what type of generator to use

dt4629

Hi,

I'm a noob, 1st track day ever on 6/16 Roebling Rd. I would like to bring a generator for fan. I'm not good enough to start using tire warmers yet. What do you recommend? There are so many types. I afraid of getting one that's loud and annoying to others. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search, and most of the threads were generators for sale.

JBZ1k

Honda Super Quiet! I saved for awhile to get one and it's worth every penny. I was won over after we got one at work and after 5years and 2,600 hrs it starts every time and the only thing you need to worry about is gas. You can find used ones on the forum and c-list.

dt4629

JBZ1k;243554 wrote: Honda Super Quiet! I saved for awhile to get one and it's worth every penny. I was won over after we got one at work and after 5years and 2,600 hrs it starts every time and the only thing you need to worry about is gas. You can find used ones on the forum and c-list.
Thank you. I was leaning towards the Honda too. Which model do you have? I was looking at the Honda EU2000i.

JBZ1k

The 2000 would be a perfect size from what I hear. I was able to pick up a 6500is cheap so that's what I have but unless you need to run the a/c, stereo, coffee pot, fridge, and tire warmers at the same time... I think the 2k will get it done.

nodakgus

dt4629;243564 wrote: Thank you. I was leaning towards the Honda too. Which model do you have? I was looking at the Honda EU2000i.
I bought this exact unit and have no regrets. Perfect for running warmers and a fan.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
nodakgus;243571 wrote: I bought this exact unit and have no regrets. Perfect for running warmers and a fan.
Agreed. I have the Yamaha version of the 2000w - EF2000i, it's equally quiet compared to the Honda. Honda or Yamaha inverted generators are the way to go. My 2000w runs a set of warmers and a fan. When you get to that point, warmers usually draw around 1000w. There are cheaper generators, if you search you'll find all the heated debates, I won't go into it again here.

hank

There are many threads on this subject and the choice of either the Honda or Yamaha is the way to go!

ericlouie1

Thats a big investment for a fan, at least bring some neon lights or other cool stuff to run off of it.
Look at electricgeneratorsdirect.com for reviews on genny's, but you definitly can't go wrong with a yamaha or a honda. Seems like the generac/honeywell (same genny, just re-labeled) has some intermittent QC issues, dirty power, surging, etc... that would make me shy away from them.

dt4629;243545 wrote: Hi,

I'm a noob, 1st track day ever on 6/16 Roebling Rd. I would like to bring a generator for fan. I'm not good enough to start using tire warmers yet. What do you recommend? There are so many types. I afraid of getting one that's loud and annoying to others. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search, and most of the threads were generators for sale.

First make it a quiet one or plan to pit well away from others. If you buy a non-quiet don't even think about "well I'll just run my generator a little bit and the guys around will be cool about it." They won't.

Secondly buy enough output so you can eventually run other items. I'd say 2K watts at least.

As for recommendations Yamaha's or Honda's quiet line will do. One's really no better than the other. It comes down to the Chevy vs Ford arguments.

Lastly buy the correct extension cord. I see this overlooked in the paddock again and again. You can't safely pull 1000 watts through a 14 gauge 100' wire. You should be OK with the fan but should you use warmers or any heavy load get the correct cord. Here's a quick guide:

Most warmer are rated around 1000 watts +/-. That equates to about an 8.3 amp draw. Since people regular run fans, radios etc bump the current load to 10 amps. So:

14 gauge wire = 45 feet max length
12 gauge wire = 70 feet
10 gauge wire = 115

When I pit next to someone plugged in and running warmers on a 75 or 100 foot cord I move items away from his generator and cord and prefer that he/she not run their cord under my truck.

Hope this helps.

Good hunting.

Reg

ScottGeorge

I bought a Honda EU6500 about 4 years ago and love the damn thing. I have 350 trouble free hours out of it with %90 of it at the track. Do your oil changes like your suppose to and drain the gas when you store it and it should last forever. The Yamaha's are just as good. Like was said already I would buy one a step larger than you need in case you need to run other things. And like was stated above use good cords.

bcrunk11

Unless the noise police on here are buying you one, get whatever YOU want. Of course I wanted a Honda/Yamaha, but my funds said otherwise. I bought a Champion 3500 Watt from Lowe's with a 3yr warantee for around $400 total. Also, it's actually pretty quiet...If anyone whines about the decibel output, then have em move their generator close enough for you to use.

Meat

It's all about courtesy. If you can't afford a quiet generator, like the Honda or Yamaha, then be courteous and keep it away from others that did put out the money to have a quiet pit area. And you should ALWAYS hear your generator more than your neighbor does. Again, courtesy.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Meat;243953 wrote: It's all about courtesy. If you can't afford a quiet generator, like the Honda or Yamaha, then be courteous and keep it away from others that did put out the money to have a quiet pit area. And you should ALWAYS hear your generator more than your neighbor does. Again, courtesy.
:agree: nothing will wear you down faster and ruin a pleasant day quicker than having a noisy genny running nearby, all day. Like Meat said, it's about consideration. I understand that not everyone can shell out the money for a Yam/Hon. No problem, just pit far away. And we did offer to pay for some guy's electric once at Summit so he'd shut the damned thing down. His neighbor had electric and shared it, thankfully. Couldn't talk to each other in our pit, had a headache. I'd offer mine to share, but it won't run two sets of warmers.

Ruhe52

Meat that is a nice way to put it. Yep if you would not have it 10 feet away from you no one wants it 5 feet away from them. If it is loud IE sounds like a busted lawn mower. To the trees you go with it. Again get a sufficient cord for the length of run. and pit on the edge of the paddock. This will keep the peace and not cause people to miss their group calls.

I keep a pound of sugar in my gear for noisy generators:D

bcrunk11;243885 wrote: Unless the noise police on here are buying you one, get whatever YOU want. ...If anyone whines about the decibel output, then have em move their generator close enough for you to use.
There are those that consider others and then there are those that can't see past their own wants. So disappointing. Too bad there's no minimum maturity level for NESBA participation.

Remember NESBA is a social thing. Yes, buy what you want and can afford but use it accordingly.

The Golden Rule? Remember that one?

Again. Good hunting and welcome.

j_fuggin_t

i think its hillarious how ppl want to shun someone for buying a "noisy generator" there are loud generators in every paddock, its a way of life, not everyone can afford the $800+ generators and that's certainly understandable. Are they annoying? yes, but most ppl aren't going to do a damn thing if someone with a loud generator is pitted nearby. My recommendation of the honda or yamaha isn't due to noise alone, its due to quality, they will simply last longer & its a better investment. Folks need to get off their high horse and be a little understanding.