What is the best way to map a Bazzaz Z-FI TC

TeamBeer

I have an 08 GSX-R600 with a Bazzaz Z-FI TC and Z-AFM. I bought the bike with 2,400 miles ready for the track. What I am trying to figure out is should I have it dynoed or just let it self map. Also, if I go with self mapping, do I need to do it at each track or just map it once? The Bazzaz manual doesn't tell you very much.

DFlowe

I like the self mapping feature you get by using the AFM. You continue to refine the map you build by using it over and over again until the changes are very small. At the point, I disconnect the AFM and remove the oxygen sensor.

As for custom maps for different tracks, It's possible but I don't go to all that trouble. The differences would likely be very small.

Matt

Dyno it. The AFM is great for street and dyno tuning... but I've been hearing it's a little finicky on the track.

You don't really need a map for each track. Just get a good dyno tune and run it. Have fun tuning the TC!! I can't wait to get mine.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
+1 on the Customer dyno map by a good tuner..absolutely CANNOT beat it.

It's not so much about peak power..but more about a an even power curve with no dips in the horsepower curve. You want an linear climb up through the revs to your peak power.

Shameless plug here...Karn's Performance in PA does a remarkable job on his dyno. I've had him do two bikes for me. Both ended up with perfect power curves all the way to peak power. He found me 4 more hp on my 600 on just the dyno work alone, and the 1000...well, that was more than just dyno work. :D But, that motor's REALLY sweet.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Down your way there are several really good tuners.

VERY close to Road Atlanta is RM Racing..he's the tuner for Melissa Paris. Rick's a super nice guy who's also really talented.

DFlowe;162181 wrote: I like the self mapping feature you get by using the AFM. You continue to refine the map you build by using it over and over again until the changes are very small. At the point, I disconnect the AFM and remove the oxygen sensor.

I agree with the keep remapping feature. I have done the following when doing new maps:

1) Run one session and see how the bike runs
2) Map for session 2 and apply the changes
3) Map for session 3 and apply the changes
4) Ride the bike...

I tend to agree/disagree with it mattering about what tracks you are out. Road Atlanta to Jennings.. no big deal. Miller to anywhere else or anywhere else to Miller you might want to remap. I know I had to....

Lastly, if you’re running race fuel make sure you remove the Oxygen sensor when you are not mapping because the race gas will mess up the sensor in about 500 miles (there is a reason Bazzaz sells just the sensor separate)

One more thing, make sure you pay attention to your TC map also. You want the TC on in areas where you will be leaned over coming out of turns but not where you will be on the gas on the straight away. You basically have to think about the track and wonder what gear/RPM you will be around when exiting a turn. For example you don’t want TC to be active in 6th gear because you will not be exiting a turn in 6th gear. You can tell when somebody has the stock map on because you can hear it going down the straight away (especially on litter bikes). Another place you don’t want TC is when you are above say 90% on the TPS because you are more than likely already on the meat of the tire before you get to 90% on the throttle.