Speed shifting

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
blueninja1;270817 wrote: Well the most important thing is that the threadstarter has 2 solutions to his problems. The popular choice seems to be to clutchless upshift (which will probably round off the edges of the gears and make the bike more likely to slip out of gear) OR nip that clutch because that is what it is there for.

Let me paint a picture for you. Of some of the stuff I had to endure and where I am coming from. It includes no parroting, but real life experience. Cold hard facts.

I don't share all of this with everybody, mostly keep it to myself. But I have a chance to give you guys a more intimate portrait of who I am.

After an eventful track day season I was thankful of what I learned, and realized that I had so much more to learn. After building myself into debt I trailed back from trackdays to sharpen my skills in the foundation of motorcycling, dirt. It's cheap and you can't get more bang for your buck.

I rented cars until I had literally no more money to get to the motocross track. After the money ran out I waked my ass up at 4:30 am weekly (freezing or blazing hot temps) to get to the motocross track by train and by walking miles and eating one small meal, hitting the mx track for hours and sometimes spending all day doing top end rebuilds/maintenance, etc. on my own bike without any experience whatsoever and with some help from the track owner (very thankful for). I've had some hard luck but made the best with what I have.

I don't appreciate people taking my hard-earned experience and taking it for granted. I am no motogp champion but I have the drive and ambition of any of them. I don't have the seat time of you or Emerson, or the CR's of yet, but trust me when I do get that seat time I will be as fast as anybody. I don't spend my time to write in these threads to show off myself. I do it because I care about the safety and performance of myself and the other riders. Offering what little I know to make the track a safer and more enjoyable experience for everyone, including myself.

My talking will be on the track from now on. I'll see you guys there.
All this and you still couldn't google "Motorcycle seat foam pad" for yourself to find what you needed.

Glad you're going to do your talking on the track..you'll have a helmet on and nobody will have to hear your probably well intended, but bad advise....some of the best times with my ex-wife were when I taught here to ride a motorcycle..between the ear plugs, the engine noise and the helmets barring communication, we never got along better.

blueninja1

Oh, I do know how to google. I am just thorough in my investigation and will not settle for something that says 07/08 and is supposedly generic. Actually spent a few days researching the issue. Who knew that an HT Moto Moriwaki pre-cut seat may actually be the best fit for my sbk race tail (go figure). But it's good to know that you keep falsely assuming random shit about me.

No comment on the personal stuff you wrote. That is between you and your ex-wife.

fitz

$70 a month for high speed internet, $1000+ for a decent PC, reading threads like this....priceless. :)

GriffinD

D-Zum;270837 wrote: some of the best times with my ex-wife were when I taught here to ride a motorcycle..between the ear plugs, the engine noise and the helmets barring communication, we never got along better.
Quote of the thread. Thanks for the chuckle D-Zum. :cheers: :D

D-Zum

Yeah...she wanted to get Helmet to Helmet radios....and I said, "OH HELL NO!"

bboynicku

Highboro;270797 wrote: I went to my first track day of the year at Summit Point yesterday and I was having an issue shifting. I have a 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 and periodically it would not advance to the next gear when speed shifting (standard shift without quick shifter). I would get the revs up to approximately 15,000rpm, barely let off the gas, then hit the shift lever and the transmission would not advance to the next gear. Has anyone ever had this problem or know why I am having this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Dustin
were you putting pressure on the shift lever with your foot before letting of the throttle? You need to or it wont fall into the next gear.

it sounds like this is what you were doing....
1. get to 15k rpm
2. roll off throttle slightly
3. click shift lever up to shift to next gear

am i correct in assuming that's what you're doing? if so, this is what you should be doing if shifting at that same rpm...

1. get to 15k rpm
2. apply pressure to shift lever with foot (up or down depending what shift pattern you have it setup for standard or gp shift)
3. roll OFF throttle slightly (now because of the pressure on the shift lever, it will just click into the next gear)
4. roll ON throttle

D-Zum

bboynicku;270875 wrote:
1. get to 15k rpm
2. apply pressure to shift lever with foot (up or down depending what shift pattern you have it setup for standard or gp shift)
3. roll OFF throttle slightly (now because of the pressure on the shift lever, it will just click into the next gear)
4. roll ON throttle
Correct

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
fitz;270843 wrote: $70 a month for high speed internet, $1000+ for a decent PC, reading threads like this....priceless. :)
I'm just waiting for the email from NESBA saying they've re-opened the mid west and blue ninja is going to be the director.

By rented car, rented truck, hitch hiking, or hopping on a train, he will find a way to commute from his house to the mid west events. At least he will be comfortable during the commute since he found a seat pad for his bike.

D-Zum

Otto Man;270900 wrote: I'm just waiting for the email from NESBA saying they've re-opened the mid west and blue ninja is going to be the director.

By rented car, rented truck, hitch hiking, or hopping on a train, he will find a way to commute from his house to the mid west events. At least he will be comfortable during the commute since he found a seat pad for his bike.
That's HILARIOUS!!!!!

Taylorr6

Man, I'm w/ Fitz. Don't stop posting. This s!&t is great. Hee hee. :) no lie this just made my day. Thank's you guy's rock.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Ever notice that those who know the least have the most to say?

And I have the Gary Semics DVDs too. His methods are antiquated and for two-stroke MX bikes.

stkr

Otto Man;270900 wrote: I'm just waiting for the email from NESBA saying they've re-opened the mid west and blue ninja is going to be the director.
Hey, at least the region would be open again. We can sort the rest out later.
LMAO!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VState60

blueninja1;270803 wrote: There is no such thing as speedshifting with standard shift (without a quickshifter). You have to let off the throttle momentarily to take the load off of the clutch in order to shift up smoothly and without resistance. If you force it in you are only going to wreck your clutch very quickly. It may also be that your timing is slightly off and you are easing back onto the throttle while attempting to shift up. Just slow it down a little bit and get the timing right, and remember to let off that throttle in between. Also make sure that you are pulling that clutch in fully and continue to have it pulled in while you shift. With practice you can narrow the time frame in between shifts as your clutch hand, throttle hand, and foot times the sequence of events just right. Your foot may have to get accustom to the upshift action, getting a comfortable position on the peg to flick up, and coordinating with your clutch and throttle hand. I use standard shift and it takes a bit of practice to get it perfect each time and even when you do get a bit of seat time you may miss a gear up every once in a while due to the play in the shift lever or other factors (oil viscosity may not be optimal, leading to notchy shifting). It's just one of those things that takes practice.

Also make sure that your clutch is functioning correctly. While at a dead stop and on a flat surface put the bike in first gear (no brake, just holding the clutch in). If the bike creeps forward you may have to adjust the clutch cable tension slack. The clutch is not fully disengaging and this can explain why the bike won't shift smoothly. What weight oil do you use?

Also, depending on your rearset/gearshift link setup you may be able to adjust the distance from the shift lever to the peg to get a better ergonomic feel for the upshift.
You are so far off it is seriously baffling. After reading your slew of uninformed responses on this subject I can conclude that you have literally never piloted a motorcycle on a race track before. Or, if there is sufficient proof that you have, it's clear you did so with zero basic knowledge of what you were doing and just said 'eff it, I'm gonna fly by the seat of my pants and if I only crash once a session, I'll consider myself an expert on the subject of track riding and start dishing out my newfound *knowledge to those who unwillingly don't know any better in an attempt to raise the view of my riding by others to where my ego currently believes it is'.

Am I dead-on here?

D-Zum

VState60;273082 wrote: You are so far off it is seriously baffling. After reading your slew of uninformed responses on this subject I can conclude that you have literally never piloted a motorcycle on a race track before. Or, if there is sufficient proof that you have, it's clear you did so with zero basic knowledge of what you were doing and just said 'eff it, I'm gonna fly by the seat of my pants and if I only crash once a session, I'll consider myself an expert on the subject of track riding and start dishing out my newfound *knowledge to those who unwillingly don't know any better in an attempt to raise the view of my riding by others to where my ego currently believes it is'.

Am I dead-on here?
Like a sniper.

Meat

I just don't understand this crap blueninja spews. He doesn't know jack shit about motorcycles but he also lacks the common logic to figure out when his stupid ideas are totally illogical.

The original poster comes on here asking for advice and blueninja spews his crap. So now the OP isn't quite sure what to think.

VState60

dj life;273162 wrote: I think Emerson cleared that up pretty quick! LOL!!!
Yeah but people new to track riding, or just riding in general are going to read his info and rationalize it in their head. If swayed by posts like Emerson's, they'll be turned right back into believing BN because of how vehemently he fights for his bizarrely incorrect 'cold hard facts', reading a respected person's name in the convo (taken as far out of context as is possible), and by just how generally scary he made it sound. "Kicking up a year without the clutch will blow your motor the first time! Downshifting without the clutch, however, is a fantastic idea". Who teaches him the polar opposite of the truth like this? I imagine his mentor is watching this thread unfold right now and chuckling while petting a cat in his lap.

And if I read 'just nip that clutch' one more fucking time I may lose my shit.