Should Ladies get a different rate?

Ruhe52

Hey Family discount is a good idea but would those of you buying one pay more.
You see family discounts but rare that they cost the same as a single member at clubs.
IE $75 Single member $115 Family up to 2-3 members $1??? More than 3 and so on.

PJZOCC624

Holy sh!t, Chris!!! Dude, those law school classes are bringing out the litigist in you!

Hows about a little "time out" to get back on track here?

As far as the "should women get a discount" argument....

Depends on what she looks like.

mlmoore

hank;106853 wrote: An apples v. turnips comparison...

At the track there are a limited number of spaces and generally sell out due to low availability w/high utilization. This is very different from the gym & bar scenes...
This is not true in all regions, all tracks for all dates.

On discounts I think it makes sense to offer discounts to draw new demographics to the club. If it doesn't work it can always be changed later.

I think it makes sense to offer discounts to fill up events in some cases.

Communication of the intent is very important. If it's a one-time or trial offer make sure the members are told that so they don't expect if always. If it's something that is going to on-going make sure that is known as well. Anything can change based on business conditions but make sure the intent is communicated.

Mikey75702

barry38;107402 wrote: Not sure if you are aware but we do give a multi-day discount now to individuals. If you sign up for two days at a multi-day event at the same time, the second (or third for that matter) day is $15 off. You can also buy credits and get I believe a 15% discount........
Yeah I know that barry, but thanks for pointing that out for people who didn't know. My post was saying that it would probably make more sense to be able to link multiple members to one account (a family account with a single credit card) and that when more then one person from that account signs up for the same day, it would give a discount LIKE the multi-day discount.... Even if it is only $5-10 per member after the first, it would be a discount non the less and would help promote more people to bring family members which would help to fill more days.... Again just my .02......

bjrose

A definite NO to a discount for women riders. We are given the same available amount of track time and CR instruction as the guys. My husband and I are both NESBA members and the cost of both doing track days gets expensive. I think considering a family membership program may help to bring some new people on board and also help financially with families that have young riders that are interested.

Barb

alphamale

I just wanted add my NO to the list for a few reasons

1) It may lead to resentment from some (men) that may be pissed that they pay more. Especially white males which are in general the most discriminated group these days... :popcorn:

2) Our country is moving towards ("Equal pay for Equal work") That should be extended to equal pay for equal tracktime.

iamnotgreg

I completely agree on the family thing.
On the fence on the women discount thing... I think perhaps the best course on that would be compromise.. Perhaps an occasional "Ladies Day" with discounts and or a Ladies Only event.. (I have talked to a handful of women - wife included who say they would feel more comfortable @ least to start in this environment.. It seems many women think us men are just nuts and women are more calm cool and collected.. Sometimes that pov is hard to argue against) :)

In any case.. In regards to the family thing I think it should be a discounted rate for the membership AND the days.. The reason behind this or why is that fair? You're buying in bulk.. Right? If I purchase 2 track days out of a weekend I get a discount.. Right? Why wouldn't I get a discount if I was to be purchasing 2 track days on the same day, or 4 in 2? Seems just as fair to me as giving everyone a discount for buying 2 out of 2.. Right?
When the wife buys 10lbs of raw spinich at Costco it does cost a bit less per lb than it does when she picks it up at Dominics... Nevermind the fact that we generally end up throwing away 5lbs of it and it's a net loss... :)

Full disclosure - I am the only person in my family that rides a motorcycle. I did talk the wife into taking the MSF last year but she has never so much turned a wheel on a road or track yet. So I personally have no vested interest either way.. Just stating what I see as fair.

tattsailor

Yes and No.

Yes, maybe a couple of days per Season offering a discount to promote more women in riding Track Days. What about a all women's track day? First open registration to women, and if you cannot get enough riders then open to men to fill the rest of the openings.

No, this opens the doors to other groups asking for a discounted rate. People like me, what about a military discount? Should mine be equal to the women's discount, greater or less?

Basically, a flat discounted rate for all season is opening up a can of worms. However, specific dates would probabaly work well.

iamnotgreg

All this talk by military members of them deserving a discount is missing the point here.

Don't take this as me not appreciating what it is you do.. Because I do.

Now that said.. If you don't ask me I won't tell you that I would much rather follow a nice looking girl wearing a tight fitting leather suit around a race track than any of you guys :)
Say what you want.. The view is that much better.

We need more girls out there more than we need more military people (or any other guys)
As we get more girls out in the sport more girls will follow.. The girls out there right now are kind of the pioneers in this arena.

Yeah.. This POV from a guy who lives at Belmont and Halsted.. How's that for irony?
;)

Side note...
I am a bit confused. A lot of the dissent to this idea points out that the track days are selling out as it is so why discount to get new people out there? If that is the case... Why have membership drives? Why have specials at all? Why not add more dates? It seems a bit contradictory to me.

FaceRace98

If the overall goal is to increase membership (regaurdless of gender) why not implement something that applies to everyone?

I ride with lots of people who would like to try a trackday. Some do not want to make the financial commitment it takes to try it out and see if its something they would like to get into. The most expensive trackday is usually the first one. Your average street rider may have to go out and buy leathers, correct boots and gloves, as well as have almost new tires and a membership before they can sign up to ride.

How about a program for people doing their first trackday. Maybe offer a one-time free set of rental leathers, and only pay the trackday fee for the day. This would be much easier to sell riders thinking about getting on track. Basically have your bike ready and pay the entrance fee. After that day they would have to purchase a membership and pay for their own gear.

We all know how addictive this sport is and I would be willing to bet that a high % would be back. It could be offered as an alternative to the Intro group.

Just a thought

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
alphamale;107806 wrote:

2) Our country is moving towards ("Equal pay for Equal work") That should be extended to equal pay for equal tracktime.
Sigh, been moving towards it since the 1970s, and before. Maybe someday we'll get there.

Agree with the track price vote, as mine was the same.

Whoever suggested nesba hosting an all-women's trackday...it'll likely never fill. There simply aren't that many women into this sport. Fishtail used to do an all-women's school at Loudon once a year. They did fill it, but I don't know what they consider full, how much it costs to rent Loudon compared to tracks around here, etc. If you try for a women's day and it doesn't fill, then you open it up to men, the women who signed up only because it was a women's day aren't going to be happy. Reg Pridmore hosted an all-women's CLASS at Loudon in '95 and filled it. He tried to do subsequent ones, but couldn't get enough women. As a compromise, he tried to have a "ladies day" class filled with close to equal numbers of men and women, the idea then was to have all the women in one group, men in a second group. Problem with that was now you've got a huge disparity in ability. That didn't work, so he ditched the entire idea.

To you guys who have wives who want to try this, tell them to just c'mon out and jump in there with the guys.

Or, if a woman really wants to go to an all-women's school as the first track experience, here's the only option I'm aware of. The Women's Riding School that I think was associated with BCM Ducati, then Fishtail Riding School, is now affiliated with Penguin and hosts a day once a year at Loudon. http://womensridingschool.tripod.com/

Joe Vital

If giving away for FREE two sessions at EVERY trackday NESBA holds is not enough to entice new people to this sport, then how is discounting fees going to work. Unless of course the underlying motivation to entice more females exclusively-effectively creating a favored status group.
Another point: If NESBA did offer a discounted rate, how is that paid for ultimately? Will the INTRO class be abolished? Will some of our club benefits go away? Or will the cost of trackdays absorb this expense?

Twiztedjester55

iamnotgreg;107866 wrote:

Side note...
I am a bit confused. A lot of the dissent to this idea points out that the track days are selling out as it is so why discount to get new people out there? If that is the case... Why have membership drives? Why have specials at all? Why not add more dates? It seems a bit contradictory to me.
The reason behind the membership drives in January is to get people to renew or sign up early in the year so Nesba has some money flow during a time of year when they typically have none. Same as when they offer credit specials in Dec.