03 clutch change question

thull25

My clutch seemed to be slipping in 4th 5th and 6th gear at road america. The only way i can explain it is that it seemed that the RPMs redlined just after shifting then slowly fell back and caught the gear and took off. I was wondering if a clutch change is a fairly simple task or if i should pay extra to have the local dealer do it for me. Also can i get some suggestions on clutch kits? Id like to have a higher performance one but also plan on selling my bike soon to get another. So i think i just need something to fix the problem without breaking the bank.

Steve

I haven't tried anything except OEM, but it's a pretty simple task. The question is, how bad is it? This you won't know until you take it apart. I've been lucky enough to have only needed to replace the fibers, or friction plates. If your steels are warped or burnt looking you'll have to replace those too. You can test the steels by putting them on a mirror or other flat surface to see if they're warped. If it's reaally bad you may have to replace the whole basket.

If I remember right, most people say stick with OEM. Good luck!

thull25

Its a 2003 R6, with about 33k miles. I bought it with 26k and im not sure if the last guy had any problems, I just started to notice on the Road A straightaway.

Joe Vital

use OEM parts.
it should be simple if you are mechanincally inclined and have a service manual.
removing the clutch hub nut will require some sort of impact wrench and installing it will require some sort of clutch hub holding tool. the holding tool can be made from two metal straps fashioned like a pair of scissors, but the tool below is cheap enough to avoid this method.

a random link with a list of electric impact wrenches: http://www.nextag.com/impact-wrench-electric/stores-html
link to a clutch holding tool: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0008/

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I don't know Yamaha's, but I thought you only need to remove the pressure plate to reveal the steels and fibers. At least that's what I've encountered on the ones I've done.

Joe Vital

ninjamansc;193398 wrote: I don't know Yamaha's, but I thought you only need to remove the pressure plate to reveal the steels and fibers. At least that's what I've encountered on the ones I've done.
You are correct. I got too excited when I got to thinking about tools. Thanks for pointing it out.

One thing to look for when it taken apart is wear ridges in the basket. If they are not too bad they can be dressed using a rat tail file and some patience. For that the clutch hub nut will have to be removed and the clutch basket removed.