06 gsxr 600 oil pan

vanelli56

All right... while trying to change my oil, I cracked my oil pan tightening the oil plug!
Didn't think I put to much torque on it.... but alas its cracked.

I have looked at a few forums on how to replace it, as I already have one on order... and it looks like there are two major headaches with this operation.....

#1. There is one bolt in the back corner near the rearset and kick stand that is blocked by the old exhaust bracket...
#2. There is a plate on the back side that is also bolted by two or three of the same oil pan bolts, and then to the frame... and from what I have read is that the clearence is only 1/4 inch, and the bolts are 2 inches long.

What I am hearing is that I will have to notch, cut, or groove that part of the exhaust bracket, that is actually a part of the frame.
Remove the entire exhaust system, AND bend that plate, just to change the pan....

Basically, I am asking if anyone has had any experience in this matter, on this particular bike? If so, is my synopsis pretty accurate on what is going to have to take place to change this?

Any advise on how to make this easier would be greatly appreciated.... thanks

onepointone

I agreed, that does sound like it kind of sucks..

As far as getting the pan off/on, I dont have much to contribute. Just make sure you clean the gasket surface well make sure the gasket material is on well so you dont have to do it again.

Goodluck man,

vanelli56

Thanks, I am hoping to get it done this week. It does suck b/c that is the worst feeling ever that something so small can cause so many head aches....

I went ahead and drained the coolant in prep to remove the radiator, so that I can get to the headers and remove them for access to the pan.
I have a pretty good idea that I am going to just have to cut or grind some of the bracket that comes out from the frame, to get to the one bolt. But because I dont even use that mount any more b/c the stock exhaust is loooong gone... I am not too worried about it.

When I searched this on some of the GSXR forums, it actually seems to be a fairly common problem....
I am not sure if it is from over torquing or if it is just poor casting, or a combination....I know I was not using a torque wrench, but I really did not think I was wrenching on it like a mad man, but either way, it just plain sucks!

Once done, I'll post a detailed step by step process....

Still open for any advise if available....

Thanks

vanelli56

By chance, does anyone know the torque specs for the oil pan bolts, the oil plug, and header bolts??
I almost have the pan off, and should be putting the new one one in a day or two, and putting my baby back together, and dont want to F' anything up again at this point in the game....

Thanks
Gene-o

dmb367

vanelli56;41597 wrote: Thanks, I am hoping to get it done this week. It does suck b/c that is the worst feeling ever that something so small can cause so many head aches....
Couldn't agree more.

I hope you get it squared away man.

vanelli56

Well, she is all put back together....hopefully better then ever.
After some fussin' and cussin'...shes ready to roll.

I did have to grind on the frame just a smidgen to get the last bolt out of the oil pan....
It was actually on the stock exhaust hanger, so its not used any more, so no big deal.
To then get it out from the engine, with the brace plate still in place, I had to bend the plate down ever so slightly to nudge it out.

Then to put it all back together was a fine act of magic.... making sure the siphon was in place, the gasket was in place, and the pan itself was lined up was like tring to thread a needle with a fine hair, from 50 yards away! But I got it!

Torqued everything to spec, put all the hardware back on.... Plus a new power commander, and removed the stock SET valve hardware from the exhaust header, and mounted the new/used race body.

I am going to have to change the oil again, b/c I put the new oil plug in with the new oil pan, instead of the drilled plug from the old pan.... *DOH!*
And I dont like to drain and reuse oil once its been in the engine.... I guess I will justify it in my head by saying I was just flushing it out.... plus after having the pan off, its probley wise to change it again in case a spec of something happend to get in there.

Well, now its hurry up and wait for Road Atl.