02 R6 runs rough below 8000 RPM

updated

This bike is running like it's on 3 cylinders till about 8000 RPM than it takes off hard and runs fine to redline.

Also it will not idol, just stalls.

I just installed new spark plugs and new K&N air filter but no help.

bigkaley

Control Rider
Need some more info:
--has bike been sitting without running?
--old fuel?
-- dirty/ clogged jets?
--is there a Jet Kit?
--does the bike run with the choke on?
--was bike wrecked?
--damage to any electrical components?
--getting spark at all the plugs?

Etc..... I'm sure you'll get alot of good info on here, but "Number Five need more Input". (Name that movie line:popcorn:)

updated

I was at beaverun last month. Crashed on warm-up lap (more like fell off bike trying to see how close i could get to a cone).

I picked the bike up and rode in so I could re-tech. The bike was running as I describe and I thought it was just flooded from laying on its side.

I got back out on the track and after a couple laps the bike ran fine.The next day (still at beaverun) the bike ran fine all day.

2 weeks ago I was preparing for Summit and when I started the bike it was running as described again. I called Moon and ordered the plugs and filter.

I don't know if it has a jet kit or not. i just bought it about 2 months ago.

From 8000 RPM it runs very strong. Almost like a turbo kicking in because below 8000 RPM it sputters and has very little power.

The bike does not have a choke. (not sure why but thats the way it came)

The old plugs all looked the same. My friend is an auto mechanic and said the plugs looked may-be a little lean but was not bad and did not believe that was causing a problem.

bigkaley;17441 wrote: Need some more info:
--has bike been sitting without running?
--old fuel?
-- dirty/ clogged jets?
--is there a Jet Kit?
--does the bike run with the choke on?
--was bike wrecked?
--damage to any electrical components?
--getting spark at all the plugs?

Etc..... I'm sure you'll get alot of good info on here, but "Number Five need more Input". (Name that movie line:popcorn:)

bigkaley

Control Rider
Well, we're getting somewhere, but still some more questions to be answered:
--You said it has no choke. What's you starting procedure when the bike is cold? How does the bike run when it's up to temp?
--You said you dropped the bike during the warm up lap, but the next day it ran fine. Which side did the bike fall on? Any serious damage?
--Bike runs above 8k rpm, but not below. Sound like possible issues with either the idle or midrange circuit. I'd pull the carbs and check them internally. That would also tell you if there's a jet kit in the carbs.

Still trying to narrow down the possibilities.;)

Pascal

this might be off left field, but with the bike running spray some carb cleaner around the carbs (or propane) and see if the rpms go up. wondering if one of the carbs got knocked out of place a little bit and you are pulling air...

Motomoon

Did you oil the K&N...take it out and try it with out the filter installed. I have had a couple guys over oil the filter and the bikes run like crap...

Now the stalling and not idling has me on the same page as Pascal. You might have a vacuum leak. Maybe pulled a hose when pulling the airbox. Make sure the carbs are all seated in the rubber manifolds.

Synch the carbs?

updated

I start the bike just by hitting the start button. It usually fires right up or I give it a little gas and than it will fire up. Never have a problem starting

The bike fell on the left side. Only damage was ground down peg, frame slider and rear axle slider.

I will spray the carb cleaner around the carb boots and see what happens.

How will I know if it has a jet kit?

Also, This bike ran like this BEFORE I installed the new plugs and air filter so I am sure there is no problem there. I did not oil the filter because the directions said it comes PRE-OILED.

All these suggestions are great!! Thank you all very much!!!

bigkaley;17479 wrote: Well, we're getting somewhere, but still some more questions to be answered:
--You said it has no choke. What's you starting procedure when the bike is cold? How does the bike run when it's up to temp?
--You said you dropped the bike during the warm up lap, but the next day it ran fine. Which side did the bike fall on? Any serious damage?
--Bike runs above 8k rpm, but not below. Sound like possible issues with either the idle or midrange circuit. I'd pull the carbs and check them internally. That would also tell you if there's a jet kit in the carbs.

Still trying to narrow down the possibilities.;)

BadR6Man

The ignition coils are notorious and will cause the symptoms you describe. A cylinder misfire at low rpms.

With the engine running, disconnect each coil one at a time to tisolate which cylinder is mifiring. You will notice a decrease in RPM when you unplug the coil on a good cylinder. You want to find the one when you unplug it, there is no difference in engine RPM. This is your suspect cylinder.

Swap the bad coil with another cylinder and re-test. This will determine if the coil is bad (if the coil is still misfiring) or if you have a plug or module/open wire to coil (the original cylinder is still misfiring)

updated

DUDE you are a BAD R6 MAN!!!
That was it!!! I unplug the connectors on top the spark plug caps and when i pluged them back in the bike ran fine.

What are those plugs? What do they do? Is this a part that I should have spares for?

Again, thank you all for the great help. I am sure the motorcycle shop would have charged me plenty to fix that problem.

Carl

BadR6Man;17674 wrote: The ignition coils are notorious and will cause the symptoms you describe. A cylinder misfire at low rpms.

With the engine running, disconnect each coil one at a time to tisolate which cylinder is mifiring. You will notice a decrease in RPM when you unplug the coil on a good cylinder. You want to find the one when you unplug it, there is no difference in engine RPM. This is your suspect cylinder.

Swap the bad coil with another cylinder and re-test. This will determine if the coil is bad (if the coil is still misfiring) or if you have a plug or module/open wire to coil (the original cylinder is still misfiring)

Motomoon

I almost edited my post to add this. There was a member at Main that had a miss but it missed all the time. Bobby G brought up the fact that they had a tech bulletin on the ignition coils going bad. I was thinking the bulletin was 03 and up models but they all used the coil over plug set up.

Fix and enjoy...you owe someone a beer;)

zxsixr

bigkaley;17441 wrote:

Short Curcuit that movie rocks:D