WERA @ Barber May 11th/12th

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Fun weekend! I did the middleweight solo race on Saturday. 16 laps is...A LOT of continuous seat time! :eek: Surprisingly enough, my fastest lap of the race was on lap 16, a 1:39.75 (Finally breaking that :40 mark!) I totally meatballed the start, and lost quite a bit of time doing the hot pit. I know they say there's no pit speed limit, but there was just too much foot traffic to feel comfortable tearing down pit lane. I managed to get my way back into a 5th place finish, so I'm happy with that.

Got two 10th places on Sunday, C Superbike and C Superstock. There was quite a bit of folks in both races, so I (barely) finished in the upper half of the group, so I'm still very satisfied with that. I could definitely feel my back tire starting to get tired towards the end of the day. A new rear tire would have really helped my drive out of the corners.

I REALLY need to get some stainless lines to replace the stock brake lines up front. LOL I'll have some new lines on there before the next race/track day.

:tothetrack:

Relic

Good stuff. Here's my race report from the weekend, my first ever in the Expert class:

Race # 1: Formula 1 (6-lap sprint): Bike stalls in lap 1, right after the chicane following the museum turn. Just dies on me. I pull over to the right (had the sense to pull over off the race line) and wait for the crash truck to come get me. Meanwhile the race progresses. I sit and twiddle my thumb. Damn! This is embarrassing. Then I try to start the bike and, lo and behold, it starts. I decide to re-enter the race. By the time I complete lap 4, the race is over. Could never figure out why the bike died on me. Nervously decide to "fuggedaboutit."

Overall position: 19/21

Race # 2: A Superbike (6-lap sprint): Get a bad start (as usual). But no stalling...I actualy complete the race. Personal best time of 1:38:939.

Overall position: 17/26

Race # 3: Senior Superbike (6-lap Sprint): Get a decent start. I'm slowly getting the hang of these launches!

Overall Position: 8/28. Personal best time of 1:38:708 and average time of 1:39...good consistent pace.

Summary: Great first weekend as a WERA Expert. I'm beginning to see how I can get to 1:36 at Barber. That's my new goal! This bike is pretty amazing!

Just in case you are wondering, the Formula 1 was won by AMA racer James Rispoli (fastest time 1:32) and the A Superbike was also won by James Rispoli (1:31). Yes...I raced with an AMA racer. Gridded ahead of him (because I happened to register earlier)...had half a mind to turn my GoPro camera around and focus on James Rispoli! Ha ha!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Yeah, I've been reading the exploding drama on the WERA beeb about having AMA guys in WERA races... :)

Couldn't imagine launching a S1000 monster at the start!

I would have swung by and said hello if I knew some other NESBA folks would have been there! There was a big turn out there...too many bikes to count!

Relic

Otto Man;273346 wrote: Yeah, I've been reading the exploding drama on the WERA beeb about having AMA guys in WERA races... :)

Couldn't imagine launching a S1000 monster at the start!

I would have swung by and said hello if I knew some other NESBA folks would have been there! There was a big turn out there...too many bikes to count!
Yes...quite a drama. I wish I were in contention for a podium to better understand what the fuss is all about. :D
The weekend was really awesome with some great races. How about that 15-yearl old Roberts?. He's something else, no?

Good luck at your next race. I think mine's going to be the Cycle Jam at RA.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
crash675;273905 wrote: I should be at Road Atlanta cycle jam as well ill try to find you guys when I get there.

You were there at Barber, right?

Anyways, I got bored and made a short little video of a couple of the highlights. Even I
struggle with watching an entire race...and I'm the damn dude riding.

:haha:

http://youtu.be/hXjbYx6YS0Y

crash675

Nah I wasnt at barber. Ive ran with you at some of the vir north days. Im trying to do most of the mid atlantic series this year. Summit didnt go so well for me as the season opener.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
crash675;273907 wrote: I should be at Road Atlanta cycle jam as well ill try to find you guys when I get there.
Wish I could make it, but I'll be right in the middle of moving. Second half of June and on...it's on like Donkey Kong.

:tothetrack:

nroussin

Otto Man;273906 wrote: You were there at Barber, right?

Anyways, I got bored and made a short little video of a couple of the highlights. Even I
struggle with watching an entire race...and I'm the damn dude riding.

:haha:

http://youtu.be/hXjbYx6YS0Y
Looks like one Hell of a track, great video man! And nice riding!