Thinking of racing next year...

Todd Stinson

In regards to how racing effects your trackdays, for me it was similar to how doing trackdays changes your street riding. After racing, I just don't see the point of pushing myself at a trackday to the point of possibly crashing. It doesn't make me enjoy it less per se, it just makes it seem silly to ride that hard if I'm not racing.

After my first trackday, it seemed silly (and very stupid) to push it at all on the street.

dale.b

Chris, I use trackdays now for plain old fun, and as a way to improve my racing. When racing, I basically use "what I got". There isn't much opportunity to work on improving my riding. It is GO time! I use the tools I already have and use them to their limits. Trackdays are the time to get new tools, or refine existing tools.

Racing and trackdays will always be a part of my activities, but I have different mind sets for each. Trackdays are for good times with friends, and helping others - and a little bit of friendly competition. Racing is still for good times with friends, but there is a much more competitive, serious aspect to all of it. A killer instinct.

There is a good amount of pressure I place on myself to race well. That level of pressure doesn't exist for me in trackdays.

But I do agree with Todd and Katie on this one. It does change your outlook. The question is really a personal question about what motivates you to ride. Competition, improvement, fun, all the above?

Jiggy

Control Rider
Trackdays build up your tolerance for racing's frequent uncontrollable chaotic moments.

I have more fun at a trackday, but feel more satisfied after a race weekend. Both are worth every penny.

See you on the grid next year. :eek:uttahere:

PJZOCC624

Thanks everyone for the input! My initial motivation to race was to see where I "stack up" against other riders, and to see where all the time and effort I've put into improving my riding has taken me. Yes, I am a bit of a competitive person (much more so 5, 10 years ago), and I want to see how it translates in a race situation. I feel like I am comfortable enough with my riding ability to do this, though, yes Katie, I would prefer to be in "A". Maybe this will be my motivation to "up my game" a bit and work towards the black sticker. What I anticipate happening is a 75:25 ratio of track days:racing, utilizing what I've learned and worked on with NESBA and applying it to a racing situation.

Katie785

Yep - exactly PJ.. i've ridden with you and I can say that you'll be fine out there.. smooth, consistent, level-headed (which may change in the environment lol)... You never know.. maybe you will find some hidden speed (well, you will do that for sure, but i'm talking more than average).

There are TONS of Nesba Members and CRs out there doing this now so you certainly won't be alone - make sure you do hook up with some of us to pit with. The first morning can be a bit hectic with learning how to do everything including filling out what forms and going where and what you need to bring to tech etc...

Can't wait til VIR in March!!!!

Jiggy

Control Rider
Bluenvy;96764 wrote: just got for it, you wont regret it
PJ,

please use Justin as a prime example of the bare minimum talent needed to start racing. This kid gets confused mowing his own lawn and failed his 3rd grade proficiency test....twice. But somehow he manages to register for races on the weekend.

You are going to have a lot more questions as March approaches, especially tech/wiring related. Feel free to hound us with questions. The info i received from my fellow Nesbian racers when I started was priceless.

Bluenvy

Jiggy;96783 wrote: failed his 3rd grade proficiency test....twice. But somehow he manages to register for races on the weekend.
thank god we collaberated on the 3rd one or i might have failed 3 times...whew, close one...

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
It is fun to see all the NESBA stickers on bikes at the races............. especially when they are in the front of the post race tech line!!!

Jiggy

Control Rider
Bluenvy;96786 wrote: thank god we collaberated on the 3rd one or i might have failed 3 times...whew, close one...
"collaborated"...... I know we went over spelling in the exam review. :poorguy:

quit thread jacking ninny.

slowpoke

great info on here!

got another question--- CCS vs WERA?

The most attractive thing to me about CCS is the NJMP dates which cut down on travel and I really like both tracks. The only other benefit to CCS is I don't see as many ringers over there (hmmm hmmmJiggy hmmm)

Jiggy

Control Rider
Chris,

I actually did both organizations this year but want to focus on one or the other for next year. I honestly havent decided yet. I'd suggest doing both if you can afford it. You get a bit of both flavors and you save on the gas/mileage when one org is down at VIR/CMP when the other is closer to home like NJMP. With you being in Philly, 4 rounds at NJMP would be nice. But then there is always Justin's "Special Olympics" view of CCS:

Bluenvy;73574 wrote: he got it(my first podium) in a CCS race that i wasnt in. thats like placing at the special olympics
Each org has its gorillas, use your first races or whole season as a learning experience, not learning to ride but learning to perform. Consider the pros/cons of both.....entry fees/schedule/tech requirements/contingency payouts. As noted before, CCS doesnt require you purchase a personal transponder, WERA has a little stricter tech (good thing), CCS races in NJMP but not at BEAV, CCS doesnt require a steering dampner....blah blah blah. Pick one or both. You wont be dissappointed.