Plugged Tire OK on Track (Novice)

Laszlo

Howdy all!
On my future (mostly) track bike, I got a screw in the rear tire and plugged it up with rope style tire plug. Have done this often enough that I’m familiar with it and comfortable it will hold air (on my Speed Triple RR 1200 which I’m commuting on now to get past break in and to get comfortable with bike). Edit: clarifying: the screw was on the tread side, not sidewall, maybe an inch left of center.

When I do start tracking it:
-anything in the rules that prohibit this? Didn’t see anything so just want to check.
-In terms of safety: safe enough? I used to autocross and plugged tires there once or twice and those were fine, but I had three more tires to rely on if it leaked (slow leak so I could feel it too). Tires have 600 miles on them so I’d rather not replace it, but would of course do so if not safe on track.

I’m in Novice and have been told I could move up sometime soon-ish, but would likely stick in Novice for at least one more track day on this bike so I’m used to it on track (versus the Thruxton RS i ride now). I note this solely to indicate what stress the tires may experience; which are: Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa V3s.

Thanks for the feedback!

GummyShark430

Control Rider
I'll second that you do not want to risk that plug coming out. On track your running lower pressures and gaining a lot more heat, if the plug pulls at high speed it won't be a fun ride. Tires are your #1 safety feature on the bike as they control all your grip.

GummyShark430

Control Rider
@tdelegram - any thoughts on a plug patch from the inside?
I wouldn't recommend a plug of any kind because in order to install you must widen the hole and even with a plug patch it's possible the tire deformation results in a failure. In addition on track you are likely going to wear that tire significantly faster and the integrity of the plug patch deteriorates as the rubber gets thinner. Most bike/tire manufacturers will tell you a plug is only temporary to get you to a location for change.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Hey Laz,
I'll echo what others said and wouldn't do it.
I've had plugged tires as well, and would run 8,000mi on them on the street without trouble.
On the track, never in a million years would I risk it.
Keep the tire as a spare for the road, and get another for the track. :)

Myers

Control Rider
Negative, Nope, uh uhhh, no way.. .and if you do chose that option (your choice obviously)... I would appreciate a heads up so when we are riding together on the track I know to keep my distance. But.. all in all.. This was a GREAT question to ask !! kudos to you for asking and wanting to learn.

Laszlo

Negative, Nope, uh uhhh, no way.. .and if you do chose that option (your choice obviously)... I would appreciate a heads up so when we are riding together on the track I know to keep my distance. But.. all in all.. This was a GREAT question to ask !! kudos to you for asking and wanting to learn.
:)Yep. Good feedback. Went with new tire so you can ride with slightly more comfort behind me... Though still be skeptical i suggest;)