Lean-o-meter

Spyda

Is there a device out there that measures lean angle? I'm curious about how much I'm getting the bike over. It feels like I'm at the limit, but I'm sure I'm nowhere close! :D

Spyda

ZING! You got me there. I get both knees down quite a bit, but I'm curious how much the bike is leaning relative to how much I'm leaning off of it.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
The only place I've seen anything like that is on moto gp, but if you have it on your bike i don't see how you could keep an eye on it as you should be looking through the turn when you are leaned over. twotyres said it, that's what your knees are supposed to do.

TwoTyres

Well, riding with nesba we have some great tools. The CR's will let us know if we ask them to follow and then the photogs, go in the trailer throughout the day and look at your form in the pictures.

Spyda

Was thinking of something that would store the max angle. I used to have a Caddy CTS-V that would store the max g's in the left and right direction. I think the max the car could handle was .91, so anything above that is throwing caution to the wind. I remember hearing on another forum that th theoretical max lean angle is something like 60 degrees. If that's true (and I'm not saying it is), I'm just curious how far away from that I am.

Spyda

TwoTyres;1017 wrote: Well, riding with nesba we have some great tools. The CR's will let us know if we ask them to follow and then the photogs, go in the trailer throughout the day and look at your form in the pictures.
I've been to plenty of events and have all of the pics of you thumbnails stored on my hard drive, but the angles are tough (other than turn 4 at VIR north) to see what your lean angle really is. The pic in my avatar is me at Barber. Does it look like there's a lot of lean angle left (real question, not being a douche)?

TwoTyres

lean.jpg

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Spyda;1022 wrote: I've been to plenty of events and have all of the pics of you thumbnails stored on my hard drive, but the angles are tough (other than turn 4 at VIR north) to see what your lean angle really is. The pic in my avatar is me at Barber. Does it look like there's a lot of lean angle left (real question, not being a douche)?
Yes, just get your butt on the bike more and your upper body off more, and you should get more lean

Big Deezul

did you miss the link I posted....it for a data acquisition system that would tell you the info you are looking for.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
Big Deezul;1034 wrote: did you miss the link I posted....it for a data acquisition system that would tell you the info you are looking for.
that's a cool little gadget, it seems like it would be super helpful. too bad my pockets aren't so deep:(

Spyda

Big Deezul;1034 wrote: did you miss the link I posted....it for a data acquisition system that would tell you the info you are looking for.
Looks cool, but $999 is a tad pricey!

Hey Spyda,

Keith Codes book Twist of the Wrist II may help you some with your question. Although Code doesn't say how far a bike can be leaned, as in degrees, what he says along with Doug Chandlers notes on the subject are interesting.

Others have said it, it involves using your knees as the gauge for lean angle, or the racer in the picture on page one, using your foot to hold the bike up.

My 2 cents from a slow B group guy.

mlmoore

Just hang one off these off the back.

Just hand one off these off the back of your seat and have a CR watch it for you. LOL.

Actually if you are serious you could mount something similar in front of a video camera.

51MKAMEJ9AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This was really just a joke:wow: