06 GSXR 750 ram air tubes need rubber boots?

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Putting together my 06 750 and I need a little information on the ram air tubes and the use of the rubber boots? Simply put do I need them? My track body work is used and I noticed a small hole on each side of the upper where it looks like the previous owner just screwed the tubes in place. Any information will be helpful and appreciated. If you need a better description let me know and I will try my best.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I used "gorilla" ductape to cover mine...lol. As long as your bodywork is sturdy, you don't necessarily need them.

rhill

Not 100% sure the 06+ is the same as mine, but on my 04/05 I use one screw through the bodywork into each tube to secure it to the upper fairing. The tube should "nest" onto the duct of the upper and the one screw should hold it in place when the upper is removed from the bike. I've used gorilla tape on mine; actually bought a set of boots, but don't use them with my newer fairings.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I have an '07. The hole in your trackbodywork likely lines up with a hole in the top of the ram tubes, and they attach there to the top of the upper fairing. Sounds like the same attachment rhill talked about ( the holes I put in my bodywork are same location as stock, in fact, I used the stock plastic pushpins, or whatever you call those things, on mine.) The rubber boots on the end just slide into the large holes in the frame in front of the airbox. Mine don't fit perfectly. The boots just help make a better seal to the airbox, and help keep the tubes inside that large hole. If you can keep the tubes in place without the rubber boots, it should be fine. If they slip out, and you can't get the boots separately, perhaps some electrical tape wrapped around will help.

Just confirming what rhill said, as it sounds the same for the '06/'07 models.

dsmitty37

I would think you would want the boots to help seal the ducts into the frame so that the ducts are doing the work they were designed to do. I need to get the push pins for mine (08 GSX-R 600) to hold the ducts to my upper fairing.