To BAIL or NOT TO BAIL, and is there a best method?

CaseyAlbert

During the ”KINK” incident day at PittRace several weeks ago, we began discussing semi-controlled EXIT strategies in more detail.
Always look where you want the bike to go.
If you have time, front brake, downshift, rear brake.
If you exit at high speed(which varies depending on the barriers ahead), rear brake ONLY. Steer the bike if you can.

If still heading towards a barrier at high speed, WHAT NOW?

If you don’t bail, it’s not going to end well. If you do bail, it’s likely not going to end well. You can’t wait till it’s hapenning, you must think about this every morning.

Is there a “best” strategy?

MK3Brent

Treebeard
In my experience, if I’m fortunate enough to process that there’s no way I’m keeping this thing on the track; I commit by standing the bike up while still on asphalt and try to scrub as much speed as I can on the brakes. Once I’m in the grass (if it’s dry) I’ll still use a little front but mostly rear while I’m scanning for the safest place in the run off.

I haven’t yet been in that awful situation where a hard barrier was coming up, but if I were… I’d most likely lock the rear and attempt to low side the bike while getting away from it. Id also really hope my airbag goes off. That’s what I would hope, but we all know the reality might be a whole lot worse.

Tell you this much, there isn’t a time now where I go around T8 at CMP when I don’t think about Ron.

CaseyAlbert

In my experience, if I’m fortunate enough to process that there’s no way I’m keeping this thing on the track; I commit by standing the bike up while still on asphalt and try to scrub as much speed as I can on the brakes. Once I’m in the grass (if it’s dry) I’ll still use a little front but mostly rear while I’m scanning for the safest place in the run off.

I haven’t yet been in that awful situation where a hard barrier was coming up, but if I were… I’d most likely lock the rear and attempt to low side the bike while getting away from it. Id also really hope my airbag goes off. That’s what I would hope, but we all know the reality might be a whole lot worse.

Tell you this much, there isn’t a time now where I go around T8 at CMP when I don’t think about Ron.
I feel your pain MK3.... Actually, my son that got me into Track Days thinks about my second track day ever as he was behind me at Barber going up the hill into turn 13.... I touched the damp curbing and high sided... He said I went 20 feet into the air.. 16 months out of work.....
I got back on the horse, and I too think about some of the recent incidents, even those I didn't see. I try to minimize risk while at the same time improve my riding.
It is a dangerous sport, but as my son relayed my response when the ER nurse asked if I was ever going to ride a motorcycle again, "Of course, it's just sooo much FUN!"

tdelegram

Control Rider
If you have to get off the bike instead of hitting a barrier grad the front brake. You will tuck the front end and be off the bike.

meanstrk

Control Rider

You are one of the few that have seen what I am dealing with first hand. I HIGHLY recommend just making the corner!