Your opinion on Pirelli Diablo superbike pro

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I just read an article posted by Shagmoto about the Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro tires with the red stripe. What do you the N2 community think about the article or if you have experience with this specific tire I would love to know what you think. Any tire that can last for around 1400 miles on the track and still gives good grip sounds pretty awesome to me.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I loved them and ran some of my fastest times on them. Even when my rear stepped out on me mid corner, which stood me up and made me run of track and crash on the grass, I still thought they were good.

I just decided to stick with the really good rubber at this point. They are great even without warmers. Just give them a couple of laps to warm up and game on!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I tried one this year on my R6 and loved it. I've been rolling on Pirelli's for 2 years now and love them, primarily running the SC2 front/rear for track days and going SC2 front / SC1 rear (sometimes both SC1) for WERA. I decided to try out the superbike pro after talking to Collin. Anyone that rides on the Pirelli's know the SC2 fronts last forever, so I decided to try sticking with my SC2 front and the superbike pro rear in the 200 (They only make the 180/55 and the 200 rear). Since my R6 is set up for the Pirelli 180/60's, I decided to go with the 200 rear.

There's no doubt the 180/60 SC2 offers more grip over the Superbike Pro 200, but for track day / CR duty, the Superbike Pro is awesome. I was turning 19's with the Superbike Pro rear at Summit Main without much of a problem. When you approach the grip limit, they taper off very nice and consistently. Very predicable with no surprises. Don't get me wrong, when I'm turning 19's with the Superbike Pro on the rear, you can feel the rear squirming while the SC2 feels 100% planted. But the great thing about them is that they don't get greasy running at a consistent fast pace like a Q3 would. I can run the Superbike Pro lap after lap at a consistent pace, and it will consistently hit its grip limit at the same time, every time with no loss in grip.

I must have 5 or 6 days on my Superbike Pro and it still looks brand new. I've flipped it a couple times, and it hardly looks worn. Unless you are out racing and trying to squeeze every 1/4 second out of your lap times, I would totally recommend the Superbike Pro's. I can't speak for the front tires - I've never ran the Superbike Pro front because the SC2's last so long and the grip is so good already, I haven't seen the point. I agree with the article, I don't think the tire is physically going to wear out, I think once it gets near the end of its life, the grip will just start tapering off.

I think the Superbike Pro's are an awesome tire that would be perfect for any track day junkie.

HavocCat

Chris
I switched to the Superbike Pro rear for the last day of the year, only got 3 sessions on it, however, I'll never go back.

Wear and grip were both really awesome, and a huge step up from what I had before.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I got a couple people asking me about SC1 / SC2, etc, so I will explain what I know. Since we are all track day junkies, I'm just gonna stick with the race-oriented Super Corsa's and not get into the street-intended tires that Pirelli also sells.

You have Pirelli SP's and SC's. The SP's look like the Super Corsa's, but the rubber compound is geared more towards street duty than track duty. That's all I'll get into about the SP's, because like I said, we're all track day junkies here, right?

They make SC's in two versions: DOT (street legal) and slicks (not street legal). From what I know, they are exactly the same, except one is a slick and one is a DOT tire. I have many miles racing on both the DOT's and the slicks - and assuming the conditions are the same, the slicks did not offer any more grip over the DOT. Then again, I am but a mere mortal rider (my phone is not blowing up from the factories asking me to go race for them), so take it for what it's worth. I only raced on DOT's because of WERA. You could not race with slicks in the 600 super stock class until this coming year. Anyways...they offer several different compounds. To make things more confusing, they also associate colors with the compounds. The break down:

SC 0 - White (super soft)
SC 1 - Blue (soft)
SC 2 - Green (medium)

In my humble opinion, the SC 0 is a total waste for track days. They are super soft and will wear out extremely quickly. Think of it as a qualifying tire...trying to get the best possible lap time for grid position. Some guys I know that race with them only get 2-4 sprints (6-8 laps each) out of them and they are smoked. The SC 1 is kind of a gray area. To be honest, I think it's over kill for a track day tire. The extra grip the SC 1 provides does not outweigh the accelerated wear over the SC 2. Again, this is my .02 cents and is no way "factual". SC 2's are the bomb. I got the most amount of miles with these. More than enough traction to race on, yet provides good longevity. Fantastic tires. Can't say enough good about them. Lastly, I'll quickly glance over working temperatures. The SC 0 and SC 1 need a hot environment to work well, and they will cold tear like crazy if you were riding at Summit in March. They have a smaller window of operating temperature versus the SC2. You can check the website/ ask Collin for more specific info, but basically, if it's not 70-80 degrees or hotter outside, it's too cold for the SC 1, and definitely for the SC 0. Riding on a SC 1 or 0 in the morning sessions at NJMP in March/April, and you'll destroy those tires in no time. SC2's have a huge window where they work well. They will work just as well in the hotter temps the SC 0 or 1 operate at, but at those temps, the 1 or 0 will still offer better grip.

OK...back onto the original topic at hand, the superbike pro...

The Superbike pro would be considered a hard compound. Like anything else, a tire is a balance between grip and tire life. You can't have the best of both. The question comes up all the time (not just with Pirelli, but all tires) - when do I need to upgrade tires? There are two main sides to this topic. To me, this is like asking which came first, the chicken or the egg. Here's why:

You don't really *need* super sticky tires for a track day. It's very common for guys to do a few track days, then go straight from their former street tire to a race tire. What I've typically seen/heard is "Well I feel the back end breaking loose, I need more grip..." "Race tires would give me confidence to push the bike more..."

Side #1: Well I feel the bike moving around on me, if I had better tires, it wouldn't move around on me and I'd be more confident to go faster. If nothing else, even if my bike wasn't moving around, I feel better knowing I have stickier tires on my bike.

That's a good argument and I can't really refute that. Nobody else is paying for your bike repairs if you crash, so if you want to roll on tires that offer the maximum grip out there, then hell yeah, do it!

Side #2: Riding on super sticky tires while you have yet to [mostly, within reason] master the art of riding will simply mask your riding mistakes, and you'll still end up crashing from those mistakes - just later in the game and at higher speeds. I have seen /worked with several riders in Novice and Intermediate that were 100% convinced they "needed" slicks, because the bike is all over the place. The bike is all over the place because they are abrupt on the controls, they stab the brakes/throttle. They add lean angle while adding throttle...all of these huge no-no's. Simply put, they are asking too much out of their tires. Because they are riding on tires that don't offer as much grip as a race tire, they hit that 'ceiling' faster. Will a race tire fix their problem? In the mean time, yes. Will they crash if they continue to make the same mistakes and increase the pace? Absolutely.

Typed a novel to end with this TL;DR: The Superbike Pro slicks will offer all the grip you'll need to be "that fast guy in Advanced" at any track day with the side benefit of extended tire life.

I enjoyed reading your novel. I'm not looking to be that fast guy but I will say I will be much more aware that better tires will mask my mistakes and work harder to fix them before they fix me. It's like I say to my street riding buddies that are constantly trying to "improve" their bikes. "If you want to find your bikes weakest link look in its mirror." Guess that won't apply to the track;)

mpusch

Micah
I posted in Shag's section, missing this thread.

Currently running mid-I pace on Pilot Power 3s. Haven't really ran into many grip issues yet at my place and they last about 6 days. Any benefit to trying out the Red Stripes (heard conflicting things about grip, assuming it's a slight increase from PP3s). I guess I'm answering my own question before asking, probably worth sticking with what I've got until I start running into more issues?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
You say running into 'more' issues. What are the issues you're having now? What's your goal(s) for track riding? What do you want to accomplish for 2016? I am a huge Pirelli fan, but if you are happy with the grip and life of your current tire, I'd keep rocking them. The counter argument to that is 'you don't know what you don't know', so you may absolutely love the feel and feedback of Pirelli's, but you won't know till you try.

The reason I ask about your goals is that everyone's situation is different. If your bike is double duty for track and street, the extra grip the red stripe's provide might not be worth the extra expense of tire changes (or a separate set of wheels if you had a street set/track set)

You say running into 'more' issues. What are the issues you're having now? What's your goal(s) for track riding? What do you want to accomplish for 2016? I am a huge Pirelli fan, but if you are happy with the grip and life of your current tire, I'd keep rocking them. The counter argument to that is 'you don't know what you don't know', so you may absolutely love the feel and feedback of Pirelli's, but you won't know till you try.

The reason I ask about your goals is that everyone's situation is different. If your bike is double duty for track and street, the extra grip the red stripe's provide might not be worth the extra expense of tire changes (or a separate set of wheels if you had a street set/track set)
Personally I don't feel like I have any "issues". I think what I meant was in the future I will be more aware of my actions so I don't develop issues or bad habits. Every track day I've been to I have left extremely happy and throughly satisfied that I have learned so much. I'm currently building a track only bike so tire swapping won't be an issue. As for my goals I don't have a specific list except for ride lap to the best of my ability, have fun and listen to those who know and are trying to help me. Not necessarily in that order.

mpusch

Micah

It's the "what I don't know, I don't know" that has me wondering here. Only ever ran PP3s (other than the set of PP2CT on the bike when I bought it) on my Daytona. When I refer to having more issues, I'm not really having any right now. I can count on my right hand the number of times I've had a tire slip out (other than the rear on braking). I think that is a testament to me being soft on throttle more than anything else though. Like you said, if I'm not having grip issues and longevity is good, then why change until I'm more consistently reaching the limit of grip on them?

I think the curiosity is coming from your counter-argument. I'm curious to try something different, if for no other reason than to build my experience of how different tires feel.

As far as my goals: I'm out there to have fun yes, but frankly I'm really looking to build my skills and become (more) proficient. Potentially dabble with club racing in the next year or two. Bike does currently serve double duty, but the street is becoming less and less frequent.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Personally I don't feel like I have any "issues". I think what I meant was in the future I will be more aware of my actions so I don't develop issues or bad habits. Every track day I've been to I have left extremely happy and throughly satisfied that I have learned so much. I'm currently building a track only bike so tire swapping won't be an issue. As for my goals I don't have a specific list except for ride lap to the best of my ability, have fun and listen to those who know and are trying to help me. Not necessarily in that order.

Oops...my bad. I meant to quote mpusch's response!

But your response brings up another thought I think is important to riders. As a control rider, we want to know your goals when we are working with you at a track day. People do track days for a multitude of reasons - a break from street riding, maybe as a intermittent step to racing, to have fun with friends, or really work on riding skills that will make them more proficient street riders.

The most common phrase I get from riders after a session is "So what did you think?" That is such a loaded and open ended question...what did I think about what? Your overall pace? Your line selection? Your body position? What are you trying to work on?

I would strongly encourage riders to get with a CR prior to the session - Come stop by our pit in the paddock, or get our attention while we are waiting on the session to start. Tell us what you're working on - figuring out the lines of the track, body position, where am I gaining time on my laptimes, etc etc. If we are already working with some people, we'll find another CR for you, or get with you the next session out.

Last edited:

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
It's the "what I don't know, I don't know" that has me wondering here. Only ever ran PP3s (other than the set of PP2CT on the bike when I bought it) on my Daytona. When I refer to having more issues, I'm not really having any right now. I can count on my right hand the number of times I've had a tire slip out (other than the rear on braking). I think that is a testament to me being soft on throttle more than anything else though. Like you said, if I'm not having grip issues and longevity is good, then why change until I'm more consistently reaching the limit of grip on them?

I think the curiosity is coming from your counter-argument. I'm curious to try something different, if for no other reason than to build my experience of how different tires feel.

As far as my goals: I'm out there to have fun yes, but frankly I'm really looking to build my skills and become (more) proficient. Potentially dabble with club racing in the next year or two. Bike does currently serve double duty, but the street is becoming less and less frequent.

Not having the bike step out on you frequently is a good sign! If you want to get into racing, there is no 'good' time to start. I don't think anyone ever feels 100% ready to race on their first race weekend. You just gotta jump in and do it. I would definitely recommend bumping up from PP3's if you were going to start racing. Q3's and other similar hyper-sport street tires can provide awesome grip that can put down some quick lap times. However, they'll still get 'greasy' when ridden hard for an extended period of time. That's where the compound difference of a race tire helps tremendously, as they are made to work at that higher consistent temperature. If you plan to grid up eventually, maybe switching to a more race oriented tire now will give you plenty of track time to get a feel for the characteristics of the new tires.

mpusch

Micah
Not having the bike step out on you frequently is a good sign! If you want to get into racing, there is no 'good' time to start. I don't think anyone ever feels 100% ready to race on their first race weekend. You just gotta jump in and do it. I would definitely recommend bumping up from PP3's if you were going to start racing. Q3's and other similar hyper-sport street tires can provide awesome grip that can put down some quick lap times. However, they'll still get 'greasy' when ridden hard for an extended period of time. That's where the compound difference of a race tire helps tremendously, as they are made to work at that higher consistent temperature. If you plan to grid up eventually, maybe switching to a more race oriented tire now will give you plenty of track time to get a feel for the characteristics of the new tires.

Thanks for the input here, John. I've heard before that racing is something you just need to dive in and try (much like track days I suppose). I guess I'm still sorting out in my head what type of track activity fits what I want to do.

I'm thinking I might buy a set of these to try out this year. If I don't pull the trigger on having a second set of rims, I can do my own tire changes back to street tires anyway.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have been a Pirelli fan for some time. I am currently running the best tire that I can buy from Pirelli. Do it need it? Maybe not. One of the reasons for that decision is that I don't want the tire to be in question, as it relates to grip level. I want to remove that variable from my list of concerns while out on track.

With that being said, I tried the Pro's a few years ago, because I wanted the good grip, but I wanted the longevity as well. The advertising was there to support it, so I tried a set. I had no complaints about them whatsoever, until the last day I used them. Note, that I was on the 6th day on the rear tire. 3 days is typically the max I will get out of my Superbike Slicks.

Also, about 3-4 years ago, Michelin came out with a new tire called the R10. I was plenty fast, liked what I was riding on, but thought "What the Hell?" why not try the tire. It gripped great, lasted about the same, but it had a much harder carcass that I didn't like. So I went back to what I knew worked.

You will never know what a tire will feel like or wear like until you try them. Even the fast guys have to try something new now and again to make sure they have the best equipment underneath them.

mpusch

Micah
I have been a Pirelli fan for some time. I am currently running the best tire that I can buy from Pirelli. Do it need it? Maybe not. One of the reasons for that decision is that I don't want the tire to be in question, as it relates to grip level. I want to remove that variable from my list of concerns while out on track.

With that being said, I tried the Pro's a few years ago, because I wanted the good grip, but I wanted the longevity as well. The advertising was there to support it, so I tried a set. I had no complaints about them whatsoever, until the last day I used them. Note, that I was on the 6th day on the rear tire. 3 days is typically the max I will get out of my Superbike Slicks.

Also, about 3-4 years ago, Michelin came out with a new tire called the R10. I was plenty fast, liked what I was riding on, but thought "What the Hell?" why not try the tire. It gripped great, lasted about the same, but it had a much harder carcass that I didn't like. So I went back to what I knew worked.

You will never know what a tire will feel like or wear like until you try them. Even the fast guys have to try something new now and again to make sure they have the best equipment underneath them.

Good info. I've heard pretty much universally that these tires last long, but when they "go" they really GO.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Good info. I've heard pretty much universally that these tires last long, but when they "go" they really GO.
In my experience, they did not "GO". I was in the middle of turn 10 at Summit Main and the back tire stepped out slightly right at the apex. It wasn't much, but I had to stand the bike up and run off through the gravel trap. If it would have happened another 20 feet further in the corner, I probably would have just run wide and stayed on track. We were running some fast laps that session and there were several guys in front and behind me. I think I was able to get into the 18's that day on those tires. Even at a good Advanced pace in the low 20's, I don't think I would have had any issue.

Even though I crashed, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend those tires to anyone. If I had one bike to run in Advanced and another to CR on, I would have Pro's on the CR bike, without question.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I will say that the SC2 front and superbike pro on the rear makes an awesome CR tire combo. But like I said before, there's no doubt the more grip available from the SC2/SC1. I think what makes the superbike pro an awesome tire is that Pirelli found that perfect balance between traction and tire life for an overwhelming majority of the track riders out there.

borislav

Control Rider
I have never tried Superbike Pro tires...
I have been Dunlop rider for many years and past season I tried Pirelli slicks for first time and all I can say I was impressed with SC1/SC2 combo on my R6.
I haven't ridden much at all last year but grip, tire feedback and experience was soooo positive and confidence inspiring even for my slow ass,it's needless to say I won't go back.
Reason why I'm sharing this is if you want to stay on hyper sport tires you can but you will get to that point when your pace will be too much for them, and they will get greasy in an instant like John already said! I experience that at VIR long time ago following CR in I group while working on my corner speed and acceleration out of corner and almost managed to send myself out of the earth's orbit.I was lucky enough not to crash but from that point I started using DOT and slick tires.
I'm sharing all this with you because there is no need for you to look for melting point of hyper sport tire because you may not be lucky like I was.
In this sport confidence is VERY important and if you can eliminate everything that stands between you and that important ingredient you will accelerate your learning curve substantially.
So if funds allow get yourself the best tires you can afford and focus on learning/developing your skills.

New question, same tire. How well do you think these tires will hold up without a warmer? Similar question. I have a set of Q2s that have 3 track days on them. Total of 350-375 track miles. One day on Lightning at NJMP and 2 days at Barber this past Thanksgiving. They have enough tread to pass tech but do you think they can handle another couple of sessions. I have a friend that wants to do a Intro session and I'm totally willing to let them do it on my bike if the tires are still safe. The tires have gone through about 21 heat cycles over the 3 track days because I don't have tire warmers.