Tire Warmers

bcrunk11

I just got my first set of tire warmers and im wondering what temp settings you guys/gals use and what variables you consider when setting temp. BTW, if it matters im running 209 GPA's. Thx ahead of time!

liteitup

Well I just got some Suzukas which have 2 temp settings. I use low (135F) until about 10 minutes to go out then turn it on high (175F.) Im new to the warmer scene too. I bought some Power Ones and used them with the warmers and they worked great.

For others, do you usually turn them off at lunch time or just on the low setting?

stkr

From what I've been told...

Turn them on LOW during lunch, and then up on HIGH about 30 minutes prior to use. I have a set of dual temp Suzukas, and they have a thermostat that will cycle them to maintain temperature. During the day, I just set mine to high, and let them soak between sessions.

jas0336

I run standard Chicken Hawks which I believe are 175 deg F. I also run 209-GPAs which are supposed to run 22/33 hot. Well at full temp on the warmers after soaking about an hour, my pressure was 21/30ish...
I crashed on a particularly fast lap and after the crash truck got my bike back to the pits my pressure was around 27/35 or thereabout. Thats a good 10 minutes or so after resting in the grass. So, the lesson is, make sure you check/adjust pressure as soon as you finish your fastest lap. Then I would compare that to the pressure after soaking an hour on each setting. I'd check on low first, then med & then high. This is just what I plan on doing.
I don't know that you want them cooking on high the whole time. Maybe a lower setting between sessions just to reduce cycles.

snikwad

^ what he said, you should be checkin gtire pressure between sessions. constantly, because as you start to feel like yeah, the tires are nice and warm, you push em harder, and that gives even more heat and there goes another psi added.

Meat

I have the Chickenhawks that have 3 settings (pole position?). I put them on medium about 45 minutes before the first session of the weekend. We have a yellow flag lap for the first lap and then takes a couple more laps to get up to more speed.

I run them on hot the rest of the day until lunch, where I put them back on medium. Back on high 30-45 minutes before my session.

One reason to turn your warmers up to high 45 minutes before your session is to not only get your the contact area hot, but also the carcass. It allows the carcass to flex the way it was designed to at temperature. If you only crank up the heat 10 minutes before you go out, you are not warming the carcass. Your tires are a part of your bike's suspension.

sobottka

Meat;77386 wrote: I have the Chickenhawks that have 3 settings (pole position?). I put them on medium about 45 minutes before the first session of the weekend. We have a yellow flag lap for the first lap and then takes a couple more laps to get up to more speed.
why would you not want your tires hot for your first session? :notsure:

Meat

sobottka;77397 wrote: why would you not want your tires hot for your first session? :notsure:
Because if I am riding too slowly on the yellow flag lap, I am cooling the tires. It also takes a few laps on the first session of the first day to get up to speed. So, as I am speeding up, my tires are warming up. As opposed to going out with them at 180-185 degrees, sitting on the grid while they cool, roll slowly around the track on the yellow flag lap (which I like that nesba does) and then continue cooling them until I finally get up to speed.

sobottka

Meat;77426 wrote: Because if I am riding too slowly on the yellow flag lap, I am cooling the tires. It also takes a few laps on the first session of the first day to get up to speed. So, as I am speeding up, my tires are warming up. As opposed to going out with them at 180-185 degrees, sitting on the grid while they cool, roll slowly around the track on the yellow flag lap (which I like that nesba does) and then continue cooling them until I finally get up to speed.
not too smart but do as you please

Meat

sobottka;77443 wrote: not too smart but do as you please
?????? How is avoiding a heat cycle not too smart? In I-group people aren't rolling too fast in the first session. Most people are just coming up to speed toward the end of the session.

So, rolling out onto the grid at 180 degrees and then cooling them over the next 3 minutes on the grid and then the first few laps is somehow better? Explain.

vanbreezy

Meat;77453 wrote: ?????? How is avoiding a heat cycle not too smart? In I-group people aren't rolling too fast in the first session. Most people are just coming up to speed toward the end of the session.

So, rolling out onto the grid at 180 degrees and then cooling them over the next 3 minutes on the grid and then the first few laps is somehow better? Explain.
I have the dual temp suzuka's myself. I Like the 2 yellow laps myself just to adjust to being back on the track but it does allow the tires too cool off.

Meat

vanbreezy;77456 wrote: I have the dual temp suzuka's myself. I Like the 2 yellow laps myself just to adjust to being back on the track but it does allow the tires too cool off.
I am not sure how fast tires cool off, but it would seem like the pavement could suck the heat out of them reasonably quick in the morning since the track would just act as a heat sink because the tire is constantly touching a cool surface (as opposed to warming up a section of track).

Another reason I think they cool quickly is that from reading, I have noticed that surface pyrometers are not very useful in telling the actual temp of the tire as the surface cools quickly. That is why a probe is used to tell tire temps.

Fastguy

For track days, do you really need slicks/tire warmers to advance to the A group?

I understand that I won't be able to go out on my first lap and rip off a track record but are they really necessary?

What's the advantage of slicks/tire warmers vs. say Dunlop Qualifiers?

Do slicks offer that much more grip for the additional expense?

Would they help me to go faster?

Please help me to understand

Meat

sobottka;77454 wrote: cause you're not avoiding a heat cycle and going out on tires not up to temp.
Surely you can give more information than that. I do not claim to know tons about motorcycles, nor am I an expert in polymers or heat transfer, but since I gave the logic behind my decision, that would normally dictate your logic in your rebuttal.

How is it not avoiding a heat cycle?

How much will the tires cool in 3 minutes on grid plus 3 slow laps (assuming 70 degrees F and 2.5 mile track)?

At what temp does a tire (say the Dunlop Ntec slick) have to heat to and then cool to in order to have a heat cycle?

Meat

Fastguy;77472 wrote: For track days, do you really need slicks/tire warmers to advance to the A group?

I understand that I won't be able to go out on my first lap and rip off a track record but are they really necessary?

What's the advantage of slicks/tire warmers vs. say Dunlop Qualifiers?

Do slicks offer that much more grip for the additional expense?

Would they help me to go faster?

Please help me to understand
I personally like the slicks for the feel they give. I am probably not pushing the traction limit most of the time, but I can really feel what is going on when I am on a slick versus a DOT tire. BTW: I am on AMA GPA take-offs right now because I cannot afford slicks at this time, I usually run the Dunlop slicks when I can afford them.