughts, anyone else?
Whoa! that is a lot off roll-over time. You can quickly run out of time for folks to plan time off, kids, etc....The thread thing is another manual process that would have to be maintained for all the regions - something we need to avoid. Then you have the potential of one person holding day 1 in hopes to get day 2 later. He/She realizes 48 hours prior that it may not happen and cancels. Meanwhile, someone else could have attended, but now too short notice. That scenario doesn't get the maximum on the track. It has the potential of max revenue with fees, but that is not the objective.

I know it sounds like a simple fix to a frustrating problem. Right now the "land grab" process is the best we have until another "balanced" solution is presented.

Hmmm.... pre-pay priority list? If no space available (only) - then it stays as a credit toward next event. good for one year. How bad is that?

Myers

Control Rider
Mr.DJ;88566 wrote:

Hmmm.... pre-pay priority list? If no space available (only) - then it stays as a credit toward next event. good for one year. How bad is that?

Meat

Could also have a radio button on the waitlist sign-up to indicate that you only want the spot if it is for both days, or one day. And have auto-payment set up. So, if you are on the waitlist (for which you must choose to be on) and a spot comes open that you designated (either one day or two days) then your account is charged. Then if the person can't do the day, then they would be subject to the normal cancellation policies already in place in nesba.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
The problem with auto-payment is that NESBA would then need to keep your credit card info on file? They currently don't, and I wouldn't want that info kept on file, personally. Just another thought, as I had my cc info hacked from another org's database.

NESBA used to do it in order of who signed up first on the waitlist, I believe, and it was a logistical nightmare? I'm sure someone involved with it back then could comment.

I don't see an easy way to do it in order. Waiting 24 hours is too long, if it's close to the event, NESBA could end up with empty slots, thus losing money.

Maybe someone can come up with a better idea, but I can't think of one.:notsure:

Mr.DJ

HondaGalToo;88595 wrote: The problem with auto-payment is that NESBA would then need to keep your credit card info on file?
No, charge you in real-time.

HondaGalToo;88595 wrote:
NESBA used to do it in order of who signed up first on the waitlist, I believe, and it was a logistical nightmare? I'm sure someone involved with it back then could comment.
Yup - goes back to calling everyone, then how long do you wait for member to sort things out before you move on.

joeyb

If there is a cancellation from 0-7 days out, the person who had that day gets $0 refunded so I don't understand how 24 hours would leave NESBA out of revenue for that spot? Maybe 12 hours then? As a customer, the way it is now, isn't working for alot of people besides just me I'm sure. I would even be willing to be setup as automatic payment, as long as I knew where I was on the list and have my account automatically debited for the amount. Are there that many trackdays that sell out where it would require that much effort to keep track of something like this? I dunno maybe I'm just not thinking of all the logistics of it, just the customer satisfaction side of it. If nothing could be worked out, at least change it from a "waiting list" to a waiting lottery ;)

Mr.DJ

joeyb;88634 wrote: If nothing could be worked out, at least change it from a "waiting list" to a waiting lottery ;)
LOL That's the way it is now ;) everyone has a winning ticket. The first one to claim it wins. At least this way to dont have to keep hammering the server wondering if there is a spot.

This wait-list doesn't work for only those that don't get a spot. I agree with no revenue lost if no refund within 7 days.

I think my question still stands on pre-pay, but holding one day waiting for another can create an unfair situation for others. One way to avoid that is waiving the cancellation policy. Once confirmed you're in. No backing out.

In a sense, taking a lesson from the airlines. All flights from LGA to LA are currently sold out. However, it has a layover in O'Hare. There is one seat available. Would you like that now and check back later for any cancellations? No? OK - Next.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
The easiest way to get around the wait list "problems" is to sign up early. Plan ahead. I plan my entire year within a week of the schedule being released.

jcrich

joeyb;88634 wrote: If there is a cancellation from 0-7 days out, the person who had that day gets $0 refunded so I don't understand how 24 hours would leave NESBA out of revenue for that spot? Maybe 12 hours then? As a customer, the way it is now, isn't working for alot of people besides just me I'm sure. I would even be willing to be setup as automatic payment, as long as I knew where I was on the list and have my account automatically debited for the amount. Are there that many trackdays that sell out where it would require that much effort to keep track of something like this? I dunno maybe I'm just not thinking of all the logistics of it, just the customer satisfaction side of it. If nothing could be worked out, at least change it from a "waiting list" to a waiting lottery ;)

I have never not gotten a spot when I have had to use the wait list, at least 5 times since the change was implemented. I railed about the change when it occurred, but I am completely satisfied with how it has worked out. YMMV.

joeyb

I realize that the VIR patriot day is popular for multiple reasons (end of the year, price, and because I want it :D )and there are quite a few waiting for it, so I'm sure this is part of the reason I keep losing out. I was hoping to avoid getting into this position by purchasing this day on 9-21-09, but I guess I was a day late.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yeah, forgot about the cancellation policy, since I'm an elite member this year. So, in theory, there are a lot of folks that can cancel up to a day before and get a refund, so there could be revenue lost, just not as much as I was thinking, perhaps.