Lean-o-meter

Quantum_Ape

Hey BigKid, i think you might have where i'm going with this wrong.

No way would i ever really on a read out to tell me how far i have to go. These are the reasons i became interested in this.

1. Someone mentioned it couldn't be done and the geek in me piped up and said oh yeah?

2. Just like pictures, its more data to look at later and see how your progressing and how the bike is handling.

3. Its just fun playing with this stuff.

Now i am well aware of the different influences that progressively change. And if your looking for a valid reason to actually use a tool like this, the most appealing would be suspension tuning. With this device you can reliably read vibration, bound, rebound rates, dive in and unloading of suspension at various points. How much weight shifts between front and rear suspension and how smoothly upon hard breaking and acceleration. And the list goes on.

Let's see your average rider gauge the frequency and amplitude of vibrations through there bike at even a fraction of what would be possible with this.

Oh, and i'm working on temp gauges for the tires on my bike so i can see what there doing and when. I just figured we needed yet another thing to debate about.

Now that i have told my justifications of why this project would even be worth a look, of which i am very lazily playing with, let me clear some misconceptions up that i might have wrongly communicated.

I am not the type of person that will break down riding into a scientific formula and ride by the numbers. I will not set up anything to give more control of my bike to computer equipment than i have. I hate the idea of ABS and traction control on any bike or even a car if its performance orientated. I use my knees like everyone else in addition to so many other inputs to gauge how i am doing. I trust my body to tell me what i need to know and I'm proud of the fact i can sense when one of my four tires on my RSX-S is only 2 psi off.

Now look at all the people out there that are bent on putting cameras on every corner of there bike. How many people stare at there pictures over and over? So tell me, why would a device that can give you all this other input is so much different? it's yet another thing to check out and analyze. No one is depending on it to tell them when there going to lowside. Heck I'm not even interested in putting a read out on the bike because basically i won't be looking at it till I'm off the track.

As far as the biology of our body, I wasn't saying we can't feel these inputs (with experience of course), nor was i saying that when we can't gauge things on our own we should depend on readouts. I was simply making a statement that because all sensory inputs are relative to the conditions they are being felt in, the human body is a inaccurate tuning tool unless your one of the few really talented people.

Want to try something really fun? Go stand in a door jam. With your hands at your sides, put the back of your hands against the jams and push nice and hard for about a minute. Then totally relax your arms and step out. Where do they rest?

Anyway, relax guys, i don't intend on taking any of your fun away, and if you still don't like it, no one's forcing you to use it. Who's to say I'll even be making it available beyond the plans for how to make it. On the other hand you might see me fine tuning my suspension based on my laptop readouts :idea:

I just really don't want people to make me out to be the bad guy for playing with an idea.

BigKid

OK, I was harsh. I like your response. I am a big fan of suspension data logging. Another toy I plan on getting is the GPS lap timer with track overlay software. I agree that traction control is spoiling racing. Traction control is a cheaters tool as far as I am concerned and as soon as I can afford it I do want it. LOL I wish the 1098R had a reliable traction control system, it would make pulling the trigger much easier both on the purchase of the bike and the throttle. LOL As far as lean angle is concerned I think the only way the data could be analized would be on the same corner comparing different laps. With GPS you can compare splits in a corner and alalize which entry and exit lines are better, maybe overlaying lean angle would alow you to campare which line puts you at more of a risk but how do you compare a line that requires more lean angle and less speed or less angle and more speed. It comes down to, if you do not follow a path EXACTLY the same every lap you are not comparing apples to apples. The best GP riders lines have to vary by several inches if not feet from lap to lap. Unfortunately no track is so ribbon smooth that all of this could be calculated down to numbers that matter.

My point is buy pictures if you want to see yourself leaned over. If you want to see an AMA pro with a bike leaned way over and quite possibly the worst body position ever performed on a track check this link out. Botom of page http://www.starmotorcycle.com/about.htm

Quantum_Ape

If i was up to handling a 1098R maybe i would want traction control myself :D

As for me, I'm still mastering my little SV650s. Hardly the HP monster that bike is! The GPS track system would be cool. And your right, you wouldn't be able to compare turn for turn on lean angle. Heck I'd be more interested in how smoothly i managed to handle the bike over the course of the track rather than the lean i was getting. It would help you see if your repositioning in turns and how rough you were getting into the turn. I know i need lots of work in the corners myself.

As for that link, I'm no expert. I'm still learning boat loads myself, but that doesn't look like what the CR's at NESBA told me to do ;) And they listed body position right next to the picture too! :dunno:

sasrocks

Originally Posted by BigKid View Post

My point is buy pictures if you want to see yourself leaned over. If you want to see an AMA pro with a bike leaned way over and quite possibly the worst body position ever performed on a track check this link out. Botom of page http://www.starmotorcycle.com/about.htm
Stall;9678 wrote: Oh idk even worse then mine LOL:haha:

off topic, in case you didn't know... JP is a former AMA champion * 2. Finished 5th IIRC in his last AMA Superbike race a couple years ago before 'retiring'. Came back and currently in World Superbike AND World Endurance.

http://www.starmotorcycle.com/jasonpridmore.html

He's got the heart of a champion too. He high sided himself at Barber as few years ago riding for Jordan Suzuki and still riding later that day, complaining of stomach pain. The medical people forced him to go to the hospital, saving his life because he was within an hour or so of dying from bleeding due to a lacerated spleen. Dude has scars all over his body from operations.

Oh and between WSB and WEC he continues to run a well respected school all over the country. One of the most intelligent and thoughtful people you will ever meet. And in his spare time commentates on Speed (Mid Ohio recently).

To take from that entire body of work one picture that we amateur track day schmoes 'think' shows bad form is just a bit hilarious. Sorry bro's, just had to get that off my chest. No ill will intended. Yes I am a JP fan. Now flame away!
:D

Quantum_Ape

sasrocks;9697 wrote: No ill will intended. Yes I am a JP fan. Now flame away!
:D
Hmm is it warming up in here? J/K

Never met the man but from his actions i am sure he is an awesome person. Also, one shot can't define a rider as a whole, for anyone. But thats why i was saying I'm surprised they used that photo. But who am i to judge? The man can probably lean off camber and still kick my but around a track :cool:

BigKid

Tim, I agree, I like him too. My point is lean angle and body position and speed and lots of other things can not be compared by a black box. Jason Pridmore is all of those things you stated and I agree he is a great guy. He does use an old school riding style, Crossed Up, and rides very well doing it. Yes, I am just a track day guy and am envious. I only put up that picture to show fast guys can get away with additional lean angle because they are smooth, have excellent feel for the bike, tires, suspension, etc. A little black box can not analize what is ultimately going on. I do think the body position is poor, dragging toes, head on wrong side of bike, not weighting enough of the inside peg, etc. but he is great and can get away with it. At normal track days this riding position usually ends up in a crash.

riddler

Sorry if this was already stated... long thread but I wanted to throw in my .02

Some Track days have a video service that you can pay to have a guy follow you with a camera on you the whole session. I think it is like $75. Then you get to see your body position, lean angle, speed, lines, throttle and braking technique, etc. All in the real time context of trying to put together a fast smooth lap...

Note: I have never taken advantage of this service... to slow to want to know just yet :D

What I want to know... how fast do you have to be to get hired to follow with a camera! I wonder if the really fast guys ever just lose the camera guy on track?

BigKid

The really fast guys can watch themselves on TV. LOL Everyone has good days and bad. Sure, some days the camera guy may have trouble keeping up with A pace guys. B and I, not likely. There are plenty of guys that are faster than me, wish they would ride slow enough to video me on my good days.

machdw69

looking at your chicken strips may help you figure out lean angle and let you know how much more is left there.

twalker

TwoTyres;1026 wrote:
lean.jpg
Oops, forgot the image...