total horse sh*t

arhale09

Aug 25, 2008
I should have made my sarcasm a bit more obvious. I have heard the south is fast, but it's usually southern riders saying it. Everybody thinks their region is fast, everybody likes their org best, everybody makes mistakes, nesba cr's included. To be honest, the thing that struck me most about the video wasn't the a$$packing, but that, "He must be an interesting guy to have his two nicknames be Toejam and Chaos."

Moto_joe

Aug 6, 2009
arhale09;75258 wrote: I should have made my sarcasm a bit more obvious. I have heard the south is fast, but it's usually southern riders saying it. Everybody thinks their region is fast, everybody likes their org best, everybody makes mistakes, nesba cr's included. To be honest, the thing that struck me most about the video wasn't the a$$packing, but that, "He must be an interesting guy to have his two nicknames be Toejam and Chaos."

LOL. Chaos is his usual name he uses. We changed his name to Toejam on Gixxer.com as a joke. I cant remember why though :D

ZLTFUL

Jun 12, 2009
It's the damned Gixxer sttitude (damned Freudian slip!) attitude I tell ya! Fuckin' Gixxer snobs!

:D

stkr

Jul 17, 2008
HEY! Welcome to the NESBA boards Joe :cheers:

I watched your video a few days ago, but didn't feel like commenting at the time. The thread was already headed downhill. Glad to see you come on and give us your side.

If it were me, I probably would have hit him too. Even using periferial vision as you focusing on the track, the reaction time of your brain realizing the speed differential is just too long for how fast the closing speed was.
You bringing Dilly over here too? :saythat: :p

Moto_joe

Aug 6, 2009
stkr;75299 wrote: HEY! Welcome to the NESBA boards Joe
I watched your video a few days ago, but didn't feel like commenting at the time. The thread was already headed downhill. Glad to see you come on and give us your side.

If it were me, I probably would have hit him too. Even using periferial vision as you focusing on the track, the reaction time of your brain realizing the speed differential is just too long for how fast the closing speed was.
You bringing Dilly over here too? :saythat: :p

Thanks for the welcome.

And thanks for viewing with a bit of an open mind.

I was not looking at EITHER bike in front of me directly at that moment. I was looking "through" them as you should be, and actually to the inside of both I would guess. That combined with the RAPID decel of him, and the time it takes to recognize, decide, and react.... BAM.... too late. Chris was probably looking at the bike in front of him as he had "point" per se as far as picking up someone first, then I would continue on till I found one.

It really was a pretty minor event. It was a slight glancing blow. Not evne hard contact. My upper was all that was damaged, and barely at that. It was almost simply a near miss... and all of this could have been avoided.

But it was not.

And I doubt Dilly will show up here. This is a limited appearance :cool:. I have to many other forums I am on already :confused:

Moto_joe

Aug 6, 2009
Trent1098S;75431 wrote: Hey don't be bashing Ducatisti. Our bikes are waaay prettier than yours.

cant argue that. And a lot of the track guys are cool. It is the ones you run into mostly at the Ducati bike nights, or the AMA hospitality tent etc. Every ama I have ever been to the Ducati tent was on the opposite end of the track from everyone else......... why? They are not THAT nice, and they are not THAT elite :dunno:

Trent1098S

Aug 26, 2008
Moto_joe;75434 wrote: cant argue that. And a lot of the track guys are cool. It is the ones you run into mostly at the Ducati bike nights, or the AMA hospitality tent etc. Every ama I have ever been to the Ducati tent was on the opposite end of the track from everyone else......... why? They are not THAT nice, and they are not THAT elite :dunno:
Heh they probably got the low rent paddock spot because everyone riding them is broke after getting them. :)

If I could go back and do it all over again.. I could have four track prepped 600's for the price of my one 1098S.

Oh well.

PS Nice to meet you, sorry that your intro to the board was sorta rough. I didn't see any point of escape on that video. If you hadn't moved when you did it would have been a nasty one. You've got pretty fast reflexes.

Anyway .. that's my .02

Moto_joe

Aug 6, 2009
Trent1098S;75493 wrote:
PS Nice to meet you, sorry that your intro to the board was sorta rough. I didn't see any point of escape on that video. If you hadn't moved when you did it would have been a nasty one. You've got pretty fast reflexes.

Anyway .. that's my .02
Thanks. I feel that way too.
And thanks for the welcome
I didnt notice it actually until when I was loading up to go to Nashville this weekend. There are tire marks WAY up where the "R" is on a GSXR on my left fairing..... where I was still leaned over some when we made contact. Like I said, it was a glancing blow LUCKILY.

Moto_joe

Aug 6, 2009
phoenix;75463 wrote: :notsure:

Any org, or even open trackday I have ever ridden with/for Intermediate has the widest range of riders talent wise. So there are almost always some darn sketchy situations that happen in Int. Riders significantly faster, almost ready for advanced maybe.. with riders straight out of Novice. Neither of which is really ready for "racing" per se, but some of them think they are.

Not to say all riders in Int are sketchy. Just as a whole the group is scary to ride in for me with any org.

Trent1098S

Aug 26, 2008
Moto_joe;75518 wrote: Any org, or even open trackday I have ever ridden with/for Intermediate has the widest range of riders talent wise. So there are almost always some darn sketchy situations that happen in Int. Riders significantly faster, almost ready for advanced maybe.. with riders straight out of Novice. Neither of which is really ready for "racing" per se, but some of them think they are.

Not to say all riders in Int are sketchy. Just as a whole the group is scary to ride in for me with any org.
I dunno. I think this will be a debate that outlasts all of us. :)

B group has some huge discrepancies in speed.. you've got freaked out first timers choking traffic, looking back, running off, etc.. then you've got guys itching to pass everything in sight to prove something but who don't quite have the lines down yet, which makes it unpredictable.

I group is a lot more predictable. There tends to be not quite as much of a speed difference between people (closing speed). But on the other hand you've now got people pushing (and quite often finding) their limits.

A group I can't comment on.. not there yet. But.. speeds are WAY up and any offs are going to be comparably worse.

As far as I'm aware, and certainly for good reason, no organization has published any stats on the issue. So without data, it's all a matter of opinion and conjecture. We've ALL seen shit happen on the track, and we ALL know what risks we take when we go out. But anything we feel inside and voice publicly is just that.. personal opinion.

As for my personal experience, I've had one big off, gained a hole in my memory for that day the size of the grand canyon, so I'm rediculously paranoid now. I tend to stay about a half second behind riders in front of me until I've had time to watch them for awhile, then if I feel comfortable I move in to pass on the straights or on the brakes. I don't take chances or make risky moves, because I want to come home in one piece every time.

I know it's not going to make my day 100% safe, and it'll probably keep me from ever getting the bump to A, but I figure as long as I'm still having fun with the rubber side down I can't be doing it all wrong.

Chaos

Aug 11, 2009
arhale09;75258 wrote: To be honest, the thing that struck me most about the video wasn't the a$$packing, but that, "He must be an interesting guy to have his two nicknames be Toejam and Chaos."
:agree:

:D

Chaos

Aug 11, 2009
That was me in front of Joe on the Black 750 and had the situation been reversed (me behind Joe) I probably would have hit the guy also. He lost all forward drive in a part of the track where everyone is accelerating.

If we were passing on the outside of a corner and he lowsided into one of us...would it have been our fault? (that has happened to me before). Like Joe said, if he slammed on the brakes midway down the straight, would it have been our fault?

You have to remember he lost all forward drive in an area where everyone is accelerating. It is one thing to get a false neutral pulling away from a red light where everyone is stopped....and an entirely different thing to hit a false neutral and basically stop while everyone is accelerating.

At any given red light, if the light turned green and everyone took off in a hurry to get to work, then the guy directly in front of you suddenly stopped...how many of you wouldn't hit him?

Sorry for the thread revival. I wanted to post several days ago when I registered but I just now got the registration confirmation email. :)

Chaos

Aug 11, 2009
As far as the whole "us vs them" discussion, I have nothing to add. Personally, I don't agree with it. Track time is track time. Before I was an instructor, I rode with STT, NESBA and Elite. I just rode with whoever had a date that fit into my work schedule.

With that being said, IMO I feel STT and even Elite is better for first time track riders due to the extensive Novice programs and classroom time. I felt like that long before I joined STT's Staff. I came to that conclusion when I was brand new to track riding and had my first track day at several tracks with all 3 organizations riding in the Novice group.

But again, that is my opinion based on my personal experience, others may vary.

You won't hear me "NESBA bashing" or bashing any other organizations. That is uncalled for and unprofessional. We are all track junkies and that is what matters.

Bluenvy

Jul 12, 2008
Trent1098S;75548 wrote:
A group I can't comment on.. not there yet. But.. speeds are WAY up and any offs are going to be comparably worse.

i feel much safer in A group then i did in any other group even if its faster. i trust that if you are in A you know what the hell you are doing so that makes it easy. all you have to do is hold your line....well that is if you get passed..which doesnt happen often :saythat: