E15 approved

dlockhart5x

We are investigating buying "mild" race fuels because pump gas is getting worse.

On Wednesday, October 13, 2010, the EPA approved a ruling allowing an increase of the ethanol percentage from 10% (E10) to 15% (E15) in gasoline. E10 has been the subject of much controversy concerning engine and emission issues. While there are a few benefits associated with the addition of ethanol to gasoline, the negative affects far outweigh the positives.

Ethanol provides the following benefits:

• Ethanol is produced from corn grown in the US thus reducing overseas crude oil demand.
• Ethanol provides higher octane ratings with less carbon monoxide emissions.
• Has increased lubricity compared to gasoline.

Ethanol also has the following problems:

• Poor low temperature characteristics compared to gasoline, icing can occur.
• Very susceptible to degradation from water.
• Highly susceptible to bacteria degradation.
• Poor oxidation resistance resulting in reduced power.
• Conducts electricity and static discharge.
• Degrades many resins, plastics, rubber, adhesives and coatings
• Contributes to corrosion
• Slightly lower energy content than gasoline which reduces fuel economy.
• Ignites at a higher temperature than gasoline which can affect timing.
• Ethanol is more expensive to produce than gasoline.
• Combustion of E10+ produces aldehydes, a dangerous chemical that has been known to cause respiratory issues and cancer.

Technically; Ethanol Gasoline vs. Gasoline
• Vapor density: Ethanol vapor, like gasoline vapor, is denser than air and tends to settle in low areas. However, ethanol vapor disperses rapidly.
• Solubility in water: Fuel ethanol will mix with water, but at high enough concentrations of water, the ethanol will separate from the gasoline.
• Flame visibility: An ethanol/gasoline fuel blend flame is less bright than a gasoline flame. Specific gravity Ethanol/gasoline blends are heavier than gasoline.
• Conductivity: Ethanol blends conduct electricity. Gasoline, by contrast, is an electrical insulator.
• Toxicity: Ethanol is less toxic than gasoline or methanol. Carcinogenic compounds are not present in pure ethanol; however, because gasoline is used in the blend, E15 to E85 is considered potentially carcinogenic dues to the combustion products (aldehydes) produced.
• Flammability: Flashpoint for gasoline= -45° F, Flashpoint for pure ethanol= 55° F, Flashpoint for E15= -25 to -4° F.

The EPA has indicated that E15 is not legal to use in older vehicles, heavy-duty engines, boats and small engines used in lawn mowers and gardening equipment. It remains unclear as to how non-ethanol fuel will be sold and how it shall be labeled. E15 will be allowed but not required across the nation.

The following areas do not require ethanol/alcohol pump labeling: District of Columbia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio.

The following states sometimes require labeling, often dependent on percent of ethanol alcohol added: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia.
Each state has different regulations. Several states that are now labeling, are attempting to change laws to "no label".

In most areas ethanol is added to the tanks by the delivery truck drivers, few gas stations monitor or check ethanol content (% added) of fuel delivered and contained in the gas pump. The percent of ethanol is often incorrectly added by the local fuel distributor and gas pump may not reveal ethanol alcohol was even added to gasoline.

Water Issues:
Ethanol is very water soluble. It attracts and absorbs water, condensation and moisture.
Ethanol is also a very good solvent unfortunately many plastic and rubber parts ethanol comes in contact with can become very brittle or swell and become gelatinous. Many components in engines and fuel system were designed to be resistant to petroleum based fluids not alcohols.

Delivery Issues:
Suppliers of ethanol ‘provide a lack of consistent volumetric measurements upon delivery. They have inconsistent quality certifications, their test results seldom include all ASTM requirements and they have product Identification and traceability issues.’ (Straight from Conoco-Phillips)

Ethanol also has compatibility issues with
• Filters (media and glue)
• Storage Tanks
• Pumps
• Labels
• Fuel Measuring Paste

Fuel Tank Issues:
There are five types of materials to fabricate fuel tanks; aluminum, steel, cross-link polyethylene, high density polyethylene and fiberglass. The data clearly indicates that the increased use of ethanol in gasoline has raised safety and durability issues for aluminum and fiberglass fuel tanks.

Aluminum Fuel Tanks - In the case of aluminum tanks, aluminum is a highly conductive metal that relies on an oxide layer for its corrosion protection properties. Low levels of ethanol, such as E10 (10%), are usually not a problem in aluminum tanks because the oxide layer provides a good measure of protection. The problem occurs when the ethanol content is increased.

There are two mechanisms that occur with ethanol. Both mechanisms are a result of the hydroscopic property of ethanol, meaning it absorbs water. The more ethanol in the fuel, the more water there will be in the fuel tank. Water not only causes the tank to corrode, it also causes the corrosion particles to clog fuel filters, fuel systems, and damage engine components. The corrosion rate can be accelerated under a number of conditions if other contaminating metals are present such as copper which may be picked up from brass fittings or as a low level contaminant in the aluminum alloy. Chlorides will also accelerate corrosion. In the long term, corrosion can perforate the aluminum to produce leaks.

The second mechanism that can occur is galvanic corrosion. Gasoline fuel is not conductive, but the presence of ethanol or ethanol and water will conduct electricity. A galvanic process occurs within the aluminum fuel tank. Often you can protect against galvanic corrosion with sacrificial anodes made of zinc. Sacrificial anodes are not a feasible option for the interior of a fuel tank.

Fiberglass Fuel Tanks - There have also been reports of heavy black deposits on the intake valves of engines resulting in bent push rods, pistons and valves. Some of the preliminary analysis conducted by an independent lab found the deposits to be di-octylphalates (plasticizers), a chemical found in the resins, plastics, rubber hoses and gaskets, paint, gel coats and filler used to make fiberglass fuel tanks.

An initial theory is that when ethanol is introduced to the fuel tank the very small ethanol molecules diffuse into pores between the resin where they dissolve the un-reacted phalates. Since the phalates are in solution they are able to pass through the fuel line filters. These phalates have exceptionally high temperature stability and remain intact when the fuel evaporates in the on the injectors on a small scale or undergoes only partial decomposition in the combustion chamber thus creating the heavy black deposits on the engine’s intake valves.

jcrich

Fortunately there are 2 gas stations in the area that sell non-ethanol fuel here. Started using it this year. Bike definitely runs better and although it is not really that important, the bike uses much less fuel. I used to go through a 5 gallon can in a day, now use about 3.5 gallons to 4 gallons in a day.

Uuugggg!

The stupidity never ends.

However, VP makes a nice unleaded 100 octane race fuel Judy that your fuel injected bike will happily drink!

BZ

Matt

that's a bummer. I always wanted to try "oxygenating" with mtbe.

The local small engine shop sells a substance that is supposed to take care of all the problems the ethanol causes in fuel... i'm not sure if it gives a net horsepower increase or not.

jtsgsxr6

I've got a couple stations around me that have ethanol free gas. I should start bootlegging it to the track days.:idea:

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Bubba Zanetti;161768 wrote: Uuugggg!

The stupidity never ends.

However, VP makes a nice unleaded 100 octane race fuel Judy that your fuel injected bike will happily drink!

BZ
Augh, too pricey, I'd have to remap, and that won't work in my lawnmowers!

Yup:

C12 and A747 in my weed eater and it runs like a top on that mix :wow:

And it does smell like the track LOL! My neighbor asked me what I was running in it one day as it was stinking up my yard.

BZ

Gorecki

I haven't seen *real* gas in so long now, it's not even funny. Now this?

So, anyone have a good base estimate on how long injectors are going to last now, 10-15k? :puke:

Yank 521

Control Rider
there is a company that is sponsoring me out of indiana. it's called dragon racing fuels. http://dragonracingfuels.com they have a bunch of different fuels and octane boosters. i have a bunch of their brochures if anybody would like one at jennings in feb and will have them in my pits through out the season.

P

preredibshits

Thanks for taking time to discuss this

Thanks for taking time to discuss this. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog. I am looking forward some more information from your end, it¡¯s really helpful for me. I will bookmark your site to check if you write more about in the future. Please keep up the good work.thanks for sharing.iphone solar charger

Meat

Nice how they mention lower emissions, but it is only lower emissions when you burn it. Much higher emissions to produce the ethanol, not to mention the increased price in food because everyone is growing corn for ethanol....which is further subsidized by the government.

J

jfromcand

Hi

There is no question, what so ever which you have an particularly valid point there.