Am I too slow for Dunlop Q2?

maxpr1

So I ended my season last year with a crash for which I still can't wrap my head around why. I had switched from Pirelli Diablo Corsa III to Dunlops Q2 after many a recomandation.

So after re-building my bike over the winter and gettting ready to head out for my first track day in a week, I dropped my bike off at the local guru for a dyno tune and a quick once over.

As I go to pick up my bike, the guy tells me that maybe I should switch back to a "Street" compound as he could tell from looking at my chicken strip that I am not using the Q2 to its full potential. As he said, "running in beginner group you are not putting enough heat in the tire and that's probably why you crashed; a street compoud will heat up quicker and give you plenty of grip"

So, I had my qualms about getting back on the saddle to begin with, now I'm totally screwed (psychologically anyway)

WHAT DO I DO? CAN SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE WITH Q2 HELP?

This is my third season out, I run in beginner group with NESBA but Intermidiate in other orgs. I have heard many great stories about the Q2 and how they stick pretty well after a couple of laps. I crashed last year in the second session on a cold morning at NJMP
PLEASE HELP!!!!:banghead:
IMG_1637.jpg

betarace

I run both tired on my bikes and prefer the q2 because it heats up much faster than a dc3. By much faster we are talking 1 1/2 laps vs 2 laps. Both come well regarded and should be more than fine for a beginner and not too much tire (if there is such a thing). Recommend running 28-30 psi on the track front/rear.

In your crash, what pressures were you running and what lap did you crash on ?

betarace

Just saw session 2 at NJMP. On cold days ESP at NJMP turn 7 you want 3-4 warm up laps at least. The track heats The right faster than the left there as there are way more rights than lefts.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
The Q2, like the DCIII, is a street tire, technically, so I'm not sure I understand your "guru's" comment about going back to a street compound, since you are on a street compound. It's a hypersport tire that's also good for the track. You'll get plenty of heat in either one, they aren't race tires. If by street compound, he means you should switch to more of a sport-touring tire, then I disagree.

The Q2, like the old DCIII, is a perfect tire for you. If it was a cold morning and your crash was the second lap, you just didn't give them enough time to get warm. That's due to the cold weather, not the tire. Betarace asked good questions about what pressures you were running, etc.

This season, hook up with a CR first time out, explain your reservations, and have them help.

Mikey75702

I don't think your guru is much of a guru :notsure:

Like everyone else has said, the q2 is a street tire. Not sure which tire that guy wants you to switch too??

slowpoke

Mikey75702;179384 wrote: I don't think your guru is much of a guru :notsure:

Like everyone else has said, the q2 is a street tire. Not sure which tire that guy wants you to switch too??
:agree:

I'm astonished by some of the advice that is out there. I got a few questions this week from folks that had their local guru tell them to change what they are doing. Some of these suggestions would have been dangerous if implemented -

Not trying to slam the "guru", but he probably only has experience on a different brand and doesn't understand the Q2 is a hybrid street tire.

Tire pressures and/or cold tires can cause the most talented rider to crash. The Q2 will heat up much faster than a race tire; however it's limited by the track temperature. Not sure of the specifics surrounding your crash (time of year/day/temp/corner, etc), but look me or any other CR up at NJMP. I'll help you anyway I can to make this crash something of the past.

Good luck and hope to see you at that track.

Mikey75702

Oh, and one other thing. From what I was told tires gain heat from accelerating and braking. Then there has been a time or two I heard this repeated in the morning B group meeting when they tell us not to swerve to heat the tire.

slowpoke

Mikey75702;179386 wrote: Oh, and one other thing. From what I was told tires gain heat from accelerating and braking. Then there has been a time or two I heard this repeated in the morning B group meeting when they tell us not to swerve to heat the tire.
Swerving does nothing to put heat in the tires. And yes, I know you see some pros doing this in a warm up/sighting lap which is typically to scrub/scuff in the sides of a new tire. I don't know if it does much more than give them peace of mind before they barrel through T1 four-wide. I do know that it doesn't put heat in the tire.

Braking and accelerating hard while straight up and down will heat your tires very, very quickly. I do this when going out on a cold tire to get it up to temp quicker.

One more thing on swerving, please never do it. Aside from offering no benefit, it puts everyone at risk b/c it's unpredictable to other riders.

Fastguy

maxpr1;179348 wrote:
I crashed last year in the second session on a cold morning at NJMP
PLEASE HELP!!!!:banghead:
A cold morning? What month was your trackday on the cold morning in question?

The Q2 pictured looks normal in my amatuer opinion.

You need to seek the advice of another certified :rolleyes: guru :notsure:

racerx69

I mounted a set of Q2's couple months ago on my gixxer 600. Im just on the street right now, but so far Im really liking them. As far as aggressive mountain riding, Ive noticed on cold mornings they r sensitive to tire pressure, and after dropping the pressure alil bit, I noticed they started to generate alot more heat in a shorter amount of time. I agree, stay with the Q2's bro!!!

Mikey75702

slowpoke;179390 wrote: Swerving does nothing to put heat in the tires. And yes, I know you see some pros doing this in a warm up/sighting lap which is typically to scrub/scuff in the sides of a new tire. I don't know if it does much more than give them peace of mind before they barrel through T1 four-wide. I do know that it doesn't put heat in the tire.

Braking and accelerating hard while straight up and down will heat your tires very, very quickly. I do this when going out on a cold tire to get it up to temp quicker.

One more thing on swerving, please never do it. Aside from offering no benefit, it puts everyone at risk b/c it's unpredictable to other riders.
:agree:

That was my point. So if swerving does nothing to heat the tire.... then neither does using all of your chicken strips..... if none of that has anything to do with the op crashing, maybe he will feel more comfortable.

maxpr1

HondaGalToo;179362 wrote: This season, hook up with a CR first time out, explain your reservations, and have them help.
Thanks Judy, Thats good advice, I'll be sure to seek some help

Mikey75702;179384 wrote: I don't think your guru is much of a guru :notsure:
:agree: LMFO!!!

betarace;179358 wrote:
Recommend running 28-30 psi on the track front/rear.

In your crash, what pressures were you running and what lap did you crash on ?
I always use the first two laps to warm up the tires. I believe I was in the middle of the second session; I crashed well past turn one setting up for two. I had no experience on Dunlops so I think my pressures were definitively a few bars higher. So thanks for the Pressures suggestion.
It was the middle of October and the track was smooth as silk.... until she bit me that is!!!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
maxpr1;179439 wrote:
It was the middle of October and the track was smooth as silk.... until she bit me that is!!!
If the track temp is cold, it may take longer than the usual 1-2 laps to come up to temp. And, they aren't going to ever reach the grip level/temp of a nice hot sunny summer day...in the colder weather, much like rainy weather, the speeds and grip level just won't be optimal.

slowpoke

Mikey75702;179419 wrote: :agree:

That was my point. So if swerving does nothing to heat the tire.... then neither does using all of your chicken strips..... if none of that has anything to do with the op crashing, maybe he will feel more comfortable.
absolutely Mikey. chicken strips are a good thing. in fact, a few of us were trying to maintain chicken strips on our tires after taking the yamaha champions school where they went in great detail about minizming lean since ultimately Lean=Risk.

Rob Cic (CR) was able to run some seriously fast laps and stil have chicken strips on the tires due to improved body position, minimizing lean, and standing the bike up sooner to get on the gas while on the meat of the tire.

As I told you Max, grab me at your first event and we'll get you comfortable rolling out there with a big ole smile.

maxpr1

daddyfriedrich;179461 wrote: Count me in for a couple of laps of noob training!
I am starting to resent the noob comments... I did scrape a knee puck once!!!:notsure: