As a First Timer, Shim the rear? Or start stock?

Matt

Jul 11, 2008
ERB68;176154 wrote: Ahhhh good old Matt.

Still taking beer bribes for bumps I see. :)

now that i'm brewing my own beer, I only accept Jack or Agavero now.

I'll bring a couple of the latest batch to BHF. :)

Lean.In.

Oct 11, 2010
Matt;176143 wrote: while you're technically correct, the swingarm angle in relation to the ground is changed when putting it on a rear stand, it's irrelevant because the bike isn't on track on a rear stand.

swingarm angle is measured against the parallel given to us by gravity (not the ground!!), and the height difference between the siwngarm pivot and the rear axle.
However small the change, it still flattens. Which is why I said in my post "granted its a much bigger change putting it on a stand than changing the tire diameter". I realize its a much smaller change, but it still flattens out...bottom line...thats all I was saying. Now what affect will it have..? = stuff im not sure about yet being new.

You dont race with the rear stand attached? How do you get any grip with the tire on the ground?

And the parallel given by gravity = a flat horizon correct? as in no slope to the surface the bike is on.

arhale09

Aug 25, 2008
Lean.In.;17610 wrote:

Also, rob (ur name is out!!) seems extremely knowledgeable, although slightly agitatable. Ha.
I'd say he's been pretty patient with you. All the CRs have gone out of their way to offer helpful advice, which you seem dead set on debating. If you want to see agitable, go ask for advice on the WERA board then dismiss or disagree with it. Don't forget to mention you've never turned a wheel on the track, but you plan on doing your first day with CCS.

Everybody here loves to ride on the track, but most of us don't care much about shim heights and swingarm characteristics. So if you've got questions or comments, we're all ears, but if you just want to debate trivial shit for the hell of it, don't be surprised if you're talking to yourself before too long

Lean.In.

Oct 11, 2010
Matt;176145 wrote: just thought about this.. on the average sportbike... we do NOT have an adjustment we can make where the primary effect is swingarm angle.

that would require an adjustable swingarm pivot.

shock length, ride height, weight, swignarm angle, trail are all effected, and i think in that order

get it?
Serious question, not being a smart ass...what is the PRIMARY affect of lengthening the shock? Just ride height? And swing arm angle is secondary?

Lean.In.

Oct 11, 2010
arhale09;176158 wrote: I'd say he's been pretty patient with you. All the CRs have gone out of their way to offer helpful advice, which you seem dead set on debating. If you want to see agitable, go ask for advice on the WERA board then dismiss or disagree with it. Don't forget to mention you've never turned a wheel on the track, but you plan on doing your first day with CCS.

Everybody here loves to ride on the track, but most of us don't care much about shim heights and swingarm characteristics. So if you've got questions or comments, we're all ears, but if you just want to debate trivial shit for the hell of it, don't be surprised if you're talking to yourself before too long

Dude chill, I was messing around. He has been helpful. I agree, a LOT of people have been extremely helpful. Thats why Im picking everyones brain (maybe to death) but there is a ton to talk about related to suspension and Im bringing up valid points....for the millionth time Im not debating what I should do any longer, Im just trying to learn/discuss/disect a lot of the aspects of the suspension. Thats it...if you dont want to contribute b/c Im pissing you off, go check out another thread. Im seriously interested in this topic. I have yet to get mad at anyone on here, and I know its hard to tell the tone of someones post b/c its on a computer screen, but Ive continually tried to lighten the mood in the thread and keep it on topic.

Lean.In.

Oct 11, 2010
Stow, thank you (seriously) for your post.

Trailmug, From what im understanding, the 6mm (or 4 or 5 or whatever) is the actual shim thickness inserted b/w the schock bracket and the mounting pad.

Matt

Jul 11, 2008
Lean.In.;176157 wrote: However small the change, it still flattens. Which is why I said in my post "granted its a much bigger change putting it on a stand than changing the tire diameter". I realize its a much smaller change, but it still flattens out...bottom line...thats all I was saying. Now what affect will it have..? = stuff im not sure about yet being new.
yes, but again, it's a VERY insignificant change. you get much more of an effect on swingarm angle by changing shock length.

The effect of swignarm angle?? flatter will cause the bike to run wide on the gas on corner exit (secondary effect is smooth loss of traction).. steeper swingarm angle means the bike can actually tighten it's line while on the gas on corner exit, but will get you a more abrupt loss of traction.. harder to sneak up on the line of traction.

You dont race with the rear stand attached? How do you get any grip with the tire on the ground?

And the parallel given by gravity = a flat horizon correct? as in no slope to the surface the bike is on.
exactly. you can use a pinion angle magentic base gauge to measure swignarm angle, but it's precarious because the ground isn't always flat. AND, swingarm angle is always changing due to rider weight, load on the rear, etc. Don't worry so much about the specific number you're trying to hit, use the way the bike feels on the gas to decide if you need more or less swingarm angle. And there's no way you can actually tell if you need more or less swingarm angle based on the bikes behavior till you're running a decent I pace. And still at that point, symptoms of other issues can make you think swingarm angle. too soft of rear spring, preload out of range, packing the shock (Thanks again Rob!)

Lean.In.

Oct 11, 2010
awesome, thank you. a lot of that is going to be stuff Im going to have to wait to bring up b/c each variable is its own can of worms.

Matt

Jul 11, 2008
Lean.In.;176159 wrote: Serious question, not being a smart ass...what is the PRIMARY affect of lengthening the shock? Just ride height? And swing arm angle is secondary?

yes, ride height is the primary effect. changes in ride height effect center of gravity which also effects weight distribution.

Almost every change on a motorcycle has an effect to some degree on almost everything else.

leave your bike nearly stock and ride the wheels off of it! I leave mine stock, but I wouldn't say I ride the wheels off of it.

sobottka

Aug 6, 2008
Matt;176165 wrote: And still at that point, symptoms of other issues can make you think swingarm angle. too soft of rear spring, preload out of range, packing the shock (Thanks again Rob!)
yep .... i'm awesome. ...just ask me.
:squid:

Lean.In.

Oct 11, 2010
Rob thank you too man. All exclamations were purely in good spirits. Hope to meet all you dudes. May be hittin Road A, anyone going to be there

sobottka

Aug 6, 2008
Lean.In.;176198 wrote: Rob thank you too man. All exclamations were purely in good spirits.
i get it, believe me, all in good clean fun! :cheers:
road atl ? maybe later in the year. barber this weekend :cool:

beac83

Jul 12, 2008
Lean.In.;176125 wrote: How many times do I have to say ill leave my bike alone! Dang! Haha. I'm going to keep it stock and go from there...Everything else is just for the purpose of discussion, that's it.
That's great. Look to see you out at the track. Stop by and say hi. :)

Saltman

Apr 27, 2009
Matt;176156 wrote: now that i'm brewing my own beer, I only accept Jack or Agavero now.

I'll bring a couple of the latest batch to BHF. :)
Bring some to Barber too!

Matt

Jul 11, 2008
Saltman;176310 wrote: Bring some to Barber too!
sobottka;176201 wrote:
team chouffe will be highly offended if you dont! :rtfm:

It's a tripel karmeliet clone.. :cool: somewhere in the neighborhood of 9% ABV. :D

I'll have "a few" with me if I can figure out how to transport it and not shake it up at all.