Why so few CBR?

Alec Wade

Hello, I am a new track rider with about 15 plus years of motocross experience and about 4 years of street riding experience. I just got into riding track days and ride a 2015 CBR1000rr. Just like most of you, I got the bug BAD and am looking to sell it and buy a 600cc dedicated track bike.

My questions are
1. Why do you never see CBR600 or CBR1000 on track or even motoamerica?
2. Is my experience level enough to work into the 1000 or is there no question at all about getting the 600? Thank you guys so much!

Ron R

It’s such a personal preference thing. If you enjoy the 1000 then use it. If you think it’s too much then sell it. There are tons of people that love their 600s and wouldn’t dream of riding a 1000 and vice versa. I love my 1000 and wouldn’t sell it for nothing. I did start on a cbr600 and it was a great bike. As far as pros go I think the Honda’s were behind in the electronics and power but I could be wrong. I ride an R1 so I’m not up on the others. See you soon!

bmart

Control Rider
The CBRs have had some struggles being competitive (but that 07'-'08 600 is something...), but they're working on it. Just ask Bautista. :)

I highly recommend going to the 600. You will learn a lot more and you will learn it quicker. It is a lot less power to manage forcing to improve skills as you fill your toolbox. There is no HP to rely on. You will burn through fewer tires so that you can spend your $ on training and good gear.

Ron R

I highly recommend going to the 600. You will learn a lot more and you will learn it quicker. It is a lot less power to manage forcing to improve skills as you fill your toolbox. There is no HP to rely on. You will burn through fewer tires so that you can spend your $ on training and good gear.[/QUOTE]

Allow me to retort
Stick with the 1000 and learn how to use the power smoothly to manage tires. Don’t rely on the lighter weight of the 600 to make you a corner king when you can Learn Proper body position to handle the bigger bike and when you find yourself on a 600 it’ll be extra simple

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
Or start on an sv650 and actually learn how to ride and hurt 600 and 1000's feelings :)

Also to answer your question, because honda's are slow.

bmart

Control Rider
LOL on both!

I'm not in the camp of starting with an F-18 because you'll eventually be in one. I've seen a lot of guys get hurt doing that. The electronics today help, but still...

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
LOL on both!

I'm not in the camp of starting with an F-18 because you'll eventually be in one. I've seen a lot of guys get hurt doing that. The electronics today help, but still...

I went from a 1k to a sv and I could ride circles around myself on the sv vs. the 1k. It's made me a much better rider while being safer. (My 1k had 0 electronics.)

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
I started on a GS500E. Motor didn't last long after a year and half of track days. Helped me learn without the fear of highsiding. Jumped to a 97 GSXR750. the little bike help at lot on the big bike. GS500 was back in 1999 and rode 600's after the 750 but took until 2012 to get a 1000. Glad I did wait until then.

bmart

Control Rider
Each to their own. I firmly believe that folks should ride, and learn on, whatever they like.

I ran ~30 days over years on my 400 (pic to the left) before moving to a 600. From there I rode my 750 for about three years (hating every lap) and then moved back to a 600...and an older one at that, and expect my two R6 models to take me to the end of my track day career. They leave me wanting for nothing and provide a lot of satisfaction when I can come near their capabilities...and overcome the benefits of others' litre bikes.

Whatever makes you smile every mile and as long as you are learning what you want/need to...

(I played mechanic/pit crew for my buddy racing EX500 for years. I really hated that bike, but that dude learned how to ride something build of hinges fast!)

buzz-06

Most has been covered so I’ll just leave this here.... do you like your current CBR? Do you have a bit of sentimental attachment to it? If you answer yes to both of these questions then I suggest selling it and buying something else. Rule #1 that nobody likes to talk about but it’s important to remember is don’t bring anything to the track you aren’t willing to leave in a dumpster.

kappy1000

Control Rider
Director
LOL on both!

Agree, I spent 5 years in the F-4 Phantom before moving into the F/A-18 Hornet for the next 17....damn Hornet babies didn't know what a "real fighter" was. LOL To the original question, ride what you want as you can learn on both; however the 600 is probably an "easier" platform and certainly operating expenses (tires) are a whole lot less.

bmart

Control Rider
I have to catch up with you on the F-18. One of my favorite memories from airshows is of watching the F-18 take off and accelerate to maximum speed straight up.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Because unless your name is Marquez, Honda doesn't care about you.

There are going to have been 4 Presidential Elections since Honda updated anything past the paint job on their 600.
Suzuki's not far behind in this lack of evolution on their middleweight, but they're still leaps ahead of Honda.

The 1000RR hasn't won anything I can think of since Mr. Hayden won a WSBK race in the rain in Thailand that I can recall. Win on Sunday...Sell on Monday.
And it generally finished last in any liter bike comparison.

Put it this way...if you're a car guy....and you can choose between a Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, or Challenger, which all cost in about the same price range.....are you going to buy the slowest one?