Videos from NJMP 8/7-8/9

ScottLevy

Control Rider
NoBull;76417 wrote: Like Jim said I have a Starlane GPS-R laptimer. I'm really starting to like that thing. We download data to a laptop throughout the day and compare speed in the various turns. It really helps a lot. You may be out there with somebody faster than you but since you can't hang you only get a closeup of the speed difference in 2-3 turns max. After that you're not close enough to judge the speed difference.

We put my timer on Jim's bike and I was able to see how much time I was losing in 2,3 and 7. That helped me take 4 seconds of my laptimes in just a couple of sessions. Jim in turn was able to see he was losing a little speed in T5 and 6 and was able to take a couple of seconds of his laptimes. You can also see where you are accelerating and where you are decelerating and how fast you are losing/gaining speed. So where you think you might be wide open through a kink or something it actually turns out you are not gaining a lot of speed or maybe even losing speed. Your true topspeed down the straights is eyeopening as well. My speedometer was showing over 170 at Lightning but the laptimer/sw was telling me 140-143.

The key to success though is to get data from somebody who's faster than you so you can compare. Most people won't mind putting the timer on for a session to get you that data because it will allow them to see some data as well. Or if you know somebody else with the same laptimer you can exchange datafiles. I was actually going to open a thread here on the board asking for people with this laptimer and if they want to exchange datafiles. Seems like a good way of getting some free "education".
I'm totally ordering it! That is so much cheaper than the digital dash plus the gps receiver and what you're doing is brilliant - transferring from bike to bike. I would totally be interested in that thread if you start it.

Got a few questions for ya:
Where did you order it from?
Did you get the optional water sensor?
It says it comes with a gear indicator - is that the separate indicator Starlane sells or is it built into the timer? The user guide isn't too clear on that part.
Does it come with a harness to plug into the bike or do you have to connect the individual wires by splicing?
Thanks NB.

ScottLevy

Control Rider
Macon663;76575 wrote: i make a cameo in session 2 from 8/8 near the beginning.
Was that you goin by me on 6? My 04 R6 was having trouble keepin up from 5-7, 7-8, down the straight, between 1-2. Made me really rethink my lines to try and keep my corner speed up and try to get a good drive out, but once everyone hit the power band, they were gone. Probably going to get a new bike this year :)

Macon663

right before the bridge in one video and then going down the straight in the other, both were session 2 videos.

First...congrats on the bump!

Second...biggest thing I see in the video is you coasting a lot. especially between turn 1 and 5. Try to be on the gas or brake more and spend less time in the middle. Like going into turn 2...you can really charge in there. Don't just coast into it.

Keep up the good work, and keep making videos!

Theres a guy I raced with there a few weeks ago on an 04 R6. Bone stock besides a pipe. Josh Kruse. Was doing 10's easy. I'd take a look at your gearing to get a better drive. On my 08 I was -1/stock. I needed to be -1/-1 though.

ScottLevy

Control Rider
Thanks Pete!

Yeah I did notice that exactly where you said. It's great to be able to hear my throttle in these vids. In the later sessions I did try and stay on the gas into 5 and turn in a little earlier which definitely helped maintain mid-corner speed. Totally appreciate the feedback! I have a list of things to work on for next time for each track. Going to be adding your advice to it.

I will be videoing every session I run. At some point I'll try to get 2 or even 3 cams up to really analyze in more detail. That and the GPS laptimer like Jim and Finns have will hopefully iron out my SR's.

Thanks again man!

NoBull

Number864;76570 wrote: I'm totally ordering it! That is so much cheaper than the digital dash plus the gps receiver and what you're doing is brilliant - transferring from bike to bike. I would totally be interested in that thread if you start it.

Got a few questions for ya:
Where did you order it from?
Did you get the optional water sensor?
It says it comes with a gear indicator - is that the separate indicator Starlane sells or is it built into the timer? The user guide isn't too clear on that part.
Does it come with a harness to plug into the bike or do you have to connect the individual wires by splicing?
Thanks NB.
Mine is the GPS-R. It does not have a water sensor or a gear indicator (my 06 gixxer already has that). All it has is a RPM sensor which works by threading a little piece of wire around an ignition coil (which I haven't gotten around to doing yet). It comes with that wire and a wire you hook up to the battery and run along the frame to come out somewhere around the upper tripple clamp. Then you just hook the timer into that for power. When you put it on somebody elses bike you have to flip a switch and put batteries in it and then there is nothing to hook up at all.

I bought mine used from a CR here on this board. There was a thread some time ago by Emerson which had a link to a place that had them for a reasonable price.

XT now also has a GPS based laptimer which I think is called the GPX. It's possible Moon sells those. There was some talk about that a while back. It has more features than mine for roughly the same price, but I don't know anything else about it. I know a few CR's has that one. The data, obviously, is not interchangeable between the Starlanes and the XT's.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Landshark

Control Rider
I like my GPX. Its not hard wired so I don't get the throttle pos, rpm, gear, or temp.
The GPX is a bit different in that the track map doesn't show as red and green for accel or decel. Instead the graph shows this data.
The internal battery is charged via USB if not wired up.

ScottLevy

Control Rider
Troy,

Does NESBA have a hookup for the GPX? It seems like it has better features over the Starlane. Like 5 vs 3 splits etc.

Does the GPX's graph provide as much detail as the one from the Starlane? I'm wondering if the Starlane is more intuitive having the colorized sections of accel/decel.

Thanks!

Brian Laws

Landshark;76654 wrote: I like my GPX. Its not hard wired so I don't get the throttle pos, rpm, gear, or temp.
The GPX is a bit different in that the track map doesn't show as red and green for accel or decel. Instead the graph shows this data.
The internal battery is charged via USB if not wired up.

Troy,

The GPX will capture and display the accel/decel once you calibrate the unit and set it to capture that data. To show the different colors you have to display a lap in the GPS program, then select the lap up top (drop down menu appears) and choose the accel/decel view. Again, this is not in the options. You haev to select it for each lap you bring up. I have been viewing mine in accel/decel with the speed showing in the bottom bar graph.

ScottLevy

Control Rider
So Troy/Brian, you guys would recommend the XT over the Starlane? The other thing that irks me is that once you hard wire it, there's no quick release to take it off the bike like there is on the Starlane to do what NoBull did.

NoBull

Number864;76705 wrote: So Troy/Brian, you guys would recommend the XT over the Starlane? The other thing that irks me is that once you hard wire it, there's no quick release to take it off the bike like there is on the Starlane to do what NoBull did.
Being able to easily move it from bike to bike is definitely a plus. We were pitting with another friend who rides in the I group and he was able to put it on his bike for a few sessions as well and get some data while Jim used it in the A group.

ScottLevy

Control Rider
NoBull;76729 wrote: Being able to easily move it from bike to bike is definitely a plus. We were pitting with another friend who rides in the I group and he was able to put it on his bike for a few sessions as well and get some data while Jim used it in the A group.
I take that back. I've been doing a ton of reading and the XT has quick disconnects. Here's a really good few links on this thing. The more I look at it, the more enticing it is. This guy is selling it for $625:
http://www.shop.superbikestore.net/product.sc?productId=1496&categoryId=160
You can tap into literally everything. TPS/Rpm/Brake/Power/Gear Indicator (or based on speed/rpm)/Water temp/Acceleration - even get potentiometers for suspension travel. Sick!

Links for info on the XT GPX:
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=212773&highlight=gpx
http://www.socalmoto.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5019

Here's a thread on the Starlane:
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=182635

Fyi the same GPS Data Acquisition (the PRO model) is up around $1470. Look at the link on the left side:
http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=CCATHGR

Brian Laws

Yea, the XT is nice!. I talk to the guys back at XT almost weekly with ideas for caturing new data and they have been super helpful. They also continue to push new versions for PC and GPX firmware. I received two updates in the last month, one of which directly addressed an issue I had with capturing the fuel sensor.

The GPX definitely requires a bit of work to capture all the data, but once it is set up you can completely remove the stock gauge like I did and have all your data dispalyed on a screen you designed yourself. And yes, super easy to disconnect teh two wire sets and remove the whole system.

Jiggy

Control Rider
got some video of 'A' sessions. if anyone knows who the following two riders are, direct them my way please. 8/9/09 videos of two r6's, one a yellow/black r6 with a blue/black suit(single # on the tail section-maybe a #4 or a #9)- we are all dicing with a red/white bike.......and a yellow/black r6 with a rider wearing a silver or white helmet. If anyone knows who they are, tell them to send me a PM, thanks.