Yet another exhaust question

01wj

So I decided to order an m4 y-pipe to get rid of my muffler box on my R6. I spoke w/ Andrew Swenson and he told me that the catalytic converters while they may fit usually get too hot and may ruin the bodywork.

Now it has come to my attention that there are 2 more "pre cats" on the R6 before the main one in the muffler box. Should I worry about removing those also? I'm not so concerned about the potential power gains of probably .5 hp, I just don't want those things getting hot and ruining a $1k+ set of bodywork.

I know I'm cheaping out here I really did want a Graves full system, but I swore I would never buy another titanium system again and plus after buying a new bike, bodywork, pcv, autotune, etc. I really didn't want to blow another $1500 on an exhaust, especially since I'm not sure the power gains / weight savings can really justify that kind of price.

Thanks for your thoughts

01wj

(Let me rephrase that, I could go buy a full system but then you would probably never see me at the track this year, and especially with all those Road America days what fun would that be)

Exhaust system vs. Road America days... hmmm, lol

The pre-cat stuff in the header before the cat box is like a honeycomb material. You can chisle it out with a long chisle/screw driver and a hammer or a power chisle. Not real hard, but a PITA and a bit time consuming.

I've been searching for a full system for the R6 that I just bought, and found a few nice ones for ~$800 if that helps you at all.

speedfree

I took an old chisel and ground a radius on one side of it that roughly matched the inside of the pipe. After punching most of the honeycomb out with a big ass masonry bit, I was able to chisel the remainder out by peeling it down the sides with my specially ground chisel. Took me about fifteen- twenty minutes per pipe.
Clamp it lightly in a vise first:)

-from my pimped-out Droid.

01wj

ok thanks I guess it looks like i'll just have to not be lazy and gut the honeycombs out of there. Looks like a project that may require a 6 pack along with it also lol