A buisness to cater to the trackday rider

avizpls

#11-A
A co-worker of mine knows a lot about my trackdays. He is not a rider himself. He presented me with this idea. He thinks that there is a niche here to be filled by someone who could offer "mentoring" advice, mechanical instruction....I'll reserve my opinion. We wanted to see what you, the riders, think about it. Here is a short little "ad promo" he wrote to describe what his imaginary company would offer.

Are you in love with the sport of cycle racing? Does the thought of the next track day start as you’re finishing your last lap? Is your idea of excellence being able to assemble your bike from the ground up, tune and adjust it for optimal performance for the track you’re at that day and then riding it knowing that at the end of your track day you’ve used every bit of performance your bike could offer?

If the above describes you and you would like to accelerate your pursuit of Moto Sport excellence, then give us a call. Whether you want to enhance your riding skills, your pit/mechanic skills, or your ability to optimize your bike’s performance, or you want to develop that insight that relates each one of these skills to the other, we can help.

We’ll coach you through all of your Moto needs with the heart of a teacher, the skills of an expert and the patience of a control rider. Here’s what we have to offer:

EACH of our Moto Acceleration coaches have

-xxx’s of hours and yyy’s of miles of advance rider track experience
-zzz’s of hours of top-to-bottom cycle tear down and rebuild experience complete with custom mods and non-OEM parts use
-xyz’s of tips, tricks, nuances and levels of finesse needed to optimize your cycle for any riding condition

So, if you goal is to be the next Valentio Rossi, manage the Kawasaki pit crew, tune the Yamaha FFE 350 or just get the most out of your next track day, we can help. And best of all, you’ll get our personal hands-on coaching and have access to our multifaceted experience without breaking the bank!

What do you think? I know there are prohibitively priced paid services that go above and beyond this (markbuilt comes to mind), and I explained that a lot of this sort of think is offered up by EVERYONE in the pit as a NESBA family favor....does his idea have a place with the trackday rider and/or aspiring racer?

avizpls

#11-A
noobinacan;169661 wrote: so you want to start a tutoring service :)
I'll tutor someone...but I don't have the time. I'd rather be riding :p
No I don't want to tutor anyone. This isnt my idea. Im B. I've still got to much learning to do to have any business teaching.

The assumption is made that the "coaches" on staff would be experienced A group fellows with or without racing experience.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
So he wants to sell coaching at an event that offers free coaching by someone who doesn't ride. Sounds like a good way to waste my time

avizpls

#11-A
slow_honda;169669 wrote: So he wants to sell coaching at an event that offers free coaching by someone who doesn't ride. Sounds like a good way to waste my time
No HE wouldnt be the coach either. This is all very hypothetical. Just assume that his as-of-yet-fictional coaches are worthy :)

This is on and off track. He thinks that there is a subset of us riders who could use some help in learning how to understand what the bike is telling you on the track and then how to properly adjust or change the setup on the bike and then realize the resultant difference. He sees me as a one man racing team: I ride (duh rider), I get a feeling for the bike and organize the events (team mgr), and I do all of my own mechanics work (mech team). So he figures there must be some that can ride, but could use some help in one of the other areas of maintaining a race bike and taking the setup to the next level. There has been some talk of full data acquisition systems as well….

I’m generally thinking this is not a good business idea. Most of these things, a NESBA rider will get for free by asking anyone in the paddock.

I should have HIM come on here to pitch it.

avizpls

#11-A
That WERA Board post looks like a pretty good match to what my friend thought needed to be available.

Kordyte

Meh... It's too close to existing 'businesses' or services.

NESBA isn't hired to help YOU, but the community that surrounds it ends up doing so in many ways.

A step above for the learning aspect would be the superbike schools, YCRS, CSB, and others.

Other than those, it would make sense for individual experienced guys to offer their services like the fellow in the aforementioned WERA thread.

It seems that what's being proposed here is a middleman for the latter option, which I don't think would add enough value to be worthwhile.

greeny

so basically, he wants to group together a bunch of CRs and trackside vendors and call it moto acceleration?

it's hard enough to make money in this business when you know what you're talking about... and from his little sales pitch, this guy clearly doesn't.

sorry, a little harsh, but he needs to stop investing his time thinking about this right meow

noobinacan

greeny;169675 wrote: so basically, he wants to group together a bunch of CRs and trackside vendors and call it moto acceleration?

it's hard enough to make money in this business when you know what you're talking about... and from his little sales pitch, this guy clearly doesn't.

sorry, a little harsh, but he needs to stop investing his time thinking about this right meow
+1
had a buddy tell me I should start racing...
he goes "can't be that bad...you'll make money"
and I just laughed at him and told him he doesn't know what he's talking about.
he's never been to a track in his life...even to watch a race. HA

Wink

Color me confused...

If he goes to a track event, how will his COACH get on track to teach at the same time and in the same group as the student?

The in pit part and working on bike part makes sense to me. The Valentino comment just made me laugh. Valentino can't even help you become Valentino!

dlockhart5x

hiring a crew chief

When I get my TZ250 I'd love to spend a weekend with a experienced crew chief to learn to sort through the complexities of GP bike setup

Ed has been doing this out west for a while.

lifted from the usgpru beeb --- ed recently bought LE so he may be less available
Edventure Racing
Ed Sorbo (909) 838-4587 sorboec@dslextreme.com

Ed Sorbo is available to provide new or experienced riders with personalized rider coaching and bike set up at races and track days.

Infrastructure:
· Race Shop, Race Transport, Track Equipment.

Experience:
· 24 years of racing.
· Racing club owner.
· Racing school owner.
· Motorcycle shop owner.
· Five time club champion.
· AMA Pro 250 privateer for six years.
· World record setting WERA national endurance team owner.
· Chris Ulrich’s AMA Crew Chief for three years.

What I can do for you:
· Bike work at my shop.
· Bike set up at the track.
· Rider Coaching/Crew Chief at track days and races. Both by watching you from the side lines and with lead/following on the track.
· We can meet at a track and work out of my pit or I can fly in and work out of your pit.
· I can transport your bikes to any track in North America.

At the track:
· You show up and find my pit set up complete with 20’ by 11’ awning for life giving shade attached to my trailer for protection from the elements. Power from my RV runs your tire warms. Chairs, tables and tools proved by me.
· I’m your Crew Chief for the day or event. I’ll take care of the bike including tech, set up, adjustments and minor repairs. When it’s time to ride you make like a factory star and watch me pull your warmers and the stands.
· When you’re on track I’ll watch from the side lines and/or do lead/follow with you.
· After each ride we will debrief just like the pros.
· By the end of the day your bike will work better and be more reliable. You will be faster, smarter and better able to maximize your resources.
· At your next event you will have more fun and go faster with less risk and less effort

tiggen

First I want to say I like the entrepreneurial vibe.

BUT, if you teach me how to get everything out of my bike and I'm still slow as dirt, then what? That would crush my ego, and I simply can't handle that.

dbakerpa

I thought that was called a coach? You can buy that if you have the green. I dont think that there are many riders out there that want to use their seat time and race days coaching though.

dbakerpa

Heres an idea. He can haul all my crap to the track a day early so I dont have to worry about it. Now there's a service! Ill give him a penny a mile and all the ho ho's he can eat. :idea:

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
ontheR6;169711 wrote: The idea is a great one!!!
Unfortunately someone beat me to it!!:doh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh3KaY6gVgw

I've tried his services and now i'm a repeat long distance customer.
its a cool vid, watch it.
Couldn't agree more. Mark checked out my suspension settings, then after talking with him, he GAVE me the geometry numbers Attack was using when he was the chief. Didn't charge me a nickel. Awesome guy.