DC3 vs. SC pro med?

Quickone4u

Rassie;48275 wrote: I currently run DSC SC's on the street. Race take offs that I scored down at Daytona after doing some pit work. I have been running the SC1 rear and SC2 front with no problems now since last year. Allow a mile or so for warmup and make sure pressure front is 3.2 front and 3.4 rear (cold) to compensate for the lower temps you run on the street.
What kind of riding have you been doing with them on the street? I mostly ride curving mountain roads and twisty backroads. I would really like to give these a try mostly for the track But, as of right now this is still my street bike. I just don't want to put some on right before my track day and then have them only last or grip well for a month or so after my TD with just street riding. Were you saying to run 32psi front/34 psi rear? I was expecting to have to run them a little lower then that even on the street to make sure I get them up to temp. How has the grip lasted for you particularly with the front on the street? Sorry for the bazillion questions! I just want to be as informed as I can before throwing down the cash'ola:eek:

Quickone4u

snikwad;48323 wrote: 32 is hot is mad high on any pirelli, atleast on track.
That's exactly why I was asking! I run my DC3s at 32 hot and thought that I would need to run the supercorsa around the same or lower hot for the street.

chambers

Does your weight play a part in what pressures you should run?

Full gear I'm hittin around 230 so I was leaning towards the higher side of the recommended pressure.

Or is more about what feels better for you?

Rassie

PSC' on the street.

I also only ride backroads and twisty mountain roads. I do the Blue ridge parkway down and back up (1100 miles) twice a each year. I did it before with DC3's and last year I started using the PSC's just because I had them sitting in my basement. Honestly I cannot tell the difference other than when it is cold like below 45, then the tires do not warm up enough (Both the DC3's and the DSC's) and you have to take it easy. I run the higher pressures since the tires never really get up to proper temp like on the track so I make up for the added pressure provided by the heat in the tire on the track. On a warm day above say 75, I will drop the pressure to 30 front and 32 rear. Then they warm up pretty good. However I must admit riding on the street I almost never get to the kind of lean angles that I do on the track. I tend mostly do stupid things in smart places and tend to ride well within my limits on the street. You know what they say you do not get old bold bikers just old bikers. :) To answer your last question I have never had problems with grip in the front with both the DC3's and PSC's.

What I have run into during one of my long 1100 mile rides was that the tires wear much faster than street tires and one time found myself 300 miles from home with tires that were bold on the sides so I had to get off the parkway and ride the highway home. By the time I got home the tire was bald in the center as well. Almost did not make it, close shave. So now I do not use my track day takeoffs on my long range touring bike anymore. The PSC's were used for qualifying so they only had at most 10 laps on them and were almost new. I have about 1500 miles on them now with pretty good wear. The rear is looking worse than the front but I would say they will probably be good for another 1000 miles.

Quickone4u

Rassie;48584 wrote: I also only ride backroads and twisty mountain roads. I do the Blue ridge parkway down and back up (1100 miles) twice a each year. I did it before with DC3's and last year I started using the PSC's just because I had them sitting in my basement. Honestly I cannot tell the difference other than when it is cold like below 45, then the tires do not warm up enough (Both the DC3's and the DSC's) and you have to take it easy. I run the higher pressures since the tires never really get up to proper temp like on the track so I make up for the added pressure provided by the heat in the tire on the track. On a warm day above say 75, I will drop the pressure to 30 front and 32 rear. Then they warm up pretty good. However I must admit riding on the street I almost never get to the kind of lean angles that I do on the track. I tend mostly do stupid things in smart places and tend to ride well within my limits on the street. You know what they say you do not get old bold bikers just old bikers. :) To answer your last question I have never had problems with grip in the front with both the DC3's and PSC's.

What I have run into during one of my long 1100 mile rides was that the tires wear much faster than street tires and one time found myself 300 miles from home with tires that were bold on the sides so I had to get off the parkway and ride the highway home. By the time I got home the tire was bald in the center as well. Almost did not make it, close shave. So now I do not use my track day takeoffs on my long range touring bike anymore. The PSC's were used for qualifying so they only had at most 10 laps on them and were almost new. I have about 1500 miles on them now with pretty good wear. The rear is looking worse than the front but I would say they will probably be good for another 1000 miles.
Thanks! This is exactly the info I was looking for as far as street use goes. I kinda figured they would fall somewhere in this range. I just want to get a little street use out of them after my trackday without them slipping and sliding everywhere and wearing out after a few days. Now I just need to get them.