As a First Timer, Shim the rear? Or start stock?

Lean.In.

Well there's no question what size tire I'm running, just how ima set it up to start with FOR that size.....

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I think the 190 Dunlops, unlike everyone else's 190s, are made for 600s? Are they a lot higher than 180/55s in another brand? I'd say just ride it. I rode my stock '07 gsxr 600 stock for the first year or so that I had it. All I did was had a suspension guy set the sag correctly. I've since had a Penske rear shock installed and a Penske 20mm kit in the forks. I had it done at Computrack, and they did the "sweet numbers" set up. He did make the forks flush with the triples, but I don't know how much was added to the rear. What I can say, is it's better, but not a HUGE difference.

Try it and see how it is...these bikes now are so good out of the box...

lplonske

am i missing something? all my bike have the top of the fork even with the top of the triple, this is NOT normal????

Lean.In.

I think some people may be misinterpreting my attitude abt this too. I'm new to this, yes, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it. It may sound wierd, but tuning the suspension is something I'm getting really pumped about playing with. What may sound like nervousness, or OCD, or worryin too much abt something isnt any of those...its me wanting to try every bit of it to see how each thing affects the bike and learn it well. The problem with that is that I AM new to track riding, so I may be getting myself in a little deep to start out when I should be concentrating on other things.

Lean.In.

lplonske;176030 wrote: am i missing something? all my bike have the top of the fork even with the top of the triple, this is NOT normal????
Stock gsxr settings have the fork like 1/4" above the tripple

lplonske

Lean.In.;176032 wrote: Stock gsxr settings have the fork like 1/4" above the tripple
hmm mine is new-to-me, so i guess i never noticed, and the superbike suspension guy didnt say anything either.

i hope you ride the wheels off the bike, bud

madriders86

Lean.In.;176031 wrote: I think some people may be misinterpreting my attitude abt this too. I'm new to this, yes, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it. It may sound wierd, but tuning the suspension is something I'm getting really pumped about playing with. What may sound like nervousness, or OCD, or worryin too much abt something isnt any of those...its me wanting to try every bit of it to see how each thing affects the bike and learn it well. The problem with that is that I AM new to track riding, so I may be getting myself in a little deep to start out when I should be concentrating on other things.

This right here.

In order for you to notice the differences when you make a change you need to know your starting point to begin with. Recognizing those changes is also a skill in itself. I think it takes a good bit of experience to pick that sort of thing up. I damn sure don't have it yet lol.

sobottka

Lean.In.;176019 wrote: ^you just read somethin somewhere huh?? Haha

Maybe thats where Im getting all this...

I know you dont know me man, but Im not one to make crap up and go throwin it around like Im genius. I KNOW ive read that 190 will affect the turn though...how?? Im not sure. But Ill keep researching it and shoot back some stuff I find. Whether or not the rear ride height has anything to do with it...that could have been a couple neurons connecting that werent supposed to...although I know raising the rear will reduce trail = quicker turning...but anyway...

Also, almost everyone on the WERA board runs a 190 on a 600cc. 5.5" rim. Im sure not even close to all of them race, but I know some do. And AMA Sportbike runs a 190 (Dunlops, like you are saying), although they have more HP's than me....
...i read it from by brain :rolleyes:
i know you dont know me either but what im telling you (and others are telling you here) is correct and common learned knowledge in racing. you can find anything on the internet but what we are telling you we know through trial and error (more error in my case ....which is good cuz you learn).

sobottka

lplonske;176024 wrote: i do know a certain ccs champ that runs a 190 "sometimes" (pirelli) on a 600

i have a 750 and i'm keeping my 180's
unless pirelli has something new this year i'm not aware of, i'd be willing to bet you $100 that he shows up for the first race at topeka with his 600 on a 180

greeny

what rob is saying is that the shape of the tire is less important than the chassis' geometry changes going on. you're raising the rear when you use a bigger tire on the same sized wheel (i.e. 180 to 190) which equals quicker turn in that more than negates the "wider" profiled tire. now you wanna shim the rear even more?! in our experiences, which is not referring to stuff we've read on the internet but actual experiences, you want to compensate for a taller tire by removing shims.

arhale09

I've got my money on two things happening at your first track day:

1.You'll grin from ear to ear all day long;
2. Your suspension setup won't make a lick of difference in how your day turns out.

All this stuff is important if you want to win races in expert class, but not your first time out. I promise. Just enjoy your day

some guy #2

First trackday? Shimming the rear? Different tire sizes?

Just get your bike rideable (stock) and show up. The WERA board is as much heresay as this place.

At your pace it will not make a bit of difference what you do to the suspension or tires unless you are either really bad or really good.

Lean.In.

Hows this sound Sobottka? Because a 190 on the back actually raises the rear, you reduce your swingarm angle. Per someone that talked to an Ohlins rep, shimming the rear is needed to increase your swingarm angle again...so Ill admit, no problem, that I was just using separate information to come to a misguided conclusion....although the result is the same....logical though? whatcha think

(for everyone else, ill keep the shims out and start "stock" with my 190. But Id like to continue the discussion otherwise just for "learning" purposes...so ease up on the "you suck so its doesnt matter answers" :D haha)

Matt

I've haven't read the whole thread.. here's my $0.02.

to your last post, tires are the MOST important part of your setup. Then comes gearing, springs, geometry and damping. A perfect swing arm angle will do squat for you if the rear is spinning, old, sliding, under/over pressure. If you start chasing all sorts of setup stuff on crap tires, you'll be chasing issues that might go away with new (or even newer) tires.

to Lee's post, geometry can be a personal preference thing, most guys find that GSXRs do best on the track with more trail, so the front is generally raised (forks lower in the trees).

when my 08 gsxr 600 was running stock suspension, I liked it best with the fork caps flush with the top of the upper triple clamp and 6mm of shim on the shock. Rode GREAT!

I highly recommend you don't worry so much about getting the exact perfect geometry setup. A good baseline (flush forks / +2-4mm on shock) is a great place to start for an 06+ GSXR 600/750. Damping settings will vary depending on your pace, a good suspension guy at the track can help you get that near the target. Again, its your preference and area in which the bike will work just fine is quite large. The only way you'll learn how each change effects things is to try it out, BUT, for now since you're just getting started, just use a good baseline or whatever you're already comfortable and ride the damn thing all season.... Don't touch the geometry unless you have a problem that you know will be fixed by geometry changes.

Also, bikes have a wide range of settings that will work. Don't worry about having it exactly right.

Rob Sobottka is good with setup. He helped me diagnose a problem with old bike that was plaguing me for months!

Lean.In.

^^^ matt, good post, thanks

Also, rob (ur name is out!!) seems extremely knowledgeable, although slightly agitatable. Ha.