The Bike has been Trackwrapped!

nrcooled

Myself and a few friends got together to wrap my bike up nice and tight. The vinyl showed up and I was really impressed with the quality. Not too thick so it was stretchable without using a ton of heat and not too thin so anytime you put heat on it it would rip/tear/melt away.

This is quality stuff for a damn cheap price!

What is the highest price for this? Your time. To do a good job it took us rookies about 10hrs total. Minus smoke breaks we could have shaved about 2 hours but then we would have been really cranky :)

We did it over two days in a very well heated garage so the vinyl was pretty easy to work with. Alright enough of the jibba jabba! On with the pictures

These are the before shots of the bike

nrcooled

Even more pics

Please excuse how dirty my bike is. The plastics were cleaned up A LOT before application of the vinyl but the rest of the bike looks like doo-doo.

Finished product:

nrcooled

NoBull;37156 wrote: Bike looks good, but DAMN 10 hours???
I would qualify it and say that we were rookies but since most people doing this are rookies then I think that it's a fair timeline.

While we were looking at it you can save a ton of time by doing a base coat of the color that you want and use the vinyl as accents in certain areas. I went full bore and pretty much wrapped the entire bike :D :wow::doh:

rk97

looks good - you need to update your signature ("Silver/Black GSX-R 750" no more!)

Was that 2 sheets total?

nrcooled

I bought 3 sheets and used 2 1/2. We were thinking about doing the tank but I figured if I ever put the street plastics back on to get a weekend ride then it would look completely stupid.

So, the moral of the story is that 3 sheets will do an entire bike (upper, lower, tail, tank) if you are careful.

nrcooled

I would assume as difficult as it was to do the front fairing. I looks flat but there is nothing but curves :sheesh:

I've got a half sheet of CF left so I'm going to play around and see what I can come up with.

Katie785

Looks great, thanks for posting up.. I think alot of people were wondering how difficult it really is to install. It's not bad at all and gives you an excuse to be in the garage during the winter!

I have to say, just seeing you guys all around the bike and so involved made me giggle here at work - too cute!

nrcooled

Katie785;37175 wrote: Looks great, thanks for posting up.. I think alot of people were wondering how difficult it really is to install. It's not bad at all and gives you an excuse to be in the garage during the winter!

I have to say, just seeing you guys all around the bike and so involved made me giggle here at work - too cute!
We may look like we're working hard but I know for a fact that there was a lot of BS'ing and trash talk about the upcoming season :)

One of the comments was "Man you bike will look real nice in last place" and another of "with the new design I'll be able to spot you way behind me"

:lol:

nrcooled

When we were putting everything together I invoked the 10/100 rule. The bike has to look good from 10 feet away and at 100mph.

So, I guess as long as I'm hauling ass and pulling away then my bike will ALWAYS look good :D

RyanITV

Admin
Nice! I've found that a torch saves TONS of time when working with the material. You can see it in the videos on the TrackWraps Facebook page - by hitting the stuff with a torch, you can get it to temp almost instantly. It's an incremental savings over using a heat gun - especially when wrapping a full bike.

It comes down to practice - the first time I did a GSXR tank, it took 1.5 hours... the second time was 45 minutes... last time it took 20. It's really getting a feel for how the material stretches and what you need to do to get it to lay right.

Looks good though, can't wait to check it out in person!

Ryan