06 R6 Fuel Pump???

JBallz

bike flipped and landed on its top.
The fuel tank was crushed. When I got back to pit the bike started up. Got back home and now it wont start. Sounds like its not getting fuel. Took tank off and pump appears undamaged.

Any advice? Can i have a fuel pump tested to see if it is any good?

stow

Probably not the fuel pump. Check all of your tank connections. Check the obvious like the kill switch, kickstand switch, clutch switch, etc. You can download a service manual from R6 Messagenet.

Shane

barry38

My fuel pump crapped out on me last year with no warning. One minute bike was running great. Next minute won't start. Spray some ether into the intake. If it starts on ether they dies. It's probabaly the fuel pump.

You getting any FI codes?????????

bigkaley

Control Rider
Just happened to have gotten finished working on an '06 R6, including working on the fuel pump. There is a procedure in the OEM Service Manual (Page 8-98) to check the fuel pump operation. Basically it involves removing the fuel line from the injector rail and putting it into a container, the attaching 12v power to the fuel pump terminal on the bottom of the tank (positive to "red/blue" side of terminal, negative to "black").
Also, I would suggest that if the only thing different is that you had the bike running at the track in the pits and then transported it home, make sure to check that your internal vent line is not pinched. If the tank got crushed down, there's a good chance that the tank can't vent. Check this by opening your gas cap and then trying to start the bike.

JBallz

Thanks for the advice.

What is an FI code?

And I did not know there was a tip over switch? Can you explain? This is news to me.

bigkaley

Control Rider
FI code= Fuel Injection Code-- they are found in the service manual and usually are displayed on the dash of the bike.

Tip over swich shuts off the fuel pump after the bike reaches a certain angle. If everything's in good shape, turning the key off and then on again will reset the tip over.

Yes, the big hole in the airbox will have somewhat of an effect, but since you already had the bike running at the track I'd be concerned with any materials/ debris that were in the damaged airbox being pulled down through the intake. Make sure to pull everything apart and check/ clean everything thoroughly.

barry38

bigkaley;51907 wrote: FI code= Fuel Injection Code-- they are found in the service manual and usually are displayed on the dash of the bike.

Tip over swich shuts off the fuel pump after the bike reaches a certain angle. If everything's in good shape, turning the key off and then on again will reset the tip over.

Yes, the big hole in the airbox will have somewhat of an effect, but since you already had the bike running at the track I'd be concerned with any materials/ debris that were in the damaged airbox being pulled down through the intake. Make sure to pull everything apart and check/ clean everything thoroughly.
Thanks Tom!!!!!

JBallz

holy crap...I came up with 9 fi codes. apparently the tip over sensor can set off the other codes. fingers crossed thats what it is.

mr.croom

$20 bucks says its the Tip sensor. It usually takes quite a bit of force to get the check ball (or linkage arm, however your specific switch may be set up) inside of the sensor to move and break the circuit, and sometimes the ball (i.e. arm, dial, weight) just hangs up. I had the same thing happen to my 636 the first time I laid it down.

JBallz

code 22...bike seems to be running fine other than the gas that leaked because I did not put in one of the bolts.