DC3 vs. SC pro med?

Quickone4u

Well, I've been running DC3s for a couple of years now and absolutely love them but, I've been considering trying the SC pro series. My question is, how does the SC pro medium compound front compare to the DC3 front? I know the Sc has a larger contact patch due to fewer tred grooves but what about compound? I've read in a few places that the DC3 front shares the same compound as the SC medium. Is this true? I know that the DC3 is a street/track tire and the SC pro is a track tire but would it be a bad choice to try running the SC front with a DC3 rear on the street and track? I would think if the fronts are the same compound that it wouldn't be too bad but honestly, I don't know and that's why I'm asking. Thanks in advance for any help!

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Thats exacly what i used to run, SC2 front and DCIII rear. I feel like the sc2 gives you more "feel" i always felt like i had to fether the dcIII front, but with the sc2 you just have all the confidence in the world! as far as compounds DCIII has a hard compound in the center and a soft on the sides.

Quickone4u

Emerson;45952 wrote: Thats exacly what i used to run, SC2 front and DCIII rear. I feel like the sc2 gives you more "feel" i always felt like i had to fether the dcIII front, but with the sc2 you just have all the confidence in the world! as far as compounds DCIII has a hard compound in the center and a soft on the sides.
Yeh, that's what I'm looking for, a little more feel and the larger contact patch basically. I really like the DC3s and feel confident on them, just curious about trying the SC mostly. The front DC3 is actually a "medium" compound all the way across where the back is the harder compound center with the softer side compounds if I remember correctly. Thanks for the reply!

snikwad

when the dc3 1st came out i remember reading they kept the front a single comound as they said that a dual front wasnt feasible, so they made a special compound that was similar to the sc medium, but just a tad harder, for wear.

Quickone4u

snikwad;45988 wrote: when the dc3 1st came out i remember reading they kept the front a single comound as they said that a dual front wasnt feasible, so they made a special compound that was similar to the sc medium, but just a tad harder, for wear.
That's basically what I've heard and the reason I'm intrested in trying the SCs out. A little softer maybe and a little more contact. Anybody have any other thoughts? I've seen these at a pretty good price and would like to give them a try but, if it's not a good idea or they're are any cons to running this for street/track then please feel me in. Also looking for any other postives to trying this. Thanks guys.

Steve

+1
I haven't had any issues running sc2 front and dc3 rear tires, but on track only, not street. It's not that I wouldn't use them on the street, just that I haven't. :dunno:

snikwad

I'd do it, but not with a sc3 compound. Go with a sc2 (soft) compound. They're a little softer than the dc3 front, so more grip, combined with the softer carcas for added feel. Yet, being a front, and riding them on the street, they still wear great, and feel great. Its just the rear that wears out mad quick on the street.

Plus with the grippier tire being in the front, I think its better this way, as any slipping should occur at the rear 1st with the dc3 than the sc up front. Given normal circumstances.

Quickone4u

snikwad;46082 wrote: Yet, being a front, and riding them on the street, they still wear great, and feel great. Its just the rear that wears out mad quick on the street.

Plus with the grippier tire being in the front, I think its better this way, as any slipping should occur at the rear 1st with the dc3 than the sc up front. Given normal circumstances.
Exactly what I was thinking and the reason that I was wanting to try it out. Thanks fellas, I beleive I've made up my mind and will give this combo a try. One more question, how does the SC front profile compare with the DC3s? Are they similar? I would think the SC would have a little sharper profile giving me quicker turn in but, I could be wrong.

snikwad

Quickone4u;46195 wrote: Exactly what I was thinking and the reason that I was wanting to try it out. Thanks fellas, I beleive I've made up my mind and will give this combo a try. One more question, how does the SC front profile compare with the DC3s? Are they similar? I would think the SC would have a little sharper profile giving me quicker turn in but, I could be wrong.
slightly pointier profile, yes. the SC def turns in better than the dc3

Quickone4u

Has anybody that runs these on the street also had any trouble with keeping the tires warmed up or trouble with the heat cycling? How about getting them up to temp also? I know these aren't street tires and I mostly want them for the track and hard canyon/twisty runs but, I do still ride the street. Just trying to gather as much info as I can before slapping one on.

Bluenvy

snikwad;46082 wrote: I'd do it, but not with a sc3 compound. Go with a sc2 (soft) compound. They're a little softer than the dc3 front, so more grip, combined with the softer carcas for added feel. Yet, being a front, and riding them on the street, they still wear great, and feel great. Its just the rear that wears out mad quick on the street.

i believe SC2 is a medium-soft.. correct me if im wrong

crewnutz

in simple terms

SC3 (yellow)- hard
SC2 (green)- medium
SC1 (blue)- soft
SC0 (white)- ultra soft (Q tire)

myself and plenty of other riders i know run the SC3 front............the SC1 & SC2 tend to have a "squishy" feeling in the front and IMO feel far less stable as you trail brake...........both a SC1 and a SC3 can achieve equivalent lap times, the front tire comes down more to rider preference

Quickone4u

crewnutz;46549 wrote: in simple terms

SC3 (yellow)- hard
SC2 (green)- medium
SC1 (blue)- soft

myself and plenty of other riders i know run the SC3 front............the SC1 & SC2 tend to have a "squishy" feeling in the front and IMO feel far less stable as you trail brake...........both a SC1 and a SC3 can achieve equivalent lap times, the front tire comes down more to rider preference
Thanks for clearing the compounds up, that's what I thought. Is the SC3 hard compound the one they say the DC3 shares compounds with? I'm mostly looking to try the same or a slightly softer compound in the front then what I have with the DC3. If thats the SC3 or the SC2 then so be it. How is the wear with the different compounds, say from the SC3 to the SC2? and what about how they warm up? much difference?

Quickone4u

snikwad;46082 wrote: I'd do it, but not with a sc3 compound. Go with a sc2 (soft) compound. They're a little softer than the dc3 front, so more grip, combined with the softer carcas for added feel. Yet, being a front, and riding them on the street, they still wear great, and feel great. Its just the rear that wears out mad quick on the street.

So just to be sure, which one of these were you referring to with the above?
SC3 (yellow)- hard
SC2 (green)- medium
SC1 (blue)- soft

Quickone4u

LMsports;46301 wrote: The perfect place to get an answer is at www.diabloracer.com
I registered here last week in hopes of getting a little more info for comparing the two tires and compounds but, they still have not activated my account! So in the mean time I'm still asking for any other input from the great people of Nesba who seem to very knowledgeable themselves. Thanks for all the replys and input guys, keep it coming if anybody has more please.

snikwad

Quickone4u;47007 wrote: So just to be sure, which one of these were you referring to with the above?
SC3 (yellow)- hard
SC2 (green)- medium
SC1 (blue)- soft
SC2 or SC1 if you cant find any 2s.
im currently on racetecs, which is the same tire as the old supercorsas, called dragons,
K2 rear and K1 front, honestly, they take a while to get blued up at my slow pace, and barely did, only on the sides, but the max temp all weekend was like 70 degrees. so i suppose on a hot ass 90+ degree day they will last a little longer than they normally do.

whatever you decide, remember tire pressure is critical with these pirelli/metzler tires. they simply dont work well at the wrong pressure.

Rassie

Running SC's on the street.

I currently run DSC SC's on the street. Race take offs that I scored down at Daytona after doing some pit work. I have been running the SC1 rear and SC2 front with no problems now since last year. Allow a mile or so for warmup and make sure pressure front is 3.2 front and 3.4 rear (cold) to compensate for the lower temps you run on the street.