Am I too slow for Dunlop Q2?

slowpoke

maxpr1;179485 wrote: I am starting to resent the noob comments... I did scrape a knee puck once!!!:notsure:
from what you said, it was a knee puck, both elbows, a helmet, .......:D

JJ - at least now i know the guy you were talking about in "i" group stuffing everyone was YOU, phucker!

daddyfried.... sure thing - see you there!

rk97

daddyfriedrich;179441 wrote: Must be something evil bout the second session . . .that's when I went down. but my Q2's had nothing to do with it.
Winner.

The Q2 (and the DCIII, or any other comparable street/track tires) have had hundreds of hours of track testing for their ability to grip in varying weather and surface conditions - most of us as riders have not.

Look at riding habits before changing equipment. One variable at a time.

noobinacan

The question you're tryin to answer is "why did I go down ?"
did you just lowside ?

seems like a pretty straight forward answer: cold tires and I low sided.
Now you're ready to move on.
once you answer that question for yourself...you'll have confidence back.
wait till you have an off and don't know why it happened...

Rydell

I really hope that's not what he told you. (is there an echo in here?) I can't imagine the BS he's been feeding to other unknowing open minds new to our hobby.

The Q2 is a "hybrid" hyper sport street tire. And as a street tire, they do not need tire warmers since they were designed to require less time to warm up(however they can help eliminate that first or second warmup lap). It's not a pure track day / race tire, which would typically strongly recommend warmers because of the time it requires to generate enough heat for the tire to stick. The center of the Q2 is a harder compound for extensive street riding, the lips are a softer compound for grip when leaned over. Where the compound lacks overal grip of a race tire, it makes up for in less time to heat up. Most ride their bikes outside the track making this tire ideal for your casual track day rider.

Second, most days the track is so hot that you need 1 maybe 2 laps for street tires to be up to optimum temperature. Use common sense here, if it's colder in the morning then take it easier and monitor the pressure and temperatures. The Q2 isn't going to slide easier simply because you arent fast enough, they warm up just as fast as any other hyper sport tire out there. That "guru" is a turd. "echo echo echo..."

Additionally, I can tell you I was dragging my pegs through turns on my 06 R6 and STILL had "chicken" strips on my Q2. Don't worry about those, just work on your corner speed. Contrary to popular belief more lean does not always = faster. Take the TT races, those guys are blasting around hard corners at 100+ with minimal lean. Then you see newer guys who are dragging their knees through some of the corners. It begs the question, why are these other guys faster?

To add to the swerving theory, there was a study done where they measured the heat in the tire after swerving as opposed to normal riding, there was no difference. The other part of the arguement is it also serves to clean or scrub your tires from debris such as rocks and other junk from the paddock. In which case you need to worry about cleaning your tires before and after each session. Swerving is going to cause problems with people trying to pass you at much faster speeds. +1 Don't do it.

maxpr1

^^^ Thanks for the write up, he was showing me some Pilot Powers as an alternative. Truthfully, I do think he confused the Q2 with the GP-A as the thread is very similar. I think he is a Micheline Man and wasn't too familiar with what he was looking at.

In so far as the chicken strips are concerned, I am not too worried. This is my third season out. My first season it was sheer terror most of the time but incredibly addictive; by the end of the season, I sold my street bike and invested into a new bike and all of the gear and crap that come with the territory. By the second year I kidded my self into thinking I had a clue. This season, I am going in with a humble attitude, and a willingness to learn the "Right way" The only difference being that this time I will seek out giuidence and I won't be afraid to ask the preverbial Dumb Questions. Chicken strips are the least of my worries!

Truthfully I have become a NESBIAN because of the general attitude both here at the forum as well as at the track. With few exceptions, everyone seems to be incredibly supportive and wiling to help... now if I could only get a damned sticker out of it.....

Rydell

That's definitely the right attitude.

NESBA is very accepting of inquiring minds. I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything, and NESBA is one of the first places I go for good advice because you know no one is going to feed you BS or troll the question. The "pay it forward" system seems to work pretty well.

:cheers:

maxpr1;179485 wrote: I am starting to resent the noob comments... I did scrape a knee puck once!!!:notsure:
Hey hey hey, us noobs gotta stick together. I managed to scrape a lot of parts last october. Fairings, seat, subframe, clutch cover, etc.... Still picking out bits and pieces of VIR turf when I find them. :D

slowpoke

Rydell;179686 wrote: I really hope that's not what he told you. (is there an echo in here?) I can't imagine the BS he's been feeding to other unknowing open minds new to our hobby.

The Q2 is a "hybrid" hyper sport street tire. And as a street tire, they do not need tire warmers since they were designed to require less time to warm up(however they can help eliminate that first or second warmup lap). It's not a pure track day / race tire, which would typically strongly recommend warmers because of the time it requires to generate enough heat for the tire to stick. The center of the Q2 is a harder compound for extensive street riding, the lips are a softer compound for grip when leaned over. Where the compound lacks overal grip of a race tire, it makes up for in less time to heat up. Most ride their bikes outside the track making this tire ideal for your casual track day rider.

Second, most days the track is so hot that you need 1 maybe 2 laps for street tires to be up to optimum temperature. Use common sense here, if it's colder in the morning then take it easier and monitor the pressure and temperatures. The Q2 isn't going to slide easier simply because you arent fast enough, they warm up just as fast as any other hyper sport tire out there. That "guru" is a turd. "echo echo echo..."

Additionally, I can tell you I was dragging my pegs through turns on my 06 R6 and STILL had "chicken" strips on my Q2. Don't worry about those, just work on your corner speed. Contrary to popular belief more lean does not always = faster. Take the TT races, those guys are blasting around hard corners at 100+ with minimal lean. Then you see newer guys who are dragging their knees through some of the corners. It begs the question, why are these other guys faster?

To add to the swerving theory, there was a study done where they measured the heat in the tire after swerving as opposed to normal riding, there was no difference. The other part of the arguement is it also serves to clean or scrub your tires from debris such as rocks and other junk from the paddock. In which case you need to worry about cleaning your tires before and after each session. Swerving is going to cause problems with people trying to pass you at much faster speeds. +1 Don't do it.

AWESOME write-up:congrats::congrats:

The only thing I would add is related to dragging pegs. If you are in B group (or I for that matter) and drag your foot pegs, grab a CR asap and let him/her know b/c you are about to crash.

Gorecki

Yeah me too! Just the other day I took my gear out of the closet to put a brand new set of pucks on. As my youngest daughter was asking what they were for, I took one of the old pucks and scraped it on the floor... :eek: :haha: :doh:

rk97

Even if swerving to warm your tires was the greatest thing since sliced bread, it still wouldn't be a good idea.

I have seen it come DANGEROUSLY close to ending in tears. An Intro rider passed me on the first lap of the day (under yellow) and a control rider followed him by me, and started to pass him to prevent him from going by anyone else. We were at a snail's pace on the back straight, but as the CR went by the Intro rider, he decided; at the exact moment the CR's front wheel was coming up along side the Intro rider's rear wheel, to start swerving "to warm his tires."

the control rider damn near got taken out on the first lap of the day at 60 mph on the back straight at BeaveRun, where we'd normally be doing 120 or so. Ride the line. Be predictable.

In this case, the guy had clearly not paid any attention in the riders' meeting. He passed me under yellow, started swerving on the back straight, and then passed the control rider who he'd nearly taken out moments before (still under yellow).

And people wonder why "ride the race line and be predictable" are the things the control riders harp on :p

Rydell

slowpoke;179861 wrote: AWESOME write-up:congrats::congrats:

The only thing I would add is related to dragging pegs. If you are in B group (or I for that matter) and drag your foot pegs, grab a CR asap and let him/her know b/c you are about to crash.
:agree:

In B, scrapping pegs is usually going to be acompanied by a loud smash and cloud of dirt.

Brings back memories of Cornerspeed where all skill levels were in the same class. Dodging bikes and bodies like some sadistic human cone game.

heh, but it was fuuunnnn

maxpr1

Gorecki;179986 wrote: Just the other day I took my gear out of the closet to put a brand new set of pucks on. As my youngest daughter was asking what they were for, I took one of the old pucks and scraped it on the floor... :eek: :haha: :doh:
Awsome, I had my kid hold the puck while I took the belt sander to mine....!:D

Mig233

Believe me, I know what you're going thru. I had an off last sept at NJMP, i think it was turn 7 in fact. Left hand turn in the rain. First warm up last, I wasn't going fast or leaning far at all. 4 year old BT-014s plus a puddle of water at the apex = lost the front. I was so pissed off at the situation. Pissed at TPM for claiming "we don't run in standing water" and pissed that I never got frame sliders lol.

But I also had the next weekend booked at Shenandoah. I put a new set of Q2s on during the week and by the first session of the day, that crash was far behind me...even on a brand new track, especially Shenandoah, which is notorious for being very dangerous(NESBA doesn't run there).

Keep the Q2s, you can't be too slow for a tire that heats up as quickly as it does. I think I was running somewhere around 33 hot, with great results.

It's tough since your crash has been regurgitating in your mind all winter, but get back in the saddle as soon as you can. (You saw Top Gun right? lol) Once you get your knee down cornering again, you'll forget all about it, and you'll regain your confidence. Hope to see you out there.

Gorecki

daddyfriedrich;180742 wrote: Slow? Last time I got a knee down was at church last week.:doh:
Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif

:congrats: