Season is approaching - time for maintenance!

Man... felt left out so I had to get mine out of hibernation early for maintenance....

3864888a1314538f5804ff725e620d49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdelegram

Control Rider
Don't forget your tow vehicles either. I went in for an oil change for my 11 super duty and things went wrong, I ended up with this:
image1_zps7yp4slvg.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Tow vehicle pretty much taken care of. Trailer getting close.

However, here is a great demonstration of why to NOT wait before doing your maintenance.

I had finished the R6, and it's sitting ready to load in a couple weeks. Great. The spare bike is done. Now it's time for my primary bike. Besides just cleaning, lube, refresh the rear shock, checking torque on bolts, fluid changes, I needed to replace my clutch cable and replace the front right motor mount bolt. The head of the bolt was slightly damaged, and I felt it was better to replace it while there was more than enough surface to get a tool on it, than damage it just a little more and not be able to remove it. Clutch cable already replaced, things cleaned up, coolant already flushed and filled, went through brakes, safety wire, etc. So, just replace one single bolt. Easy.

Loosened the pinch bolt on the frame (right side GSXR motor mount bolt goes through frame, through steel bushing, into case. Removed bolt. Put a little blue loctite on new bolt, threaded it in, adjusted torque wrench to correct setting as per service manual open to correct page, and set the bolt. Checked service manual on pinch bolt, adjusted torque wrench, started tightening the pinch bolt, and (yeah, you guessed it) SNAP!

So, even though the very good quality, calibrated, torque wrench was set to 16.5 lbs and it never clicked, I was rewarded with.....

GSXR Frame 2.jpeg GSXR Frame 3.jpeg
GSXRframe1.jpeg

Moral of the story? Had I waited much longer, my stress level on trying to get this friggin thing ready for Jennings would be through the roof. Fortunately, thanks to Max, I have a game plan and already have the engine "mostly" ready to come out (rad, airbox, throttle bodies, exhaust, etc all removed) and REALLY thanks to Max, I'll have a replacement frame here tomorrow night!

Did I say thanks, Max?

Attachments

• GSXR Frame 4.jpeg
    GSXR Frame 4.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 30

tdelegram

Control Rider
Bill a dab of JB weld and your back in business! Let me know if you need a hand pulling the motor so you can get that welded. I am no good with aluminum but know a few folks in Bethel Park that might be able to help. Below is the photo I tried posting earlier:

image1_zps7yp4slvg.jpeg

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Tom, Thanks! Hopefully we'll have it handled by tomorrow. Replacement frame will be here tonight, and plan to have bike pretty much reassembled by tomorrow evening. If I run into something crazy, I'll certainly give you a call. I do plan on trying to repair the old frame once it's removed also - giving me a spare. Plus, it's the one with the correct vin plate on it - though there's no way this bike would ever be back on the street.

Nice new toy, there!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Now that's what I call logic. Using a long drive to a winter track event to justify a new truck! Awesome! And that puppy of yours will look right at home in the back seat.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Bill a dab of JB weld and your back in business! Let me know if you need a hand pulling the motor so you can get that welded. I am no good with aluminum but know a few folks in Bethel Park that might be able to help. Below is the photo I tried posting earlier:

image1_zps7yp4slvg.jpeg

You are going to be blown away at how much more stable it'll be towing with training wheels!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
New kit harness installed in R1. Suspension to be installed tomorrow. Tuning at Karn's next week. Can't wait to ride the beast

2blueyam

Well, I am preparing two bikes for the track this year. I am lending my primary track bike (2003 R1) to my friend for a couple days at Summit and I am prepping my street Tuono for me to ride on track. The Tuono got a new Ohlins shock to replace the Sachs. The Ohlins forks have been serviced by RnR cycles, with a discounted winter labor rate. Woodcraft rear sets will be going on to both bikes as my friend rides with GP shift and the R1's current Attack rear sets are std. shift only. New fluids will be going in both bikes of course. I am adding a second TRS in the trailer instead of using a Pingle and tie downs for the 2nd bike and a second set of paddock stand holders mounted on the wall along with a second cord / hose hanger. I still have 2 months before the season which is plenty of time, but I know it will go fast. In case anyone thinks my friend is just mooching, I get to take his coaching GSXR 6 or one of his race SV650s around Blackhawk later this season.

Looking forward to doing more days with N2 / Evolve GT this year as I got tired of that other org eating into my track time with races last year.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Well, Max (lives around DC) was delayed and wasn't able to get here (Pittsburgh area) until last night. I had the bike pretty much ready to swap, with the engine pretty well disconnected - see the pic in my earlier post. Before we really got started, had some hungry people, so I fixed dinner - during which Ron showed up - coincidence? I think not.

We really got started just before 8pm. Used a little hillbilly engineering to speed up the swap of the frame. Never removed the front wheel - and never even took the wheel with forks out of the vice on the lift table. Rear swingarm, wheel, brakes, shock, chain all removed as a unit and set aside. Entire rear subframe assembly with all electronics removed from the frame as a unit, and never disconnected from the forks/handlebar controls. Essentially used a chain hoist and straps to suspend the frame, dropped the engine out of the bottom, removed the swingarm assembly with wheel, etc, unbolted subframe assembly, and lifted the frame straight up, feeding the subframe through the frame with all wiring. Then reverse the process - bike was together, pretty much only needing fuel tank and coolant - by around 11:30pm.

Huge thanks to Max for the frame, the delivery, and the help. And big thanks to Ron for the labor.

Some pics of the Hillbilly's in action....

Frameswap10.jpeg
Frameswap8.jpeg
Frameswap9.jpeg
Frameswap5.jpeg
Frameswap14.jpeg

tdelegram

Control Rider
Bill, seems like you're taking pictures, someone else is drinking and one guy is doing all the work. I really Ike that model unless you're the guy doing all the work!