Why Tape Headlights and Tail Lights?

greeny

headlight assemblies are usually a pretty pricey piece to replace on any sportbike. my suggestion is to remove the whole thing... then you don't have to worry about taping them up, either ;)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
The lens may be plastic (and it's not unbreakable, btw, polycarbonate or not), however, the bulbs underneath it are glass...

Unplugging the lights prevents the tape from melting onto the hot lens.

And yeah, brake lights are a distraction.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
HondaGalToo;126584 wrote: The lens may be plastic (and it's not unbreakable, btw, polycarbonate or not), however, the bulbs underneath it are glass...

And yeah, brake lights are a distraction.
:agree:

jfeagin

needknees;126555 wrote: An alternative to pulling fuses is to unplug the lights themselves. I'm in a similar situation where the headlight fuse is tied to the main fuse and just unplug my headlight bulbs. The connector tucks up nicely in the bottom of the headlight housing. It is a pain to have to unplug everything before going to the track but that's what you've got to do if you want to have a streetable trackbike ;) ...or a trackable streetbike for that matter!
Yep, I pull the plugs on the Triumph. They're actually the easiest plugs to get to I've ever had. Still, keeping the painter's tape people in business is doing your part for the economy! :D

Relic

HondaGalToo;126584 wrote:
I don't unplug the lights and my tape (regular painter's tape) has yet to melt or catch fire. Again, if you are worried about a little bit of glass from the bulb shattering :)notsure:), then shouldn't you be more worried about safety wiring and water wetter as the coolant?

Relic

Here's another point to ponder::idea: In any of the riding schools that have been mentioned or discussed in this forum (Kevin Schwantz School, California SS, Yamaha Champions School, etc.) do they tape the head or tail lights (even if you bring your own bike)? They may unplug the lights, subscribing to the distraction theory, a theory that makes more sense in a controlled class environment, but no tape. :)

j_fuggin_t

greeny;126565 wrote: headlight assemblies are usually a pretty pricey piece to replace on any sportbike. my suggestion is to remove the whole thing... then you don't have to worry about taping them up, either ;)
:agree: i used to tape & unplug my lights, PAIN IN THE ASS!! now i just don't ride on the street, my bike won't run if you pull the headlight fuse so thats out & i'm sure that taping has to do with ease of clean up & less distractions, & if you can't ignore a simple brake light umm.. you may be in the wrong sport, just sayin'....