Emergency generators?

bmart

Control Rider
Hi all. What do folks run for home emergency generators? We've lost power for multiple days four times this year. I'd like to pick up something quiet that will run a fridge/freezer, microwave, and a small fan/heater (on and off). Both Honda and Yamaha seem to offer (too) many options. Connecting two smaller, more portable ones together might make things easier too. Just starting the research cycle...

I know that we have a connection to Yamaha. do they offer us any discounts?

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/generator

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I currently have two Honda EU2000is generators. During an extended outage, I was able to run two refrigerators, a deep freezer, TV, DVD player and a light all on one generator. Getting the parallel cable to run them in tandem is by far the cheapest route. You can get 4000 watts for less than $2000. If you plan to keep this generator at home and noise is not an issue, I would probably get a 5-6k unit from Lowes or Home Depot. This way you know you have enough power and the cost is good. If you need it quiet, like most of us hope you do, it will cost you. I would not count out the Harbor Freight Predator inverter generators either. I've seen them first hand at the track and they are very quiet. $700 for a 3.5k unit is pretty good. If you go that route, I would definitely get the warranty.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Wow Jim, That's a lot of load for a little generator. The inrush current if both refrigerators start at one time is going to be an issue. The normal rating for a Honda 2000 is 1600 watts if I remember correctly. What ever anyone does, please make sure you know what you're doing when back feeding a generator into your house circuitry. You can kill the poor lineman who is trying to restore your power if not done properly.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Wow Jim, That's a lot of load for a little generator. The inrush current if both refrigerators start at one time is going to be an issue. The normal rating for a Honda 2000 is 1600 watts if I remember correctly. What ever anyone does, please make sure you know what you're doing when back feeding a generator into your house circuitry. You can kill the poor lineman who is trying to restore your power if not done properly.

Obviously, I got the first item up and running, then plugged in the second one, then the third and so on. If they were all plugged in at first, the generator would have tripped. But, I assure you, that little guy ran full tilt boogey for about 12 hours. This was about 3-4 years ago and we haven't had an outage since.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Well, it obviously worked so there's that. :) Another thing to observe is actual voltage at the appliance. Motors don't like to run on reduced voltage. They will (up to a point) but it seriously degrades both their performance and their longevity. Back in the bad old days of power shortages the utility would cause brown outs (ie reduced voltage) in order to keep customers on line. Many problems occurred and so now they do rolling black outs if absolutely necessary.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Since noise isn't an issue at my house, I have a Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder 5500 W genny. I have a subpanel to switch to generator power. I just plug into the side of the house. I have a well and boiler that are hard-wired in, so extension cords won't cut it.
Don't worry, this noisy-ass thing will never come to the track with me. LOL.

bmart

Control Rider
Thanks all! It looks like a Yamaha or Honda 2000, with only a fridge/freezer, small stand alone freezer, microwave, tank-less water heater, and a small heater...I should be good to go. I'll need to plug in the freezer, heater, and hot water only when we're going to use them. Like packing rain tires and a rain suit for track day...we'll likely never lose power again.

Back to the comparison pages. Folks are having some big sales right now! (I'm not sure that I can own anything red.)