Q2 Life Span

Godfather

DAMN! I only did VIR Full (1 day) and Patriot (1day) but now I'm already to the wear bars! These two days were the first time I had ever rode the Q2's, but I thought they would give a little more life. I was running pressure at 30 rear 32 front. Suspension was set up by thermosman at Patriot (the second day on this set of tires). I ride a GSX-R 600 not a 1000. Anybody else have input on the Q2's and expected average life span?

R/
Mike

MCGMB

They should give more than two, by many others' accounts. Never been to VIR, not sure how abrasive it is compared to NJMP, BeaveRun, etc.

FSOD

So far i have gotten 4 days on my rear and i believe i can get a 5th out of it but its been flipped. The front still has life on it for now, i run 29 PSI Rear 31 PSI Front with nitrogen. The 4 days they have on them are 2 north days and 2 south days. The bike has been setup by Cycleworx. Havent herd of the kind of life your getting out of yours but full is a big track, patriots hard on tires, and you may be riding harder than me.

noobinacan

VIr's good to tires
if your rear's down to the bars...two things. could be either one or both.
1) either you working the tire really hard
2) The bike's worknig the tire really hard

how does the wear look ? any tearing ?

kawaholic

idk mike... i guess that vir grass and red clay is harder on tires than you'd think... :p

seriously though, they should last longer than that... :dunno:

dbarufaldi

Godfather;206482 wrote: DAMN! I only did VIR Full (1 day) and Patriot (1day) but now I'm already to the wear bars! These two days were the first time I had ever rode the Q2's, but I thought they would give a little more life. I was running pressure at 30 rear 32 front. Suspension was set up by thermosman at Patriot (the second day on this set of tires). I ride a GSX-R 600 not a 1000. Anybody else have input on the Q2's and expected average life span?

R/
Mike
Are those cold or hot pressures?

Godfather

Q2's

TOM,

You're an A$$H0lE! HA HA !!! I think your 1 trip was longer than my 4 trips! Hell, from your video, it looked like you were trying to find a short cut thru the grass to Full Course via Patriot!!! HA HA HA!! Lol! Can't wait to hang out again with ya.

Aman,

The wear looks pretty even, but the trailing edges of the grooves are feathered. Nothing really out of the norm.

The pressures are 30 rear 32 front cold. Should I come down in pressure?

Thanks.

R/ Mike

kawaholic;206538 wrote: idk mike... i guess that vir grass and red clay is harder on tires than you'd think... :p

seriously though, they should last longer than that... :dunno:
dbarufaldi;206577 wrote:
Are those cold or hot pressures?

dbarufaldi

Godfather;206609 wrote: ...
The pressures are 30 rear 32 front cold. Should I come down in pressure?

Thanks.

R/ Mike
I would be at 29/29 in cool weather, and maybe adjust up 1lb in the heat of the day (but still on cold tire). You will hear others with much lower pressures on these tires, and if that works for them, great...but one of the Dunlop guys has indicated that this tire is relatively insensitive to pressure changes, meaning that you'll do a little better or a little worse by trying to optimize pressures, but within the range (I think it was 29-32), you're only talking about a single-digit percentage performance change.

Are you sure the tires worn out? Can you put up a pic?

Dan B

Godfather

Q2

DBARUFALDI,

Yeah, I remember reading something about the pressures not really giving that much improvement. As far as posting a pic, I'm not that computer smart. The tire isn't completely gone, I should be able to get thru tech Saturday morning. I'm sure they may say, "that tire is pretty close". I plan on changing it at or around lunch time Saturday.

Thanks!

R/
Mike

borgNSR

Yeah, a pic would help. My best guess with a 32 psi rear cold is cold tearing, as it certainly doesn't sound like you overheated it with those pressures. How much gain did you get from cold to hot? This is the best indicator of how hard you are pushing your tires; I shoot for 6-7 lbs gain from cold to right-off-the-track hot. Too little (less than 4), you might be getting some cold tearing.

Godfather

Guys to be honest I never checked the pressure when hot! I am actually really ignorant to what I should be running hot. I just put 30R and 32F and ride. So if I understand, I should start with 30psi rear and come off the track and have 36-37psi rear? If I don't have 36-37 what should I do? Go with 32 Cold, so I can get up to 36-37 Hot?

Having run two stroke 125's and 250's in Italy, I never had to worry about tire wear, so all this is new to me. I would always go with 2 bar in the rear and 2.2 bar pressure in the front.

R/ Mike

kawaholic

mike, unless you're running consistent laps EVERY session and have someone waiting for you on the hot pit lane with a tire gauge, you'll be chasing your tail trying to read hot off the track pressures.

steve brubaker says, "set it and forget it" keep doing what you're doing... if anything, i'd go back and show mike (thermosman) how your tire's wearing and see if he thinks you need some more suspension adjustments.

more info here,

http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=19270

hth,

see you this weekend bro... :cheers:

almost forgot.... :flipoff:

wallacew

Godfather, im with you. I purchased a set of Q2 (my last) for Barber. And after two days they are DONE! Wear bars gone. And i have traction control. Let me say the traction was Awesome, but they wear like butter on hot pavement.

Im going to drink the GP-A kool Aide. I've heard they are awesome (wait that's what i heard about the Q2's)

Well i may buy a rear Q2 so that i can get my monies worth, to finish the front off. I have a single day VIR hopefully it will last that day, then its GP-A's

madriders86

I've gotten 10 days on a rear and front. Plenty of tread on the front still and some tread remaining on the left side of the rear, but I replaced it anyway.

Granted I'm on an sv650, and I'm not the fastest guy in the world, and I tucked the front last saturday at south...I'll be replacing the front just to play it safe.

Godfather;206662 wrote: I just put 30R and 32F and ride.
That's all you should be doing.

dbarufaldi

wallacew;210255 wrote: 10 days, really? Wow.

Well i got two, i run 29R and 31F

ill post pics tomorrow.
I got 9 days out of my first set, with plenty left on the front. Did we determine that these are hot pressures or cold?

Also, are you using warmers? If not, what do you do for first lap or two - full out, or taking it easy for warmup?

Dan B

madriders86

Most of the pressures mentioned in this thread so far (30-32) are recommended cold pressures. Seems that's what dunlop provides because they are tires that do not require warmers (nor are they needed. thus most people probably wont use them) and using hot off the track pressure is inconsistent.

wallacew

dbarufaldi;210264 wrote: I got 9 days out of my first set, with plenty left on the front. Did we determine that these are hot pressures or cold?

Also, are you using warmers? If not, what do you do for first lap or two - full out, or taking it easy for warmup?

Dan B

no warmers.

as far as pace goes, i think that's relative? My I group full out is not a A group full out or a B group full out. we could chase this all day, but different bikes different riders = different results. we are basically trying to get a consistent result from an inconsistent and constantly changing base of people. Imagine a race team with 25 different bikes and 25 different riders trying to pick ONE good tire, that's not a race team, that's a internet forum :)

But, it is fun!