07 r6 weak brakes?

henry954

New to the forum. I was down at njmp roughly 1 month ago as a spectator at a trackday. I said," SELF", You need to be doing this. Of I went on the search for a sportbike. First I had to sell my zrx1200. Settled for a 2007 r6 that i purchased with 600 miles last week. I am currently having a blast:adore: learning how to ride it. I mean coming from bigger displacement bikes to a 600 is like learning how to ride all over again(for me). Anyway Im used to much grabbier brakes. Dont know if this is normal. I have to really get on that front brake to make it stop. I read that these bikes had great brakes. Could it be that they are designed to not press your eyeballs to your helmet shield? I dont Know. Basically I want to know if this is unique to my bike. Meaning something im going to have to fix. thanks.

snikwad

Did u have aftermarket pads on your 12?

Them oe pads aren't the best, neither are those brake lines. The R6 does however feature Brembo MCs... So go on and buy some SS braided lines and some vesrah RJL pads for that R6 if you want your eyes to pop out of your head.

Macon663

If you've got a problem w/ your brakes, try bleeding them first. You may have some air in the line. If you're getting fade or just not enough power out of them, a set of RJL pads and stainless steel lines will solve that problem in a hurry.

henry954

My zrx was completely stock. But the brakes were really good. Im going to give the bleeding a try. Have to go and get one of those mighty vacs. Then i will try those braided lines with the vesrahs. Thanks for the feedback

mnofpeace

Another vote here for better pads and SS lines...

My R6 had avg. stopping power initially...replaced the pads, big improvement, replaced the lines, BIGGER IMPROVEMENT...much more power and feel.

Those are relatively cheap changes to make, once you do, you surely will see the braking performance that improve exponentially, and you will be truely satisfied with them.

snikwad

the problem with the yamaha brakes are those pistons just dont grab like the Tokicos that the other bikes come with.

Katie785

mnofpeace;14686 wrote: Another vote here for better pads and SS lines...

My R6 had avg. stopping power initially...replaced the pads, big improvement, replaced the lines, BIGGER IMPROVEMENT...much more power and feel.

Those are relatively cheap changes to make, once you do, you surely will see the braking performance that improve exponentially, and you will be truely satisfied with them.
AGREED. My 07 r6 had the same problem. Changed the fluid (blue) SS lines. And next : brake pads. I dont know what I have in there, but they suck. My 636 brakes killed these but the lines made a big improvement both on the initial and the consistency of brake power.

dogger

Installed Goodridge Superbike lines. Modest improvement in bite and no fade. Installed Vesrah SRJL pads (with Dereks advice). Motul 5.1 juice. Breaks are freakin awesome. No fade. Great initial bite. Progressive modulation. 1/2 the lever effort. '08 r6.

henry954

Yeahhh baby, Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Good to know im not imagining things. You guys just saved me a weeks worth of brake obsession. Now I can go to work tomorrow and actually get something done:)