07 R6v Wont stay running. Please help!

chrisplm

Chris
Hey guys. I'm looking for some Experience/Help on this one.
I've got an 07 R6V with only 500 miles on it. everything is stock except the exhaust, block off plates and PCIII. (I disconnected the PCIII and it made no difference).

I'm pretty proficient at fixing things. but I'm thinking this is a common problem that someone else has had. and i'm hoping to save some time an money if anyone else has seen this problem.

Here is what happened:
I was at the track riding, and everything felt ok....as i came into the paddock and pulled under my easy up.. it stalled, when I tried to restart it.. it would barely fire.

The issue is this:
It will barely fire/start. when it does, it will barely stay running or idle..
at first I thought it was the fuel pump, so i replaced that, but no difference.
now i'm thinking its something electrical... The Check engine light has not come on. so I assume there are no codes.

I should mention that it was raining at the track, so things could have gotten wet.. but i've ridden in rain before on my previous R6 and never had a problem. plus those things usually have really well sealed connections.
And so far I've not been able to find water in any connections.

I'm guessing it's got to be a sensor or something that just went bad, but becuase it was running fine, and then all the sudden it just crapped out.

The weird part is when it starts, it's inconsistent.
I mean I may get a couple good revs out of it, then the motor will cough and fall on it's face.
Either way it wont even stay running enought to get it into gear.

Has anyone had anything like this happen?

I have 3 track days in the next two weeks that I cant cancel. so i need to get this fixed ASAP..
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I don't know about R6's, but this would be my initial checklist:

Fuel pump fuse/relay
Check all other fuses and relays
Vent fuel pressure, then turn on and listen for pump building pressure
Check for spark
Test alternator/rectifier/coils

It could be a multitude of things, but start out checking the simple ones.

borgNSR

You probably did this, but when you changed the fuel pump, you did drain the tank and put fresh gas in, right? A friend on an R6 had water get sucked into his tank in the rain, worked ok on track, but when he came off, it died and then ran like you described. If you didn't fully drain that tank to bone dry, it might still be there at the bottom, pooling near the fuel intake.

Thinkmoto

Never rule out a bad sensor somewhere or its possibly about to die on you.

I'd start with what the guys said above, maybe you have some bad gas in the tank?

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
I have the same thing happening to me right now. I think my bike just doesnt like the mornings anymore. Started after I drove up to NJMP in the rain. Stalled on me going through T10 on T-bolt. Now, it happens every morning. I have to give'r a little throttle to start and keep the revs up to 3-4k for a minute or two until the engine is hot. Usually only happens in the morning and sometimes after lunch.

Landshark

Control Rider
All this water in fuel talk. To avoid that I tape the gas cap during wet nights and wet sessions if it really coming down.

dolfnz67

I have a friend who leaves his bike outside during the winter. Anyway, when he started it up, he didn't realize that his belly pan was full of water. Needless to say, the over flow hoses from his tank sucked up the water into his gas tank which gave him a similar problem to what you're having. He found out that his injectors were damaged due to the water. He didn't get a code and was told by the shop mechanic that the bike wouldn't give him a code due to the clogged rails and injectors. So maybe you can look into the fuel rails and injectors.

Schuber2_S

Same sort of issue, 04 R6

I'm dealing with the same issues you describe on an 04 R6. I was hoping against hope that it was just the TPS acting up as there are numerous postings on the R6 forums about them but such was not the case. I'm subscribed to this thread to see what comes about. Definitely sucks not knowing what's going on somewhere in there so I feel for you.