Race throttle for a 06 gsxr 600

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Anyone out there, can you provide some inputs on buying a race or after market throttle for a 06 gsxr 600? It currently has a euro on there, which came with the bike and I was wondering if anyone had anything different. Thanks

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
If you want the cheap way out, you can put an R1 throttle tube on there. I forget what years work, but I found the info on gixxer.com

greeny

vinny337;101992 wrote: Anyone out there, can you provide some inputs on buying a race or after market throttle for a 06 gsxr 600? It currently has a euro on there, which came with the bike and I was wondering if anyone had anything different. Thanks
by euro, do you mean euro racing? that's already one of the best aftermarket throttles u can get:

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=E80061

instead of a silver body, yours is probably black, no? if you want a different ratio, you can probably order the cams separately. (if u didn't already have them)

Meat

HondaGalToo;102137 wrote: If you want the cheap way out, you can put an R1 throttle tube on there. I forget what years work, but I found the info on gixxer.com
Just make sure you check to see what diameter of throttle tube (actually the cam at the end) you have and the R1 has.

I saw on the Gixxer site to order a 2004 R1 throttle tube. They are super cheap (like $10) so I ordered one. The 2004 R1 was only 1.5 mm diameter bigger than the one that came stock on my bike, which means my 1/4 turn throttle would still be very close to 1/4 turn.

JRA

The R1 tube is supposed to make it a 1/5th turn and the newer R6 is supposed to make it a 1/6th turn. It seems to me that less turn would require more precise throttle control, something most of us are lacking in in the first place.

The Euro throttle is definitely one of the best you can get, and as mentioned it has at least three different cams that come with it. Since that is what you already have I would try the different cams and see if one of those give you what you are looking for. If you want to go back to some kind of OEM set up or the R1/R6 throttle tube you'll have to reinstall the stock right handlebar switch gear. The Euro throttle requires an aftermarket on/off/start switch set up.

AC1108

I've got an 06 R6 throttle tube that I bought but never used. I did the zip tie method and it worked great. If you are interested in it let me know.

Meat

I actually found a website that I could find out the various throttle tube cam sizes by clicking on the part, but I lost it. If anyone knows of that site please let me know. I should have book marked it.

I think the gixxer throttle tube (not sure of years or models) was around 33mm, my 636 was 35mm, the 2004 R1 was 36.5, and the 2006 R6 is 40.5mm, but that is from memory and notes I have on a post-it on my desk.

I have a Riffleman's 1/5 turn throttle insert ($25 delivered) on its way.

I was going to use the PVC method but the Rifleman insert seemed too easy and I know it fits.

But, if I had the money, I would go for the Yoyodyne (euro) throttle. Supposed to be stupid smooth.

bigkaley

Control Rider
I have an '05 GSXR 1000 (same throttle tube as the 600/750) and first tried the R1 tube. Worked very well with no adjustments other than adjusting throttle cable slack.

I then read/ heard about the '06 and newer R6 throttle tube swap and gave that a try. I like it much better. Yes it's a shorter throw which requires more care with throttle application, but I've also found that I didn't have to "adjust" my throttle hand to get WFO.
There are some adjustments/ modifications you have to make to use the R6 throttle tube in the stock GSXR throttle pod/ housing:

-- using a Dremel or similar, you have to remove/ relieve some of the plastic on the inside of the bottom half of the GSXR throttle pod/ housing

-- also, you'll have to get access to the throttle cables at the throttle bodies. There are 2 jam nuts that lock the throttle cable at the bracket on the throttle bodies. One nut is above and one is below the "ears" of the bracket. You'll have to move the nuts to the bottom of the "ears" and basically allow the throttle cable to have enough "slack" for the extra diameter of the R6 throttle tube.

I know there's some pics/ better description out there on the web, but I can't find them right now.....:dunno:

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
snowbizx;102159 wrote: by euro, do you mean euro racing? that's already one of the best aftermarket throttles u can get:

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=E80061

instead of a silver body, yours is probably black, no? if you want a different ratio, you can probably order the cams separately. (if u didn't already have them)
Yes, it's euro racing...the best works for me. It is black. I'll look into the cams
Snowbizx, Thanks for the info

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
JRA;102191 wrote: The R1 tube is supposed to make it a 1/5th turn and the newer R6 is supposed to make it a 1/6th turn. It seems to me that less turn would require more precise throttle control, something most of us are lacking in in the first place.

The Euro throttle is definitely one of the best you can get, and as mentioned it has at least three different cams that come with it. Since that is what you already have I would try the different cams and see if one of those give you what you are looking for. If you want to go back to some kind of OEM set up or the R1/R6 throttle tube you'll have to reinstall the stock right handlebar switch gear. The Euro throttle requires an aftermarket on/off/start switch set up.
Sounds good...Thanks JRA

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
HondaGalToo;102137 wrote: If you want the cheap way out, you can put an R1 throttle tube on there. I forget what years work, but I found the info on gixxer.com
Thanks for the input HondaGal... I think I'm leaning towards keeping what I have and possibly play with the cams.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Meat;102216 wrote: I actually found a website that I could find out the various throttle tube cam sizes by clicking on the part, but I lost it. If anyone knows of that site please let me know. I should have book marked it.

I think the gixxer throttle tube (not sure of years or models) was around 33mm, my 636 was 35mm, the 2004 R1 was 36.5, and the 2006 R6 is 40.5mm, but that is from memory and notes I have on a post-it on my desk.

I have a Riffleman's 1/5 turn throttle insert ($25 delivered) on its way.

I was going to use the PVC method but the Rifleman insert seemed too easy and I know it fits.

But, if I had the money, I would go for the Yoyodyne (euro) throttle. Supposed to be stupid smooth.
Meat thanks!!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
bigkaley;102237 wrote:
I know there's some pics/ better description out there on the web, but I can't find them right now.....:dunno:
Bigkaley, no problem about the pics, your feedback was good enough...Thanks!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
AC1108;102205 wrote: I've got an 06 R6 throttle tube that I bought but never used. I did the zip tie method and it worked great. If you are interested in it let me know.
Not a problem...Thanks

AC1108

HondaGalToo;102289 wrote: No, not that cheap, LOL. The R1 tube is something like 12 bucks. I wouldn't do that glue thing, but that's just me.
I've done it on every bike I have ever owned with no problems...