What is VIR Patriot like?

junktionfet

I just had my first bike track day on the 4th at VIR South. I've been on VIR Full in a car before, but that's my only other experience. I really liked VIR South even though I feared that I might not.

I ride an RC51, and they aren't known to be exactly nimble, though it did surprise me on VIR South's "Spiral". In automotive circles, I've heard that VIR Patriot is like an autocross course without the cones--not a lot of speed, a lot of low speed sharp corners, direction changes, etc. How is it on a bike? And more importantly, is it a course best suited only for modern uber-lightweight 600s?

I ask because I'm looking at track dates down the road that I can attend, and Patriot was in there a few times, but I want to make sure it's going to be flowing and enjoyable.

Thanks all!

Burnall4

its ummm, short, lots of work (have to constantly shift from side to side, and fun the first time after that its just boring. worth doing once, but not on a regular basis, just my opinion though!

bmart

Control Rider
Junktionfet,

I love Patriot, for all of the reasons Burnall4 hates it.

It is technical. I do not think it is a lot of stop and go, but like few other courses, you have to put it all together or your whole lap is going to be hard and uncomfortable. It makes you be smooth and consistent. Like South, there are a lot of places where you cannot see through the turns, or where the turn is off camber.

No matter what your preference is, you should ride it for a day. It is the only way to be sure!

See you on the 18th?

b

betarace

patriot is a flowing 3rd gear track, plan on 100+ laps in a day, lots of fun... I made the mistake of doing it before a day @ VIR Full last year - on the 2nd day at Full my legs were on fire... a "learners track" like summit jefferson - easy to learn, a lifetime to master!

Fatboy

Patriots fun but a work out. If you liked south just think of this.......you get to do from fish hook to T1 backwards. Going UP the corkscrew ROCKS. I'll see you there!!!

superkain

actually, that sounds fun! i hated T1 and T7, but perhaps they will be better in reverse?

i wonder if turn 6 will be troublesome...

JVance

It is a lot of fun and just like mentioned above short and a good workout. I think you will be fine on the RC. Put it in 3rd and go.

justariot66

Patriot is a great little track I would never do a patriot/patriot weekend cause it would be boring, but as an add on day to south or north its great. The best place to go if you are new to the track experience it shows you how a race track is so differnt to the street.

I always quote my know-it-all street riding friend. He said to me one day "I was in a tight turn on the southern state highway." I just had to laugh in his face, he tried to recover and say "anything is tight at 160 mph"

Patriot is awesome fun and and rc51 will be cool for that track as it has TORQUE and can shoot from one turn to another.

Dave #66

Tony A

Rode it for the first time yesterday, and thats one fun little track.
Sure limited pass areas, but it really makes you think about your set up for passing, and great for learning to flick that bike left to right or right to left, working on making it a smooth tranistion.

junktionfet

We were there yesterday and got quite a workout. My legs and shoulders are still a bit sore from hustling that RC51 around. I enjoyed that track, though I can't see making a habit of it. It's just so physically exhausting--I cut my last session short by 6 minutes because I was just too damn worn out. Other than that I like the layout, there are no shortage of curves, but most of the deep ones are right handers.

superkain

I'm watching my footage from yesterday. My first session was suckage. my last couple sessions was pretty fluid. although you could tell i was getting tired at the end of the last session.

I've got some video of a few of us coming up on the bike in the middle of the track and splitting around it.

All in all a great day for learning.

btw: who the hell is Flego?

superkain

that dude is great! he keeps passing me in sessions, clean passes, and i can hang with him for a while, but he just gains time on me a bit in every turn until he's gone.

hella good rider, just wanted to meet him sometime.

Grassman

O hell no dont say that .... his head is way to big now it cant get any bigger ... haha hes a friend of mine i will let him know i will just say someone was looking for him to kick his ass for riding like one ....lol

Grassman

superkain

I've got some video of a few of us coming up on the bike in the middle of the track and splitting around it.

Can we see that video i may be in it i came right up on that

superkain

Grassman;70841 wrote: superkain

Can we see that video i may be in it i came right up on that
PM sent with link

junktionfet

Is B #73 on the forum? He had a white helmet, red leathers, and a black tribal CBR. I got some really good footage following him in on of my videos. I liked his pace and we ended up sticking together for a good while.