Was it time?

TeamBeer

This is the rear I took off after the third afternoon session Sunday at Barber. Do you think I could have gotten another session out of it?

picture.php

I wondered why it was getting so loose going over the seams. :doh:

7-FITTY

Its not unusual to feel movement over the sealer patches. Always ride within your confidence level if that means a tire change do it. Hope we will see you at Road Atlanta.

TeamBeer

Once I changed that rear I didn't feel them at all. I will be at Road Atlanta all weekend. Are there some wavey sections at Barber? It felt like I was bouncing in a few sections.

nk140

TeamBeer;181875 wrote: Once I changed that rear I didn't feel them at all. I will be at Road Atlanta all weekend. Are there some wavey sections at Barber? It felt like I was bouncing in a few sections.
My 600rr rear was bouncing around in a few sections

TeamBeer

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me or my tires. It is the only place I have experienced that. Other tracks seem to have bumpy spots, but that was smoother and more like waves. I guess between Grand Am, IRL and the various sports car series they put a lot of stress on the pavement.

Matt

Dude, that tire was down to cords!!!

I ran an NTEC that low once.. I knew because it was finally starting to slide around on my 600rr..

that tire is DONE!

TeamBeer

Is there a down side to flipping tires around other than having to have them remounted and balanced? They have a direction of rotation marked on them, but I know the the sipes don't make a difference.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
As Matt mentioned, that tire is gone. I have flipped rears with no problems. The challenge is that you have to flip them early enough so you still have rubber for the other side. Just keep an eye on the tires after each session.

I have not used them, but the 211's tend to chunk when flipped. If you search the BBS there is a thread about this. Some people won't do it, others will, and keep an eye on it.

TeamBeer

I have no intention of trying to use that tire again, but this was the first time with the Power One and I didn't know how far I could go. Guess I know now.

physicistkev

Control Rider
Flipping shouldn't be a problem if you do it soon enough. Once you have worn down one side of rubber, it's not worth flipping. In the A group, I would think that you will need to flip a tire every day.

For my pace and tire wear, if I flip the 211 GPA rear every day I could see getting 3, maybe 4 days out of it. I had a Medium 211 GPA for Barber and I have a little rubber left on the right side. I did not flip the tire after the first day, but I will from now on. This tire is good for another day, or half day, if I were to flip it now.

As always, listen to what your tire is telling you. It will let you know when it's time. If you are smooth and build you pace methodically and in small increments, you will get a bunch of warning before the tire lets go.

As far as bumps go, I had some major issues out of 4 (just over the crest of the hill) and out of the kink in the back straight. If I were to the right of the track at either place, I was getting a bucking bronco type effect. You can hear it in the videos (http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=18638). It wasn't to bad as long as I steered clear of the bumps. It does seem I need some suspension work though.

KH

jcrich

TeamBeer;181980 wrote: Thanks! Those are exactly the places I was feeling the bumps.
I have found if you move 2 -3 feet left of the curbing at the top of 4 there are no bumps. I honestly have never felt any at the kink,, but doesn't mean they are not there.

physicistkev

Control Rider
jcrich;181983 wrote: I have found if you move 2 -3 feet left of the curbing at the top of 4 there are no bumps.

Yeah, if I moved a bit wide in 4, and short shifted into 4th gear going up the hill (Thanks JRA), I rarely hit the bumps in 4.

jcrich;181983 said:
I honestly have never felt any at the kink,, but doesn't mean they are not there.
I was trying some passing on the exit of 11, by staying inside on the exit, and that was a mistake. I found that I really needed to take the line carrying me through 11 to the left curbing on exit and then make my way back to the right for turn 12 pretty far down the short straight. If I moved right aggressively (early) I was in an area of bumps. Not to upsetting, and didn't affect my turn in on 12, but I could feel it.

Kevin

jcrich

physicistkev;181986 wrote:
jcrich;181983 said:
I have found if you move 2 -3 feet left of the curbing at the top of 4 there are no bumps.

Yeah, if I moved a bit wide in 4, and short shifted into 4th gear going up the hill (Thanks JRA), I rarely hit the bumps in 4.

I was trying some passing on the exit of 11, by staying inside on the exit, and that was a mistake. I found that I really needed to take the line carrying me through 11 to the left curbing on exit and then make my way back to the right for turn 12 pretty far down the short straight. If I moved right aggressively (early) I was in an area of bumps. Not to upsetting, and didn't affect my turn in on 12, but I could feel it.

Kevin
Gotcha. :cheers: Yeah the short shift up the hill is the way to go. The quickshifter makes it even nicer.