Video of Crash @ Patriot

denbsteph

Just spoke with Scott, he is pretty soar and looking forward to getting back on the track in the spring. Scott is already talking about getting replacement parts for his R6. It's hard to keep him down for very long.

tireatr

No Video- Must have been two bikes with a yellow tail. This rider rode "I" Sunday and "B" Monday. I take your weekend ended Sunday. Heal up mang.

dfaldridge

Good job Kevin!!! My hats off to everyone involved in this terrible incident. Those that stepped up and those that have forgiven.:congrats:

k6jickser

Hey guys. I'm the one with the video. Sorry for taking such a long time, but I just got signed up on the forum. I'm uploading the vids to my computer right now. I'll see if i can edit it and get just the clip of the crash up for you tonight.

Get well soon.

- Jon

k6jickser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b03ZY00b39s

Here's the link for the video. Kevin did a good job explaining it. It looks to me like Scott was clearly wanting to pass, came on the inside a little too hot, had a different line than Kevin, and ran into his back wheel. I just hope we can all learn from this and Scott can heal up quickly to 100% for next season.

hooligan998

I saw your crash happen. I cringed when I saw it. From my vantage point, this is what I saw: You came up fast on the rear of the other bike, he did a line correction, you apparently braked to avoid but ended up contacting his rear tire which caused your front end to tuck and then you highsided. Your bike ended up flipping at least once that I could tell. You layed there for a bit before the EMT's arrived on scene. It was kind of crowded with personnel to see too much after that. I think at one point you were up on your own feet but supported by EMT's and put onto the stretcher.

Anyway, glad you are OK, relatively speaking.

And I do believe it was a temp bump B rider. Don't remember the number though.

Just seen that there is a video on YouTube. Can't look at it at work, but will check it when I get home.

Again, hope you heal quick and are riding next season!

hooligan998

Teh_K;219691 wrote: Scott,

I'm the guy on the other bike, and we collided in the first left in the S right after the pit. I would first like to apologize, as I feel *extremely* sorry for the damages you have sustained.

I did, in fact, receive a temporary bump from B to I for the day since B group was apparently flooded. I've done previous North/South/Full days at VIR, but this was also my first time on the Patriot course, and as such, I admit my lines were off. I had spent the morning setting up my initial lines, and on the session that we clipped each other, a CR had passed me and gave me (or, at least, I thought he was talking to me) the tap on the helmet, so I tried to line up behind him.

We finished the back 'straight', came down the bumpy right-hander, passed the pit, and did the wide entry into T1. This is where it got bad. He did a sharp left thru the left-hander (where you and I hit) to correctly set-up the exit of the S, but this surprised me because I wasn't used to taking that line. I was running wide relative to that line, and I tried to correct myself. This is when I felt a jolt. I haven't collided w/ anyone before, so I initially thought something fell off my bike and I ran over it or something, so I immediately just bee-lined off the track in the direction of the corner station. Once I looked behind me, I realized it was much worse. Based on the markings on my bike, I'm guessing that the end of my swingarm/wheel clipped your front tire, jolting it sideways and bucking you off.

The guy I was pitted next to was the one filming it behind you, and I've seen the video on his GoPro, but it was hard to see much detail because of the sun and small screen. He said he'd login and post it, so hopefully the uploaded version will paint a better picture.

Again, I am very sorry that this has happened to you, and I hope you have a full recovery, as your injuries are nothing to be made light of.

- Kevin

Kudos to you brother! :cheers:

ADVRacer

Thanks for the video bro. The crash is clearly caused by me folowing too close. I wasn't prepared to slow down that much through that section. I was still carrying speed from the previous pass and setting up for the next one. I never pass in that section and that was not my intent. I was setting up to pass him on the short straight when he swept across. It was a painful lesson to learn but I get it. In this situation, the range of rider skill in the group required me to back off a bit and I didn't. Again, thanks to everyone that helped me that day. The pain is still pretty bad and the recovery is going to be long. On the bright side, the bike is in great shape compared to me.

k6jickser

ADVRacer;220056 wrote: Thanks for the video bro. The crash is clearly caused by me folowing too close. I wasn't prepared to slow down that much through that section. I was still carrying speed from the previous pass and setting up for the next one. I never pass in that section and that was not my intent. I was setting up to pass him on the short straight when he swept across. It was a painful lesson to learn but I get it. In this situation, the range of rider skill in the group required me to back off a bit and I didn't. Again, thanks to everyone that helped me that day. The pain is still pretty bad and the recovery is going to be long. On the bright side, the bike is in great shape compared to me.
No problem, Scott. I'm glad to see you are still in good spirits. I didn't realize this at the time, but I think you were the first person I met when I got there Saturday. We talked for a min while you were setting up your canopies. I'm the guy with the naked gsxr 600 (I also got a temp bump to I that day). I hate to see this happen to anybody, but we all know it's bound to happen eventually in this sport.

I'm sure I'll see you out there next season.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Damn, that was a nasty one! Good job by the go-pro rider avoiding the carnage. I'm not so sure mixing the groups is a great idea. I was also new to Patriot, in A group, and learning the lines around that kart track took a while, especially in the cold morning. I know I was tip-toeing around while others wanted to GO.

Also, I would recommend coning off the "carousel" at the top of the course. My first time around (with no one to follow) I took the carousel only to have to come back on track...not good.

k6jickser

Yea man it was a close one. I clipped his back wheel with my radiator/overflow reservoir. Swerving at the last second, I was lucky i didnt get taken out by the guy that came around me.