NESBA - Operation Bone Stock?

YCRS

Great Thread!

The modern bikes are SO good and yep, with a set of race tires, I see no problem qualifying for an AMA national on one. Back when Nick and I rode the Buell 1125Rs at 4 of the AMA tracks, we would have qualified for DSB on the stock tires..

Yep, the bikes are good...rider....rider....rider...rider......

Landshark

Control Rider
DJ, the single biggest issue on my stock R6 was the stock brake pads. I really had some concerns with T-1 deep braking. The bike was so good I just couldn't stop scaring the crap outta myself. :dunno:

bmrboy

My thoughts , Taylor can ride the wheels of a tricycle , have Chuck @ PCW tune suspension , fill the tank , Let him ride !!!!!
Taylor will do his best... and will make us all proud. Mr D.J. you made the right choice ...:first: :D

jimgl3

Mr DJ

if you are wanting to show an average track day junkie that they don't need all that crap, then why not put an average track day junkie out there also? i volunteer! :dunno: :D

Gorecki

YCRS;240603 wrote:
Yep, the bikes are good...rider....rider....rider...rider......
:agree:

Though I'm not all that yet, I BELIEVE THIS and damn it gonna prove it sooner or later!

JVance

No doubt a stock bike is capable of getting on the box in the novice class with a decent trackday rider. Dean Bosch did decent on a stock suspended, stock exhaust, stock motor, pump gas (not 100% sure about the brake lines tho) 636 in 2009. At VIR I think he got down in the 1:37-1:38 range. The new stuff is good! I think race tires would be reasonable though, after all you are racing. That said a friend of mine loves the Q2's and perfers them and has turned better laps on them than the Pirelli trackday slick and GPA's.

John

BrokenSafety

This is cool.

Just based on what I'm hearing so far, I am second guessing my next fork upgrade and tire purchase.

I may not be able to ride as well as Checa or YCS coaches, but I believe I can attain CR/Novice /A rider skills in short order.

Practice what you preach. Good luck guys. I'll be watching and learning.

Stow is right, this would make an awesome video.

Ruhe52

Um what is a stock bike? I have no idea what you are talking about. You mean they make them without Ohlins and Graves bits on them?

speedfree

I rode VIR full course in "A" group October '10 on a bone stock 07 R6 and was very happy with it. I never felt even for a second that I was outclassed or out powered by like bikes around me. If they were outrunning me on the long straights, I worked on getting a better drive & tucking in the draft. The handling of the stock bike was amazing, even spinning up the PRC takeoffs at the end of the day.

I honestly think with even a halfway decent rider it could win Amateur races.

Also had an awesome time with Louie (?) on an R1 demo bike at North course last spring. It was fun, but not as confidence-inspiring as the R6. Wallowy, and a little hard to finish the corners.. but we lapped the entire "I" group in a session, so...

...yeah, I'm using my phone.

BrokenSafety

Hawaiif4i;240719 wrote: Here is a video of James Toseland wrecking house on a 2007 CBR 600rr at a press release day. First time on the bike and the track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DvEgu4ngiY&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL4B686B5158A288A8
Pretty cool and enjoyed the vid, but not what they are trying to demonstrate here.

If this was a video of an average rider on a stock bike then more fitting. But then again, why would anyone video the average "Joe"; except Joe himself ;)

Looking at the original post, this is just "Carlos Checa" DJ mentioned. I want to see guys I know ride it with skills I have or will soon acquire. This seems more meaningful to me.

Are you guys doing this with street tires in novice? What about expert?

speedster_chris

Awesome project. I don't think you'd be totally off starting off with the Q2's. I just used a Q2 rear at the Barber trackday on the new 10R, and I think it'd be great for a 600. I could see it either way.

In the old RRW write-up, they started off with a stock CBR1000RR as someone said, but had to replace the exhaust b/c of a rule against catalytic converters (or something like that). They also ended up replacing the rear shock (with Ohlins, I think) to give Toye more consistency as it heated up, and I believe they just tweaked the forks but kept them stock. Again, he put it on the AMA grid!

Super Streetbike did a write-up once where they put a stock bike on a track with a decently fast rider, took laptimes. Upgraded a single part, took more laptimes. They repeated the process with tires, exhaust, suspension, and I'm not sure what else, but it was a really good read to show what parts make the biggest difference.

Also, Taylor sounds like a good man for the job - he goes really well to be on a stock bike!! Also, he's had a lot of seat time on it, so it would take away the "new-ness" factor. Definitely keep us posted as this progresses!!!

thundertwini

I raced a bone stock 1999 SV in CCS in Arizona from 2000-2001. Stock exhaust and everything. The stock exhaust crashed really really well.

I later won a class championship on that bike with only the basic mods - penske rear shock, gold valves in the forks, M4 exhaust, sharkskinz, woodraft rearsets and clipons. No engine work, ever.

BrianR6

i had an 07r6.. only upgrades were brake lines, brake pads, full exhaust (which made it worse between 6-9k rpm with no power commander).
I could do 37's at VIR north on it.

now i have an 09 R6, put race bodywork, brake lines, brake pads, stock exhaust... first time on the bike was saturday morning practice in april 2010 at Thunderbolt. turned 32's.

New bikes are more than capable to contend in their stock form. I did use supercorsa pros. I think better stopping power and a little better traction is all ya need.

Mikey75702

I had heard a rumor of gerloff hitting a summit round on a bone stock bike and tearing everyone a new one, but wasn't there to see it. I think a few of the cr's would be awesome at this test, and i would love to see the results. I think with limited investment the new bikes can be darn good.

gkotlin

dlockhart5x;240393 wrote: I saw A-fed often blowing past the A group on a bike that still had license plates on it. Give us back a region and come up and play with Allen sometime
This was the first thought I had when I read DJ"s post. AFED rocks the **** out of every stock bike he has :adore:

Mr.DJ

Arrgh, That darn cat is not working well with the bellypan.

Either we find a way to mod it or we straight pipe and keep the can. Removing may compromise the project. Ponder..................

BTW - Taylor in for Novice - Alan F. in for Expert.