Should Ladies get a different rate?

rk97

Meat;107016 wrote:
Fair is treating everyone with the same set rules.
I don't necessarily disagree, but to think that will ever happen is a fantasy.

to answer your question, the "regular" price is only regular if 51% of the members are paying it. I can't fathom a scenario where I would be the only person paying 'regular' price. Of course I'd be upset if 49% of the members were getting a discount and I didn't qualify, but that still wouldn't make it "unfair."

By your logic, "everyone should follow the same set of rules." In that case, control riders would be paying full price to ride. All military discounts of any kind should cease to exist. Senior citizens discounts would be unconstitutional. ...don't even get me started on 'tax brackets' and affirmative action.

I fully agree with you, in theory - but even communism works in theory.

rk97

HondaGalToo;107019 wrote: Ah, don't let this thread turn into a NESBA vs. STT thread. There's plenty of those already!
NoBull started it!

/threadjack - Meat, PM me if you want.

Landshark

Control Rider
I don't know if the question will ever lead to a goal. Yes, I am a CR but I'm no different than you or any other rider when it come to socializing in the paddock. As for NESBAs goal, I am not the person to make that call. However it's discussions such as these that stem the the tide of change. I find it very interesting to hear the reasoning behind the choices made. I wouldn't place so much weight on why the question was asked but rather the rational behind the answer.
In regards to the question of a family membership, I like the idea. I'm biased though because I have family that rides. Do I like the idea of women getting a different rate? It doesn't bother me one bit. I do see how someone could feel slighted because of gender. Personally I don't think it would increase member numbers significantly, but I did think it would bring people to the track that might be on the teetering edge of attending as a rider or sitting out.
What seems to be resonating through most of the responses is that the decision to ride where, when and with whomever is driven mostly by the quality of the experience. That experience can be determined by many factors but the monetary aspect is a factor afterward and then it become a measure of worth or value. For me anyway.
I like many of you am very passionate about my hobbies. I want nothing more than for you to share the same excitement I get. So to me anything that brings people like us together is WIN.
Like others have posted you are either into this sport or you are not. If someone said "Hey Troy my alternative medicine club has a discount for guys over 40. We are all meeting in the swamp for a leach cleansing. Do you want to join?" I would have to decline that invitation. I don't think money would even be considered.

On that note. I have 14 days until I hit Jennings to try and get in shape before Barber. I hope to see as many of you as possible this year. Even you beings from another planet called the Mid West. Maybe at Road America. Now if I could just get a discount on Hayes's bike. We are a Yamaha club right?

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
I was actually wondering what (if any) the perks were to signing up for a lifetime membership. Considering that NESBA typically offers the $25 discount every year, memberships run $50 a year. If a lifetime membership costs $500, then it would take 10 years to pay off (not consdering the Time Value of Money, for you finance folks out there).

greeny

rk97;107020 wrote: By your logic, "everyone should follow the same set of rules." In that case, control riders would be paying full price to ride.
apples to oranges. if you wanted to make a fair comparison, note that CRs in some other organizations get paid to be out there with you. nesba CRs do it for free without question and i'm sure most of them spend more money on extra tires than you spend on track fees all year.

rk97;107020 wrote:
I fully agree with you, in theory - but even communism works in theory.
you're making this such a technical argument. you either think it'll help the organization or not. i wouldn't really mind if girls were paying a discounted rate, but i don't think it'll help that much. although it may seem like money is the biggest determinate of which organization someone rides with, i think it's actually which org their friends or family has already chosen and enjoys. i don't mean to generalize, but i think it's very rare to see a girl come out for her first track day alone. however, i like the family "plans" - not as much to get more business, but to reward the families that drag a whole trailer full of bikes along each time they come to the track.

maybe having specific days for girl deals could be more effective, where they get a good discount to tracks we might not be able to fill as fast. they might be more inclined to attend if it's labeled as a special girls event. kim, get on it! lol

bike428

Landshark;107029 wrote:

On that note. I have 14 days until I hit Jennings to try and get in shape before Barber. I hope to see as many of you as possible this year. Even you beings from another planet called the Mid West. Maybe at Road America. Now if I could just get a discount on Hayes's bike. We are a Yamaha club right?
:agree: I saw his bike and Bostrom's up close and personal in Vegas. Not to feed into your addition but those are some bad MF's. I guess the best way to discribe the sound is a Duc revving strong and hard past 14.5. Good thread by the way. I selfishly would like to see a family discount as my big head son will be able to ride with us in 3 years, 2 months, and 27 days. But then again, whose counting? :dunno:

Meat

And what about the bald guy discount? I do not have to wash my hair and therefore I would, in theory, use less water in the showers, leaving more for others. My head can also be used as a landing beacon for a helicopter, if the need should arise.

fitz

Posting this question to devoted Nesbians is bound to receive biased responses anyway and is only valid in that now you know the opinions of a bunch of track whores that hang out in a forum because they don’t know what to do with themselves. :D

fitz

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Meat;107055 wrote: And what about the bald guy discount? I do not have to wash my hair and therefore I would, in theory, use less water in the showers, leaving more for others. My head can also be used as a landing beacon for a helicopter, if the need should arise.
Ok, now I have coffee all over my keyboard! :haha:

hank

:agree:

Also, if someone can demonstrate via their lap times that they are riding at 70% can they get a discount on the price since the chances of crashing are lower than if they rode at 90%?
:p:p:p

Actually - a 'safe rider' discount sounds good - more track time for everyone!

Damn - winter is making us all crazzzzy...

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
hank;107061 wrote: :agree:

Actually - a 'safe rider' discount sounds good - more track time for everyone!

Damn - winter is making us all crazzzzy...
:agree: A safe rider discount does sound good...1 crash per year :) and yes we're losing it!!!

fitz

Hey what about a mid-life crisis discount?

Never mind NESBA would surely go bankrupt.

Troy:

On a serious note and taking an idea from another org becasue after all, there are no original ideas.

How about a discount for women regarding an all women track day? Just something to try and get them in the door. If they sign up for May 15 at (insert track whatever) they pay full price for the track day, BUT the NESBA membership fee is wavied for the year. So they have ridden with NESBA, now they see the light and will join the rest of us heathens at other dates. The benefit is people now meet and feel more comfortable with the org and each other. After all we are creatures of habit and it is scarey (for whatever reason) to just show up to a new place with new people.

We do this in Delaware's MSF Class. Although the price of the class is the same, as in no discount, the few all women classes we do are very succesful.

My 2 cents,

BZ

beac83

Senior Discount; Ladies Discount; Family Discount; Military, Student and Unemployed discounts.

These are all used to implement policies of an organization and/or to draw additional revenue. I'm all for strengthening the organization by getting more events with higher paid attendance. Whatever that takes. Only by raising participation and maintaining revenue to meet costs will we grow; allow ourselves to get more tracks and more attractive dates, etc.

As many have pointed out in this thread, one of the greatest things about NESBA is that the thing that matters is riding and improving.
No one cares that someone is young, old, female, what your job or income are, whether you have a uber-hauler or sleep in/under your truck. We are all here to ride, and we all have an equal opportunity to learn and improve, because this organization and our CR's offer their help to everyone from the hapless newbie to the AMA racer.

As others have said, concessions (discounts) can usually be justified to meet a purpose, which is usually increased revenue. They also can be used to fill dates that are undersold, attract a new segment of riders, etc. The goal in the end has to be increased membership and participation.

I'm all for trying things to get more participation.

But perhaps there should be some discussion and common understanding of what we are looking for in members. Are we looking for the occasional trackday rider, or are we focused on hard-core addicts? Do we want to focus on newbies, or more on the intermediate riders? We can't be everything to everybody.

After two seasons with NESBA, my sense is that NESBA primairly seeks as members those who want to improve.

NESBA is an organization of members who mutually support each other in improving our skills and have a heckofa lot of fun doing it.

We provide tools and instruction, but we at NESBA place the burden for learning on the rider. We don't do a lot of hand-holding. The rider has the responsibility to work at improving themselves by taking advantage of the resources NESBA offers. NESBA is also something of an extended family. This comes from a common commitment (addiction?) and the organizations' operational style of members offering their knowledge and skills freely to others. These are our strengths. This is what we offer that the other orgs don't/can't. This is what we need to market to others who are looking for what we have found in NESBA.

rk97

greeny;107038 wrote: apples to oranges. if you wanted to make a fair comparison, note that CRs in some other organizations get paid to be out there with you. nesba CRs do it for free without question and i'm sure most of them spend more money on extra tires than you spend on track fees all year.
Which trackday orgs pay their CR's? I'll grant you that the dealerships who run an occasional trackday might, but what major trackday org pays their CR's or coaches or whatever?

my point was only that "the same rules for everyone" is a practical impossibility. There's always an exception.

Meat

rk97;107117 wrote: Which trackday orgs pay their CR's? I'll grant you that the dealerships who run an occasional trackday might, but what major trackday org pays their CR's or coaches or whatever?

my point was only that "the same rules for everyone" is a practical impossibility. There's always an exception.
Isn't pay also considered goods and services? Then the CR's are supposed to get a set of tires (not saying they actually do), they get to ride at the trackday for free because they worked with the other riders in B or I group. So, I would think that makes them paid.

Who else do you think is not being treated the same at a nesba trackday? Can't say intro riders because we are all given that same opportunity when we first were looking at joining. Same for the demo rides, we all have the same opportunity.

If I pay $100 for something and you pay $80 for that same thing, I just don't understand the logic that it is fair. I am paying 25% more than you for the same exact service and by extending that discount to a certain group, how is that fair? And if it is fair, then can that discount go to a certain group, say a certain race as opposed to a sex?

Landshark

Control Rider
ALERT Meat is headed off the
61089116thedeepend_35169.jpg