Thinking of racing next year...

dale.b

My first day in WERA there were a couple oil line bolts on the R6 that I did not wire, but was supposed to. I was told by the tech inspector to put rtv around it for the day, but have it wired the next weekend.

Was pretty simple.

My nerves were pretty shot the first time out. I didn't care about how well I placed, I just wanted to finish. It is one of the best stressful times I can remember. There aren't that many of them. Soak it in. :)

PJZOCC624

Meat;97429 wrote: One thing that worries me as well is the tech inspection and not really knowing exactly what will pass. It seems like the rulebooks, as far as tech goes, just don't define things well or they obviously don't adhear to the rulebook letter by letter (like the 8 inch number height in CCS).

I don't want to look like a moron and be rejected at tech.
:agree: Exactly!!! What's stupid is, as I've been considering this whole thing, my biggest "fear" is NOT PASSING TECH... not crashing, not losing, but tech. My problem is I'm not much of a wrencher, and worry that something's gonna break or something needs to be corrected, and what would be an easy quick-fix for someone else turns into a 2 hour project for the stunod that I am. Now, obviously, I've got a shop where I have the bike worked on, and other Nesbians around town whom I could ask for help getting setup before I leave for the track. Its that fear of the "mechanical unknown" that gives me agita.

liteitup

Ive been thinking of racing as well. Money is one issue. The other is my bike. Any class that I could be competitive in with my 954? I would think Id be racing new liter bikes and thats not gonna work....

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I was competitive on a 600 against liter bikes. Sure you'll lose the drag race done the straight but if you can get through the corners faster than you can still do well

Trent1098S

Can't speak for the 954 cause I've never ridden one, but how a bike does on a track depends a lot on the track, too. Literbikes and 600's are REAL close on lap times at Blackhawk, which is tight & technical and has a short straight. If you can't open up the literbikes the extra HP doesn't matter as much, and the weight puts you at a disadvantage. Can't put max horsepower to the ground until you're up. Tires only have so much traction to give, so 600's can win the launch out of corners in addition to carrying more speed thru turns. They can also get away with shutting down and braking later.

Mostly though, it's all about the rider and not the bike. There's plenty of CR's and advanced riders that can still kick my ass on SV's!!!

NickMcCoy

PJZOCC17;97573 wrote: :agree: Exactly!!! What's stupid is, as I've been considering this whole thing, my biggest "fear" is NOT PASSING TECH... not crashing, not losing, but tech. My problem is I'm not much of a wrencher, and worry that something's gonna break or something needs to be corrected, and what would be an easy quick-fix for someone else turns into a 2 hour project for the stunod that I am. Now, obviously, I've got a shop where I have the bike worked on, and other Nesbians around town whom I could ask for help getting setup before I leave for the track. Its that fear of the "mechanical unknown" that gives me agita.
This is all stuff you'll learn at the track. I had no idea what I was doing mechanically with my bike when I started racing but there always seems to be fellow racers to help you out. Once you get the basics down, it's easy. The main thing is learning to change wheels quickly because you'll be doing that alot, and safety wiring.

All tech cares about is that your stuff is wired, that your controls are tight, your throttle shuts off, and your bellypan is legal. If anything is wrong they'll point it out and you can go fix it and come back. If you're racing CCS, they don't require much wiring but I would suggest getting a WERA rulebook and wiring everything they tell you because it's much safer that way. Then once your bolts are drilled, you just have to wire them after you have them out for any reason.

And the 954 is definitely not the bike to race on, it's never really been used by racers so the parts aren't there and the performance is lacking compared to the newer liter bikes. Look for a set-up SV or 600 race bike, you'll be much happier.

Andrei

and you have to be done before 8am, which is your typical cold foggy morning .... brrrr :doh:

greeny

i've yet to make the first practice session. knowing how i am in the morning, i haven't even tried :eek:

greeny

neh, i wouldn't be making changes to my bike at 8am on a dew-covered track in 25* cooler temps than race time and 5-7 seconds off pace.

crewnutz

snowbizx;98080 wrote: neh, i wouldn't be making changes to my bike at 8am on a dew-covered track in 25* cooler temps than race time and 5-7 seconds off pace.
:agree:

I usually use first practice to just get warmed up and used to riding...
Even then I've found that if I'm on a bike that already has a great baseline setting. That setting will work good at damn near any track. I see so many people tinkering with their suspension way more than they need to.
If your bike has a good baseline then unless you're getting close (and I mean close) to top expert lap times, then you really shouldn't have to touch much on your bike
The only thing I can usually tell for sure on the first session is what range of gearing I need....

crewnutz

Katie785;98084 wrote: u can try riding my bike Brandon. As it was last year. You'll tinker. Trust me.. you'll tinker. haha
My comment wasn't really directed at you, just saying in general....anyways, you missed where I said "a bike with an already good baseline setting". ;)
I wouldve ridden your bike but you never offered, haha

greeny

maybe it's bc u kept screwing up the bike when u were adjusting it for a cold track :haha: :eek:uttahere:

crewnutz

Andrei;98098 wrote: Lets talk about how much practice time do real racers actually need ... :popcorn: :D
I've heard CCS racers need 1-3 days of practice at least...WERA racers usually need about half a lap

;)

Jiggy

Control Rider
crewnutz;98102 wrote: I've heard CCS racers need 1-3 days of practice at least...WERA racers usually need about half a lap

;)
OOOOOHHHHHHH SNAP!!!!! Was that just said!? Did....that....just.....happen!? Shake....and.....Bake........shakeandbake!!!!

Jiggy

Control Rider
Bluenvy;98108 wrote: LOL
bravo :congrats:
You can only comment in this thread if you have completed 3 Full laps in a race without wrecking or getting ass packed. :shutit: