My trackday with SBTT Sunday...

bodell

Recap with my own comments omitted...

Readfast;224082 wrote:
I do agree that STT needs to re-evaluate its policy for riders self established grouping. I ride in "I" and I will say that even in the "I" there were people that probably should have been in "N". I have never had to pass so many other riders per session. I even passed more than a few people twice in one session. Saying that, I know that I'm not an "A" rider. I'm also not the fastest "I" rider, there are guys out there that make me look and feel slow! I will say, that I have ridden with STT before and it was not like this! For some reason this weekend was different? I enjoy riding with both groups and will continue to ride with both!

noobinacan;224021 wrote: I sincerely hope and wish that you will consider changing the one rule;
-No first time sign-up into A
-To evaluate riders for bump into 'A' group. Also, to clean up the current A group. As a pilot program in south east ?
like said before, self evaluation and Ego will always make people call themselves 'A' vs earning 'A'.
you'll see that people who are running the pace, will have no problem with that rule change.
anyone who cries and whines goes on top of the list for evaluation. haha
just my 2 cents :)
JRA;223918 wrote: STT has had their policy since the beginning as have we. It's my belief that our policy leads to a lot more consistency in the pace of each group, as well as gets people to really focus on improving their riding if they want to move up within NESBA because our CR's make the decision and not the rider. I think the evidence that this is a successful policy is borne out by the quality of our riders in each group. People who are riding with us for the first time routinely tell me they are surprised at how fast NESBA is. I say this not as a slam at others, but just to make the point that I think our system has a lot more merit than some give us credit for.
noobinacan;223861 wrote:
letting people self evaluate themselves doesn't work. in any aspect or field.
Did we self evaluate ourselves in School ? Do we self eval at our jobs ? list goes on.
So why let people self evaluate in a sport that's dangerous as this?
Ego will always get in the way and lead to most people to put the 'A' sticker on their bike.
Smithereens;223850 wrote:
Crashes do happen.......even with highly skilled riders......but they happen more often when riders ride above their skill level or treat a track day as a race when everyone else is in track day mode.
We've all seen riders who are really fast but don't "play well with others". They tend to feel that they're "entitled" to be bumped based on self evaluation. I know from experience that the Nesba A riders got there by demonstrating that they're both fast and can be trusted to play by the rules for everyone's safety. I ride with other organizations regularly and I've seen what happens when riders are allowed to just pick the group they want to ride in without proving they have the skills and required respect for the rules and other riders.
I have read this entire thread, and I dont see anyone supporting the idea of self evaluation for run group membership.
I think JRA put it best and I put it worst, but the message is the same. So instead of arguing more, I will leave you with this informative video on dealing with a bully.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEmu4QTlIyo

JRA

Wow! This got out of hand pretty quickly. It looks like things have calmed down now, but if this is to continue it needs to be kept civil.

I'm not sure that it really makes any sense to be debating STT policy on the NESBA message board, other than maybe helping people understand some of the differences in the two organizations. Trevor himself admitted he has no say in the issue, and it seems to me that if the majority of STT riders really would like to have a policy similar to ours, then this discussion would be taking place on the STT message board and not here.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
JRA;224094 wrote: Wow! This got out of hand pretty quickly. It looks like things have calmed down now, but if this is to continue it needs to be kept civil.

I'm not sure that it really makes any sense to be debating STT policy on the NESBA message board, other than maybe helping people understand some of the differences in the two organizations. Trevor himself admitted he has no say in the issue, and it seems to me that if the majority of STT riders really would like to have a policy similar to ours, then this discussion would be taking place on the STT message board and not here.

And I stayed out of this..aren't you proud of me John???? :D

j_fuggin_t

JRA;224094 wrote:
:agree:

Cliff notes:
-Bodell informed us of his bad experience
-STT Rep was mistaken to have said something about video equipment and got mad
-Bodell brought up helicopter & possibly mma?? :D
-STT rep discovered who said stuff about video in meeting
-Bodell apologized
-random ppl wanted STT to change sign up rules
-STT rep absorbed advice
-rider getting ready to go to barber sat is now worried :wow:
-its thanksgiving tomorrow

moral of the story is... Is it time to ride yet??

Wawazat

Wow... Texas tracks and orgs don't have nearly this much drama and controversy. I can't wait to move back and just ride without having to deal with high-schooler bitches and moans all the time.

Oh yeah, we are getting a new Moto GP track! Perfect timing!

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

noobinacan

j_fuggin_t;224129 wrote: :agree:

Cliff notes:
-Bodell informed us of his bad experience
-STT Rep was mistaken to have said something about video equipment and got mad
-Bodell brought up helicopter & possibly mma?? :D
-STT rep discovered who said stuff about video in meeting
-Bodell apologized
-random ppl wanted STT to change sign up rules
-STT rep absorbed advice
-rider getting ready to go to barber sat is now worried :wow:

who you calling random ? :p
YouBettaRecognizeBish.jpg

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
j_fuggin_t;224129 wrote:

No, the moral of the story is...is it time to eat PIE yet???? I just picked up my Thanksgiving pies today and I can't wait to eat them!!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
hank;224141 wrote: What - you didn't bake them yourself?!?!?

:eek:
No, this bakery does a far better job than I could.... :D
I'm a decent cook/baker, but sometimes it's just easier to buy, especially ones at this bakery. My family has gotten our Thanksgiving pies here on and off for probably 30 years, it's part of the tradition!

j_fuggin_t

noobinacan;224132 wrote: who you calling random ? :p
YouBettaRecognizeBish.jpg

:haha: oh yea.. LOL
HondaGalToo;224139 wrote:
No, the moral of the story is...is it time to eat PIE yet???? I just picked up my Thanksgiving pies today and I can't wait to eat them!!
:adore: you are right..

fitz

Emerson;224155 wrote: did someone say PIE?
My wife just pulled out two HOME MADE pumpkin pies out of the oven.

I sooo want to burn my face off trying to eat them!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
HondaGalToo;224128 wrote: Where's the fun in that??!!! :D

Eh...Just couldn't really get all that excited about this thread.

Beloved readers be careful to proceed..the rest of this Editorial may be shocking since it may seem somewhat diplomatic for something I have written considering how my posting history has been known for verbally blow-torching some motherfuckers for acting like swimming pools filled with Massengill in the past.

It's kind of a Pepsi vs. Coca-Cola argument. Both organizations provide us track day whores our fix with slightly different twists to their offering. Both STT and NESBA probably have loyalties that run deep. I know I'm an extremely loyal NESBIAN. I have never done and STT day, and I am guilty of giving Monte a hard time before on the WERA forum over his Advanced group policy.

NESBA for me, like many others here, is probably more about the people than anything. I feel like my track day budget dollars are like votes, and riding with STT would be like throwing my votes away in regards to NESBA's survival. Especially in these trying economical times. Now more than ever, I will ride with NESBA. I'm sure there are STT members as equally loyal to their organization.

I have heard that one of STT's strengths is their introduction program. If you have no experience whatsoever, STT does this well. New riders that want to come to the track may find this a more welcoming experience for their first time. The first time you're out there with no rear view mirrors with no limitations on speed can be overwhelming. The inputs come faster, the corners come faster, and the riders come from anywhere faster than you've experienced before on your first track day. STT apparently has some structure in place that makes Day 1 hopefully less indimidating. +1 for them.

NESBA seems to run with tighter controls on their group structure with the known limitation on admission to the Advanced group. Which I think is a effective strategy for encouraging rider development by giving riders incentive to learn and follow the rules. You're essentially giving riders a carrot to chase through incentive to advance. Kind of a slick strategy even if it's not the primary intention of the tight controls on who belongs in what group. NESBA's groups are allegedly faster as a whole than other organizations because not only do you have to display pace, but predictability amongst the group while on course. This allows the faster riders in the Advanced group to proceed past slower riders more confidently, thus avoiding riders bunching on course. NESBA also has a system of checks and balances in place by having at least two CR's and usually a Director agree to a members bump to Advanced Group. +1 for them.

The biggest difference to the organizations is probably dates/locations of events. STT may work better for others than NESBA does due to where someone lives, tracks they prefer, or work schedules. Ultimately, the MOST IMPORTANT concern SHOULD be rider's safety.

So, maybe NESBA learns about helping brand new riders from STT and STT learns a little more about using their group structure as a quality control system via rider incentive rather than the apparent open enrollment pick your group system we hear about now.

I think we (members from both organizations) dedicate ourselves to Chad Clifton, Bryan Andrews and Mike Moore's collective legacy to never having the helicopter come to any of our events again.