who all paints their own bike?

jimgl3

Jul 11, 2008
who all paints their own bike and really enjoys it? i like that i can change the look a little each year and that it doesn't bleed greenbacks when i crash it!
picture.php

pearsonm

Jul 14, 2008
I want to but don’t have the proper equipment. I may do the rattle-can thing - it can't be any worse than what's on it.

Dave561

Control Rider
Apr 25, 2014
Emerson has a full professional shop and does outstanding work.

jimgl3

Jul 11, 2008
you can make rattle can look pretty darn good if you use auto color and follow the directions and be v e r y patient!!!
picture.php

Bubba Zanetti

Jul 14, 2008
I do too.

It's not as hard as you think and can be done pretty easy. PM me and we can chat in further detail if you wish. I did the TZ125 and need to post a picture.

My friend, known as JonnyZ on the board does his own bike(s) too, and paints for others.

BZ

tittys04

Sep 2, 2009
I've always done my own. I've done rattle can and auto-grade. Auto grade looks a bit better and is definitely more durable, but a little more work involved. I also developed an allergy to the stuff, so I quit doing that and just do rattle cans now. It's not as durable, but can look ALMOST as good as auto grade with a clear over it. It's also easier and more convenient to fix when you go down.

Also, like you said, I like changing things up every year. Been black, red, white, and now she's going flourescent green and yellow.

jimgl3

Jul 11, 2008
i have entertained the thought of painting for others who want their bike painted a certain way, but can't afford pro job and just can't do it themselves for whatever reason. a little extra income for trackdays wouldn't hurt either!

Gorecki

May 27, 2010
I will do mine but haven't yet. I won't until I've evolved my riding enough to feel I deserve a pretty paint job. And will likely not get fancy right away.

tittys04

Sep 2, 2009
JohnS;193644 wrote: I did, bought my paint from color rite http://www.colorrite.com/
That's pretty sweet. You can get rattle cans in OEM paint colors. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to use it because I'm probably allergic to that stuff too, but definitely cool.

And to add to my previous post... I'm allergic to one thing, ONE thing. and it has to be bike related :banghead:

JohnS

Jul 11, 2008
tittys04;193648 wrote: That's pretty sweet. You can get rattle cans in OEM paint colors. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to use it because I'm probably allergic to that stuff too, but definitely cool.

And to add to my previous post... I'm allergic to one thing, ONE thing. and it has to be bike related :banghead:
It is good stuff, I used the rattle cans, think I bought 5 cans of color and got the clear else where. It is automotive urethane paint except premixed and put in a can.

beac83

Jul 12, 2008
I did mine this spring, but didn't enjoy the process. Was rushed, and the painting conditions were less than ideal. However, I did manage NOT to paint everything in the garage, and the paint stayed on for the first two track days at Road Am. So I guess it's not a total failure.

Next time I'll pay someone to do it.

borislav

Control Rider
Sep 6, 2008
I do mine and use automotive paint from Du Pont,but I also do it because I have acces to paint booth and equipment.Make no mistake I'm not pro but take your time,read instructiones and you'll be fine!
Bike in my avatar is on of them.

Relic

Oct 20, 2008
Mine's a 100% rattle can paint job. Others are right...you have to be very patient and follow a procedure. There's some good information out there. I more or less followed these steps and it worked out great.

jimgl3

Jul 11, 2008
JohnS;193644 wrote: I did, bought my paint from color rite http://www.colorrite.com/
wow! i did some google-ing and dont recall that site! have to try it in the future! cool!

oops! cost about 3 times what the automotive stuff does. guess ford engine blue will have to do for me ;)

Gorecki

May 27, 2010
tittys04;193648 wrote: I'm allergic to one thing, ONE thing. and it has to be bike related :banghead:
Well, if it makes you feel any better I discovered a couple of years ago I was allergic to alcohol! Came out of nowhere, my head blows up like the thing! I'll never get to have a beer with the boys ever again! :nada: