White plates

rk97

I dont know how to say this without it sounding like I'm detracting from the accomplishment of getting an expert "bump.". That is NOT my intention at all.

Depending on the region and the class, it can be easier than you would think to rack up points due to light grids, and consistent entires. WERA bumps you up after you accumulate a certain number of points in a season.

I could race an EX250 and be 1 of 3 (or 1 of 1) bikes out there. That gets me a lot more points than finishing 9th in C suberbike, where it's a 16 bike grid. That's one of the reasons you can petition to stay a novice if you want to.

some guy #2

I agree on the light grids does not make an expert, however, showing up is just as important and finishing. I remember getting an invite to the GNF for running 2 WERA rounds trying to get rid of my PN status.

gkotlin

I finished 3rd in the CCS Great Plains Region last year. I didn't ride in the Great Plains once. I did 2 events in the Midwest that were combined region events with Great Plains. I took a win and a second. That gave me enough points to take 3rd in the region. How's that for small grids in the Great Plains. Everything is relative.

rk97

The smaller grids has just skewed everything. My best finish of the year was a 4th in B Superstock. It was my third race ever. 4th sounds pretty badass, except there were only 6 riders that started. There were more of us on the grid, because we were combined with experts (I may have even beaten some of them), but it's kind of a hollow victory to get 4th place points when you only beat 2 people.

I'm much more proud of my 5th in the solo 20. I actually lapped a few riders, and avoided BEING lapped by anyone. In a 20 lap race, that was my primary goal... Plus I actually finished ahead of 12 people; not just two.

dbakerpa

I agree. I was entered and place well in 5 races. I ended up 3rd natiaonally and 3rd in 3 divisions MA ans SE. I was beat by guys who got alot of fourth places in alot of races. I really dont feel the experience to race in expert but I know I can do it without a problem. I question some of the fast kids wiht less seat time though.

Nexus

j_fuggin_t;225350 wrote: i will be a yellow guy..
Nice. I thought you had a long post with reasons you choose not to race. Looks like Moo over has some yellow plate ringers. Lol.

j_fuggin_t

Nexus;225380 wrote: Nice. I thought you had a long post with reasons you choose not to race. Looks like Moo over has some yellow plate ringers. Lol.
only one reason... Insurance.. its been taken care of ;) & ringer?? who you calling a ringer, i've only ridden on the track for 2 complete seasons.. i'm still fresh to this compared to some guys with 10+ years in it ;)

Nexus

j_fuggin_t;225381 wrote: only one reason... Insurance.. its been taken care of ;) & ringer?? who you calling a ringer, i've only ridden on the track for 2 complete seasons.. i'm still fresh to this compared to some guys with 10+ years in it ;)
That's awesome. I wouldn't ride either without insurance. As for 10 years... Bah. More like 15+. Lol. In two seasons you have more track miles than my whole track and street miles! Lol.

I want a transparent plate. :)

j_fuggin_t

Nexus;225382 wrote: That's awesome. I wouldn't ride either without insurance. As for 10 years... Bah. More like 15+. Lol. In two seasons you have more track miles than my whole track and street miles! Lol.

I want a transparent plate. :)
street miles i've got WELL over 100k easy, track was a whole new learning experience :D

rk97

Racing is an entirely different experience too. It kicks ass.

I suck at race starts, but they're incredibly fun. Many novices seem to brake way early for T1 on the start. My only guess is that they're "programmed" to think, "CRAP!!! I SHOULD BE BRAKING BY NOW!!," but they're slowing from 3rd gear, instead of 5th, so you can go a lot deeper.

j_fuggin_t

rk97;225412 wrote: Racing is an entirely different experience too. It kicks ass.

I suck at race starts, but they're incredibly fun. Many novices seem to brake way early for T1 on the start. My only guess is that they're "programmed" to think, "CRAP!!! I SHOULD BE BRAKING BY NOW!!," but they're slowing from 3rd gear, instead of 5th, so you can go a lot deeper.
it will be fun thats for sure, i'm actually quite good at drag racing them but i know thats only half of it

Relic

I look forward to my first full race season next year. I moved up from PN to Novice this year after two races (one race weekend) and a race school. My first race at Barber, wearing a green Ed Bargy t-shirt and all, was the most awesome experience. My second race I actually passed guys and got my best lap time ever at Barber. I'm superpumped for 2012!

fossilfuel

if you are given an opportunity to be in expert take it. You will be a better rider for it. It never occured to me to say keep me in Novice and I'm glad I didn't. My goal was an Expert license.