Q2 Life Span

bmrboy

wallacew;210253 wrote: Godfather, im with you. I purchased a set of Q2 (my last) for Barber. And after two days they are DONE! Wear bars gone. And i have traction control. Let me say the traction was Awesome, but they wear like butter on hot pavement.

Im going to drink the GP-A kool Aide. I've heard they are awesome (wait that's what i heard about the Q2's)

Well i may buy a rear Q2 so that i can get my monies worth, to finish the front off. I have a single day VIR hopefully it will last that day, then its GP-A's

hay william, i put on new rear at vir,mon 8-22 north, at lunch time , destoryed by end of last session , real race rubber time......
slicks or ama specs tires , we had this conversation a couple of weeks ago :agree:

wallacew

bmrboy;210483 wrote: hay william, i put on new rear at vir,mon 8-22 north, at lunch time , destoryed by end of last session , real race rubber time......
slicks or ama specs tires , we had this conversation a couple of weeks ago :agree:
okay okay, you were right :doh:

my problem is and was this; CHEAP, in the wrong places. All of the people with more experience than me have been telling me to step it up. At VIR the tire guy told me to go with the GP-As, but noooooooo, pffft what does he know. i've been doing this for 5 months, what could he possibly tell me. I went with the Q2s Great tire, but..........

bmrboy

wallacew;210495 wrote: okay okay, you were right :doh:

my problem is and was this; CHEAP, in the wrong places. All of the people with more experience than me have been telling me to step it up. At VIR the tire guy told me to go with the GP-As, but noooooooo, pffft what does he know. i've been doing this for 5 months, what could he possibly tell me. I went with the Q2s Great tire, but..........

well william its like, we have very fast , big horse power bikes , and we are getting better at riding them,we push them harder
every time we ride , in some cases we have 100 more hp,you know these things are sick fast ,but it will come down to this
we need better tires . ya ,there big bucks , but body work & hard parts are more , my friend its time to step-up ;)

wallacew

bmrboy;210501 wrote: well william its like, we have very fast , big horse power bikes , and we are getting better at riding them,we push them harder
every time we ride , in some cases we have 100 more hp,you know these things are sick fast ,but it will come down to this
we need better tires . ya ,there big bucks , but body work & hard parts are more , my friend its time to step-up ;)
are there any cheap, fun, affordable, and exciting hobbies with a small buy in and low priced consumables out there?

betarace

wallacew;210510 wrote: are there any cheap, fun, affordable, and exciting hobbies with a small buy in and low priced consumables out there?
Funny you should ask. Bubba Zanetti has just taken up masturbating. Cost of entry is some cool jazz music and an old athletic sock.

wallacew

betarace;210511 wrote: Funny you should ask. Bubba Zanetti has just taken up masturbating. Cost of entry is some cool jazz music and an old athletic sock.
naa, you gotta have a decent computer, fast internet connection, private space, good chair and a large monitor.

bmrboy

wallacew;210510 wrote: are there any cheap, fun, affordable, and exciting hobbies with a small buy in and low priced consumables out there?

sorry pal , nothing with 185+hp , or ,185 + mph can you ride a depleated uranium tank round....:D

JLove

Betarace and I used the Q2s at Barber when we rode the Cali Superbike School and we loved them. But here is the catch - they change the tires on those bikes every two days.

I've been riding 211 GPAs this year with a lot of success. 6 full days on the front (medium) and it could do another day or two. I ride them at 23 rear and 32 front off of warmers. 30psi hot is too much pressure for the rear and you will get cold tear because they won't get hot enough. You can see the proper tire pressures here: http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/d211gpa/. I typically get 3 days out of a 211GPA rear on my CBR1000RR. I just got a 2011 ZX-10R and I will report how they wear on that bike as well.

Two weeks ago I decided to take the plunge and get the new American made Ntec from Cycleworx at VIR South for the rear, with a 211GPA for the front. A GREAT combination. The 211GPA front gives you a LOT of feedback when you push the front. It is very forgiving and will wallow a bit when you push the front. I see no need to get a slick front with the 211GPA being so fantastic. When you see the video below, keep in mind that this was my first session ever on VIR South. I quickly got to 1:18s using these tires and this was my first time there ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H4GT690mcY&feature=youtu.be

I did VIR South, then VIR North the next day, and the rear slick looks great. My bike has a good suspension - Traxxion Dynamics gas cartridges in the front, and a KTech shock in the rear. The tire has some wear but it looks great. I could see getting three more days out of it. For me, going with the NTec makes economic sense because it makes the bike turn in MUCH faster, puts more rubber on the ground, and wears better than the 211GPA rear. If you are a fast I rider on a 1000cc bike, get the new NTec slick for the back with the 211GPA front and you will be happy.

HTH.

wallacew

good stuff, i want the GP-A's BUT i don't have warmers? those would be a total waist without warmers, correct?

JLove

No, you can ride them without warmers. Just take it easy the first lap when leaned over. Braking and gassing will put heat into the tires quickly. Warmers are just a luxury. Use the cold pressures that dunlopracing.com shows. The NTec page on that site also has track-specific pressures.

wallacew

JLove;210567 wrote: No, you can ride them without warmers. Just take it easy the first lap when leaned over. Braking and gassing will put heat into the tires quickly. Warmers are just a luxury. Use the cold pressures that dunlopracing.com shows. The NTec page on that site also has track-specific pressures.
really? but that's not true for slicks, right?

wallacew

madriders86;210582 wrote: time to do some reading in the dunlop section wallace :poorguy:
Yes, yes, I know I need more knowledge on tires :doh:

BUT I was next to a guy this past weekend and he was on a 1098 duc with NTEC slick rear and DOT front, with NO warmers :notsure:

It may not show but I have been researching. I just like asking questions to see what the "ground truth" is.

JRA

I didn't use my warmers on Sunday, and I didn't use them at North last Monday. You can ride most any tire without warmers if you warm them up on the track properly.

Godfather

Nice Pics

wallacew;210480 wrote: Day 1 after three sessions

Day 1 by Wt_Wallace, on Flickr

Day one after seven sessions

Day 1.1 by Wt_Wallace, on Flickr
day 2 after seven or eight more sessions back home

day 2 by Wt_Wallace, on Flickr
Wallace,
Thanks for posting the pics. Basically my tires look the same as yours but I did run mine for 2 1/2 days. My tire did have cold tearing I think? Can you run warmers on the Q2's?:idea: My neighbor has a set of warmers for cheep so I was thinking about getting them. I STILL THINK Q2 ARE A GREAT BUY FOR THE MONEY! I will try the 211's maybe next year?
R/ Mike
"Godfather"

dbarufaldi

JLove;210567 wrote: No, you can ride them without warmers. Just take it easy the first lap when leaned over. Braking and gassing will put heat into the tires quickly. Warmers are just a luxury. Use the cold pressures that dunlopracing.com shows. The NTec page on that site also has track-specific pressures.
Was at Calabogie this past weekend. The guy who runs Pro6, the exclusive bike organization there, used to work for Dunlop for a long time, and gave a great Q&A at lunch one day. He said the warmers are not really necessary for any of these tires, BUT should not be considered just a luxury item. What he said was the tires will definitely cold tear if you push them when they are not hot, so depending on the day and the track, that can be two laps at moderate pace before really pushing. His point was 1) more tire wear because of cold tear, and 2) a couple mins each session for warmup x 8 sessions/day equate to real loss of tracktime (almost an entire add'l session, if you believe the math). The value of those lost laps pays for the warmers (and overhead associated with them).

He also said warmer use should be as follows:

Put them on 1 hour prior to first session.
After each session, put the warmers on the tires but not turned on. Leave them off for the next groups session (20 mins) then turn them on the group before yours (20 mins). So it's 20 mins on track, 20 mins with unplugged warmers, 20 mins with warmers, 20 mins on track, etc...the 20 mins w/warmers unplugged just reduced the total time at temp for the tire, without the effects of cold cycling. At the end of the day, put the warmers on the tires, unplugged, and let them cool slowly.

Dan B